early morning jog

Ok, I’m trying to make myself a little more consistent. I figure waking up early and going for a jog every morning is a good way to start the day. Would it be better to just wake up and go or eat a lil something first? Btw, don’t get the idea that I’m all fat and out of shape. I play ice hockey almost everyday, but I still want some more consistency regarding everything else, like training and eating and class.

The real question is, do you need extra cardio? Isn’t your sport enough? Too much cardio and you’ll have a harder time building muscle. Are you lifting? Jogging a mile is no biggie, but if you don’t need it, then why do it?

I would skip the run altogether and hit the gym but that just me. I don’t know about you but if I eat before I run I am in for a whole lot of pain and dscomfort. If you need to eat give yourelf at least an hour before you run.

Might be a good way to wake up your body in the morning…I’ve been considering doing a similar thing myself recently. For me, doing those early morning runs on an empty stomach got me extremely ripped in a short amount of time (which I don’t think is your goal). I do think that doing some moderate exercise in the morning will give you a better mindset for the rest of the day, and if you want to “get up and go”, I’d skip the breakfast (tell the anti-catabolic freaks to take a break). Good luck with whatever you do.
PS. remember to ease into it as your body may be stiff and your heart rate will be at it’s lowest right off the bat.

Just started a new workout schedule with uni starting next Monday, and I’ve been getting up at 5:30-6:00am as a result. First, I struggle out of bed (it’s getting easier) and fix myself 2-3 cups of coffee and 1-1.5 litres of water. I drink this and read the paper for about 20 minutes in order to wake up and psych up. Next, I do a rope-work warm-up followed by a 30 minute lifting session concentrating on core lifts (get to train at home so this is all very convenient). While I’m lifting I sip on a 60g carb, 20g protein drink. After I’ve lifted, I hit the streets for a 15 minute run, before heading home and throwing a couple of ice packs on my knees and eating a big breakfast of oats and whey. I’m finding that its a brilliant way to start the day. Despite the many things that are wrong with the science of what I’m doing, I’m really loving it and can’t wait to see what results I start getting.

That sounds like exactly what I want to do! I’m curious, what kind of rope work do you do? I’m thinking about incorporating Coach Davies’ rope training that was in that one article. I donno if that’d be beneficial that early in the morning or not though. But yeah, the only problem is I can’t lift at home. I hope you don’t mind if I copy off you. :wink:

Umm u better eat before that cardio.You’re body is already in a catabolic state.You need to feed it.That’ll just take away your muscle gains:)

Big B, that’s very similar to what I do. I get up at 4:15, have 1 cup of coffee and 1/2 Balance Bar while I read Testosterone, then drink some water to hydrate, get dressed and take two M6, mix my Surge with extra carbs, sip a little Surge as I head to the gym, in the parking lot of the gym, I do 4 sets of 200 skips on rope with 1 minute rest in between, then 4-6 sprints of varying distances with 1 minute rest in between. I then go stretch and start sipping my Surge again and hit the weights. I love this routine. One day during the week, I substitute the warmup described with a 20-30 minute jog to help maintain general conditioning, and I do another 20-30 jog on Saturday - a day I don’t lift. I tried jogging after lifting and prefer doing it before. Crap, it’s 4:30 right now. Gotta go!

My rope work is simply 3 x 3 minute rounds with 1 minute rest (passive) in between. Its just a warm-up and helps get me into the swing of things. That said, I go all-out. I throw in “sprints” and am trying to encorporate new footwork (it’s tough and I’m not the most graceful - hehe).