T Nation

Earphones Shocking You on the Treadmill

Hey Guys,

At the gym I work at I have now had three people come up to me and complain that their earphones gave them an electric shock on the treadmill.

I have notified management but was wondering if anybody else has had similar complaints.

thanks
Mike

p.s. Sorry for the weird photo. I tried to find a hot chick in a bikini with earphones but no luck.

I have had that happen a few times, but it stopped after I changed my headphones from apple’s regular buds.

Tell them to buy better earphones.

I’ve only gotten a shocken from my earphones when I’m in the locker room and I take off my fleece (if I’m wearing one) and my headphone wire rubs up against my fleece. I usually just touch my fleece to the metal lockers to dissipate any static build up.

Someone said this happened to them in my gym.Probably too much static. It won’t kill you.

It’s not the headphones per say.

We have the same issue with our Cybex treadmills, but not the Life Fitness.

I’ve contacted Cybex and they’ve said that there’s nothing they can do, though my boss wasn’t too happy about it.

If one brand doesn’t cause it, then another brand shouldn’t either.

AFAIK, Cybex has never come out to fix the problem, and I got a slight zap the other day.

static.
usually people wearing wind pants or jackets (the ones that make that “zip-zop-zip-zop” sound) have that problem more than others.

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
static.
usually people wearing wind pants or jackets (the ones that make that “zip-zop-zip-zop” sound) have that problem more than others.[/quote]

x2

-it happens mostly in cool dry weather seasons.
-it happens when people are wearing dri-fit, polyester type material
-or static has built up walking to the equipment or while using the equipment.

Here:

[quote]crimson_lily wrote:
Here:[/quote]

epic headphone win.

[quote]crimson_lily wrote:
Here:[/quote]

Gesus.

Static. try wearing cotton clothes. This should in theory reduce static by a lot since cotton per se tends to remain neutrally charged.