T Nation

Early Morning Pre Workout Meal

Here’s the deal, I train at 5:15AM. I am trying to gather some info on a quick pre workout meal. In the past I have just taken a shake 30 min before. other times I have not taken anything besides coffee, figuring I would take advantage of the high level of T and GH in my body. Both worked ok, as sessions did not regress. Just trying to gauage what early morning lifters do. Eating at this time is a little difficult. what do you early morning lifters do??
Thanks. I look forward to the responses.

[quote]maa1031 wrote:
Here’s the deal, I train at 5:15AM. I am trying to gather some info on a quick pre workout meal. In the past I have just taken a shake 30 min before. other times I have not taken anything besides coffee, figuring I would take advantage of the high level of T and GH in my body. Both worked ok, as sessions did not regress. Just trying to gauage what early morning lifters do. Eating at this time is a little difficult. what do you early morning lifters do??
Thanks. I look forward to the responses.[/quote]

There are a lot of ways to go about this but from the sounds of it you are pressed for time and maybe you don’t want to have something whole food wise.

Liquid peri-workout nutrition could be something for you to look into.

or

This is all assuming you don’t want to have a whole food meal prior.

1 Like

[quote]maa1031 wrote:
Thanks. I look forward to the responses.[/quote]

I started lifting at 5:30 two weeks ago. I have a Clif Builder Bar or Powerbar before the workout, a mid-workout shake, and then go home and have breakfast.

Half cup oatmeal and a protein shake. Quick and easy

I used to do oats + banana in a protein shake but the carbs didn’t always hit me immediately. Early AM is really the only time I personally want a carb powder. I haven’t tried Anaconda or Surge but I think early workouts would be ideal for them

I’m in the gym by 5:45.

I eat peanut butter on a spoon, chug a glass of water and pour coffee and whey in a shaker that I drink during the drive.

You can have a big carby meal at night the day before you lift.

I start training at 6:30am.

At 5:45 I have a cup of basmati rice with 120 grams of bake beans, a coffee and about a litre of water.

tweet

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
You can have a big carby meal at night the day before you lift.[/quote]

this is how I’d do it. THen I’d just have a coffee and some BCAAs/a shake pre-training

[quote]PB Andy wrote:
You can have a big carby meal at night the day before you lift.[/quote]

this + caffeine powder and crystal lite pre-workout.

I have a serving of Mag10 at 4:00
stimulant at 4:45
start drinking Anaconda at 5:00
and lift at 5:15

works great for me

This is what I do - been lifting in the early AM for over 15 years and this was a recent discovery has done wonders.
6oz G2 Gatorade (Orange), 1/2 a Spike energy shooter (Orange gold), and 1 big scoop of Power Drive. If your really tired you can do a whole bottle of spike energy shooter.
Really lights up the ole CNS.

Once they get Finibars back in stock you could also give them a try.

As for whole food I’ve not had a ton of issues with yogurt and bananas and they seem to sit well (although I never have whole food if I’m squatting or deadlifting - on those day the carb up the night before is what I do).

Damn you guys lift early.

your best bet would really be this

upon waking up : FINiBAR(1)

35mins later, start drinking Anaconda 10-15mins pre gym

You will be getting most of your carbs during your workout :slight_smile:

The cost is higher than a banana and 1 scoop of whey, obvi, but it will also work much better

It mixes so well that its damn easy on the stomach, too

[quote]zraw wrote:
your best bet would really be this

upon waking up : FINiBAR(1)

35mins later, start drinking Anaconda 10-15mins pre gym

You will be getting most of your carbs during your workout :slight_smile:

The cost is higher than a banana and 1 scoop of whey, obvi, but it will also work much better

It mixes so well that its damn easy on the stomach, too[/quote]

Agree
I am in the gym before 4am on work days.
Set the alarm for 2am to take Indigo-3G (if you choose this), get up at 2:45am have some coffee and a FINiBAR by 3 - 3:15am and off to the gym by 3:45am. I also use Anaconda. Plenty of energy for the workout.