Earthquake Near DC

Anyone live near DC like me?

woke us up at 5am, the house was shaking and the windows were rattling. By the time I realized something was going on I was awake and knew I wasn’t dreaming.

Considering where we live I looked outside expecting a bomb might have gone off, not an earthquake

You might want to distance yourself from Congress…

I was just heading out for work at that time and didn’t feel anything. I been cheated!

I didn’t feel a thing.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/top/all/7111190.html

The only earth quake in mass shook me off the side of my bed. Falling out of bed is a bad start to the day.

I caught IT felt like a garbage truck backing into the house. Mannnnn My main bragging point of living on the east coast is this shit does not happen here.

Time to shake things up at the Capital.

I didn’t feel it, but apparently my five and six year olds did. They both came in about 5 AM and promptly hopped in bed practically pushing me and my pregnant wife onto the floor.

It woke me up and I’m a heavy sleeper. I didn’t realize what it was until this morning people were talking about it.

Anyone know how that happened? I thought you needed to be over a fault line?

[quote]al1492 wrote:
It woke me up and I’m a heavy sleeper. I didn’t realize what it was until this morning people were talking about it.

Anyone know how that happened? I thought you needed to be over a fault line?[/quote]

Not sure, but a news article said we had one in a very similar location back in '96 and '97, but I was further south in MD at the time, and they said it was mainly a local effect.

Guess I slept right through that shit

my buddy says it’s his fault, he was bangin a couple of fatties last night, lol

I didn’t feel it up in Baltimore, but I got a call this morning from a friend of mine that she needed me to drive down and hold her so she wouldn’t be so scared. :slight_smile:

[quote]al1492 wrote:
Anyone know how that happened? I thought you needed to be over a fault line?[/quote]

Yes and no.

Earthquakes are common even in tectonically ‘passive’ areas. You probably have many 1-3’s that you never hear about because you don’t typically feel them and they’re below your threshold for detection.

The type of geology in your area affects how you feel the quake as well. Unconsolidated materials such as sands/loams ‘move’ more during an event versus solid bedrock.

There are lots of faults around that area, they are just relatively passive as the mid-atlantic region is not generally tectonically active.

I woke up and thought it was a bomb too! Not a good feeling to wake up to (I wished Jack Bauer were there to save me). I’ve been watching too many episodes of 24! LOL

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[quote]al1492 wrote:

Yes and no.

Earthquakes are common even in tectonically ‘passive’ areas. You probably have many 1-3’s that you never hear about because you don’t typically feel them and they’re below your threshold for detection.

The type of geology in your area affects how you feel the quake as well. Unconsolidated materials such as sands/loams ‘move’ more during an event versus solid bedrock.

There are lots of faults around that area, they are just relatively passive as the mid-atlantic region is not generally tectonically active.[/quote]

Interesting, thanks for the info!

From the news it said it was a 3.5. Thats nothing, come down to the bay!!

I thought everyone lived in Ohio.