Earthquake in Indiana?

I’m sitting at my computer at 5:30 in the morning and my house starts shaking. My wife kind of freaked out because it woke her up. At first I thought it was just a strong gust of wind, but the window was open so I would have felt it come through. I’m not used to my house shaking so I thought I would post about it. Did anyone else in Indiana experience this? I live in East Central Indiana.

Check it out.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/04/18/illinois.earthquake/index.html

I slept right thru it, didn’t even hear about it until I got to work. Everyone here was freaking out about tho.

I thought someone was trying to break in… freaked me out

There’s reports in the KC Star today that people felt it as far away as Olathe, the southwestern most suburb of KC.

Now that I think about it my bedroom door swung open for no reason at about that time. I’m about 30 miles southwest of Olathe.

I was awake and felt it. At first I thought it was a tornado but it was too quiet and there weren’t any storms in the forecast. This is the first earthquake I have ever been able to feel.

bpeck

I live about a half mile from a major fault, so I have this on bookmark:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/index.php

Click to zoom for info.

Indiana aint got nothin on California. You guys enjoy your little pebble in the quarry. 8)

[quote]sumgai wrote:
Indiana aint got nothin on California. You guys enjoy your little pebble in the quarry. 8)[/quote]

lol as you fall into the sea…or so the East coast has been hearing for years.

Really…just jump in already.

[quote]CrewPierce wrote:
sumgai wrote:
Indiana aint got nothin on California. You guys enjoy your little pebble in the quarry. 8)

lol as you fall into the sea…or so the East coast has been hearing for years.

Really…just jump in already.[/quote]

haha Yes, yes, the water is rising past my knees as I type. (I lived in Indy for two years not long ago so I figure I’d poke fun at them.) Indiana is very boring so they need all the excitement that an earthquake can bring them. 8) The one thing I miss most about Indiana is MCL Cafeteria! Mmmmm.

BTW, Crew, congrats on your awesome physique clinic results.

I just felt another one. This one was a 4.5 on the USGS website.

bpeck

[quote]bpeck wrote:
I just felt another one. This one was a 4.5 on the USGS website.

bpeck[/quote]

I felt that one, but slept through the first

[quote]sumgai wrote:
CrewPierce wrote:
sumgai wrote:
(I lived in Indy for two years not long ago so I figure I’d poke fun at them.) Indiana is very boring so they need all the excitement that an earthquake can bring them. 8) The one thing I miss most about Indiana is MCL Cafeteria![/quote]

Indiana IS boring. Nothing to do, nothing to see. I wish I lived elsewhere.

I blame Bush’s foreign policy

[quote]etaco wrote:

Click to zoom for info.[/quote]

Interesting site. WTF, do the Aleutian Islands have earthquakes every day?

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
etaco wrote:

Click to zoom for info.

Interesting site. WTF, do the Aleutian Islands have earthquakes every day?[/quote]

The frequent tiny ones are only displayed for the US. It’s interesting checking in once in a while to get a feel for the frequency of larger ones in some places. Japan seems to have multiple 5+ quakes per week and it seems like there’s a 7+ per week in the south pacific. Even in the most earthquake prone areas of the US, we still have it pretty easy.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I blame Bush’s foreign policy[/quote]

No it is that Obama

Yeah I think someone said they felt it up here in Michigan. I’m not sure if they really did, but I did hear about the earthquake.

I was awakened in St. Louis in the middle of the night to my bed shaking for no apparent reason. I said to myself it must be a dream and went back to bed. I’d completely forgotten about it in the morning until my landlord asked about the earthquake.

Just FYI, the New Madrid Fault line (which produced this quake) has produced much stronger earthquakes in the past. The last one in 1812 was an 8.0 that permanently rerouted parts of the Mississippi River and forced portions of it to run backwards momentarily.

I’m from Massachusetts, so I didn’t feel this one, but we had a really small one about 6 years ago. It was the morning after I watched the Exorcist for the first time, and I woke up at 6 AM to my bed shaking a little bit. I was mildly sketched out.

I’ve read before that the midwest is actually due for a big quake soon.