Early Morning Workout Help

I need some help on what I need to do different for my early morning workout. Its a shame, but I am 35 years old and just decided to make my body a priority in Feb 2012. I am not ashamed to admit that I really don’t know what I’m doing.

In the 9 months I’ve been working out I’ve gone from 251 lbs to 212 lbs, but still around 20 % body fat. There is still a long way to go.

I am the father of 4 and work an 8-5 job so my 4:00 am workouts is the time that I have available that lets me balance my workouts with living a life. I’d like to know if anyone else out there is doing this same type of schedule, and if so what supplements should I be taking to get the most out of my work at this time of the morning.

Here is my morning schedule:

4:00 am - wake up
4:15 am - pre workout mix + 3:3:1 BCAAs
4:30 am - work out
6:00 am - post workout 50 g of protien + creatine + multi vitamin
9:00 am - Breakfast - usually 3 egg whites + 2 whole eggs

Someone tear this down for me. What’s right? What’s wrong? What’s completely stupid?

What’s in your preworkout mix? Are there some decent, fast acting carbs in there? I would also skip the BCAAs, with protein shakes there just isn’t much reason for them except to spend money.

Make sure your post workout has carbs in it, it’ll help significantly with recovery.
You might want to eat just a bit more for breakfast and maybe skip the egg whites and have all whole eggs.

How about this?

[quote]jaketky wrote:
Here is my morning schedule:

4:00 am - wake up
4:15 am - pre workout mix + 3:3:1 BCAAs
4:30 am - work out
6:00 am - 50 g of protien + creatine
9:00 am - 50 g of protein
noon - Food + multi vitamin
[/quote]
Edit: I didn’t realize your pre-workout supp. and protein shakes had carbs in them.
My recommendation was based on a IF style feeding plan.

[quote]bigscarymonster wrote:
What’s in your preworkout mix? Are there some decent, fast acting carbs in there? I would also skip the BCAAs, with protein shakes there just isn’t much reason for them except to spend money.

Make sure your post workout has carbs in it, it’ll help significantly with recovery.
You might want to eat just a bit more for breakfast and maybe skip the egg whites and have all whole eggs.[/quote]

I don’t think I was very clear in the beginning. My main concern is that I am lifting in a catabolic state ( I am afraid of that. I don’t know that its true). That’s why I take the BCAAs before I lift. Like I said, I really don’t know what’s right, but I read something on the internet that the BCAAs were good for keeping your muscles from cannibalizing.

My prework out is 1MR. I am putting a serving of gatorade in my post workout protein shake. I think that’s close to 40 grams of carbs post workout.

[quote]jaketky wrote:
I don’t think I was very clear in the beginning. My main concern is that I am lifting in a catabolic state ( I am afraid of that. I don’t know that its true). That’s why I take the BCAAs before I lift. Like I said, I really don’t know what’s right, but I read something on the internet that the BCAAs were good for keeping your muscles from cannibalizing.

My prework out is 1MR. I am putting a serving of gatorade in my post workout protein shake. I think that’s close to 40 grams of carbs post workout.[/quote]

Don’t worry about catabolism; it’s been turned into a scarecrow to push supplements. MAny people have successfully worked out in a fasted state. That being said, just stop using them for two weeks and see if it makes any difference.

Caffeine tablets!

If he takes caffeine tablets with the 1MR he’ll probably go into v-tach and die.

If you’re really worried about being in a catabolic state when you’re lifting start sucking down a shake with whey protein in it when you get up along with some simple carbs.

Don’t put gatorade in your post workout shake, eat a couple pieces of toast and jam or something. Gatorade really isn’t very good for you.

Gatorade is Sucrose right? The only reason I was putting it in was to add carbs after workout. I never really think about eating after my workout, but I love toast and jam so that is a good idea.

I handle the stimulants in 1MR pretty well. I usually have a couple cups of coffee between 8 and 10 am. The first week it really reved things up, but I would compound it pre workout.

Have eaten oatmeal with a scoop of whey pre workout in the past, but the 1MR label says on an empty stomach so I did away with that.

Is there anything better to drink besides 1MR early morning pre workout? I can tell a difference in my energy level between when I take it and when I don’t. I am not married to the stuff. Any recommendations or stacks that anyone really likes?

A preworkout is kind of a preworkout. They have a bunch of stimulants in them, it’s how they all work. If the 1MR works for you and you feel it helps your workout just stick with it.

The reason they tell you to have it on an empty stomach is to aid in maximum absorption. It’ll probably still work fine if you eat something as well but you won’t know unless you try.

As far as the coffee, having it separated by a couple hours probably gives you enough time to let the caffeine from the preworkout dissipate a bit. I’m just saying having all the stimulants from the preworkout plus extra caffeine pills is probably a bad idea.

Waking up might be an option.
You should not be overweight at your age.
Adding things is your problem.
Asking us what to add is asking us to dig your grave.

Stop being lazy, dig it yourself.
When you start to understand, take a new username, show a readyness, maybe you will get answers you will be ready to read.
All the best !

[quote]BHappy wrote:

When you start to understand, take a new username, show a readyness, maybe you will get answers you will be ready to read.
All the best ![/quote]
DAFAQ?

The OP has made a commitment to fitness/health and made good progress.

You don’t need to spew your self-righteous sh*t in here, go troll another website.

[quote]BHappy wrote:

All the best ![/quote]

Thank you for what is quite possibly the least helpful post ever. He’s asking direct questions and listening to the answers, pretty much exactly what a forum is to be used for.

WOW…BHappy seems to have a long list of useless posts in such a short time.
OP I supplement a lot like you and must workout in AM too. First thing I take is a preworkout of C4 then on my way to the gym I drink whey and carbs. I drink BCCA’s during workout and then whey, carbs, creatine and glutamine post. I still have 10 lbs to lose but have found that the more carbs I take pre and post the better I feel and perform. I’m still able to lose a pound a week with the added carbs. I’ve learned not to be afraid of carbs. Keep at it.

I am sorry that i vented out frustrations where i should not have.
All the best !

If he takes caffeine tablets with the 1MR he’ll probably go into v-tach and die.

.[/quote]

I took 1.5 grams of caffiene one time, had a very strong urge to perform hard spastik movements and jump over things.

Just make sure to drink some water and you’ll be good.

[quote]Field wrote:

.[/quote]

I took 1.5 grams of caffiene one time, had a very strong urge to perform hard spastik movements and jump over things.

Just make sure to drink some water and you’ll be good.[/quote]

The problem is that everybody reacts to caffeine differently. Some people are naturally not very caffeine sensitive, i.e. you and I, others are very sensitive, i.e. the guys who drink a large monster and end up in the E.R. with a 160 resting heart rate.

You have to be really careful when you’re messing with stimulants.

I’ve trained in the mornings for awhile now and this is what I rely on:

• 0530 proplus, black coffee or some sort of stimulant
  • follow this quickly with the following thrown into the blender: 50g raw oats, 2 big scoops whey (approx 65g), about 10g of brazil nuts
  • I then drive to the gym, usually getting started about 1 hour after I have drank that shake, although I’m ready to train within about 30 minutes.
  • PWO I’ll have a shake with 4:1 carb/protein ratio, about 100 g carb/ 25 protein.
  • Once I get to work, about an hour in (so about 1.5-2 hours after training) I’ll smash back a big packed ‘lunch’ of 2-3 chicken breasts and a bag or rice (80g carb).
  • Eat as normal for the rest of the day!

Training in the AM rocks. No people, no waiting and no excuses at the end of a long day!

The problem with Happy’s post is it was incomprehensible to a novice like me :). Something about digging and changing me name. Ok?

I appreciate the responses and it doesn’t sound like anyone thinks what I am doing is nuts. That’s a bonus. After reading some other threads and articles on this site it looks like to gain some muscle I need to eat more and drink more water. Any other good advice for a 35 year old beginner who admittedly doesn’t know much?