T Nation

E-Readers

Anyone use these or have experience with them? I need something for my old eyes and find tablets too reflective. How about obtaining ebooks, expensive? Looked at some of the reviews for Kindle and Kobo but would like an unbiased opinion. Thanks

I use Kindle on my phone. (Shit gets expensive man.)

I always turn my background to that yellowish color, if the background behind the text is white, I can’t read for more than a couple mins.

Kindle, hands down. I have one of the older ones. You can read it for hours with no eye strain what so ever. I haven’t tried their new paper white one.

Lot’s of free books online and through the Kindle app too.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Lot’s of free books online and through the Kindle app too. [/quote]

Unless you’re reading romance novels or classics, the bulk of those are shit books, imo.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Unless you’re reading romance novels or classics, the bulk of those are shit books, imo.
[/quote]

Ya, I was referring mostly to classics.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Kindle, hands down. I have one of the older ones. You can read it for hours with no eye strain what so ever. I haven’t tried their new paper white one.

gotta 2nd this … I have a plain kindle. Retired my tablet for reading and stick strictly to my old skill kindle (not backlit) and physical books. I think I got mine for like 40 or 50 bucks on sale. I think they usually run about 70 or 80.

Check out amazon used or ebay or craigslist. You can probably get one for like 30 or 40 bucks.

If you have a Samsung smartphone, I’m pretty sure the Kindle app is standard. No need for a new device.

I have a kindle DX. I love the thing. I get less eye strain with it than with paper.

I also read from my tablet. I turned the background black (white text) and set the brightness down and it is easy to read from.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
I have a kindle DX. I love the thing. I get less eye strain with it than with paper.

I also read from my tablet. I turned the background black (white text) and set the brightness down and it is easy to read from.[/quote]

I used to do that with my tablet and it helped significantly … but it’s still not as good for me as the kindle

I never thought I’d switch over, but I LOVE my kindle. I have a Paperwhite, and it’s much better than reading on a tablet or computer screen. I’d avoid the Kindle Fire, for that reason.

You can set the font a bit larger and read it on the treadmill. You don’t have to fiddle with trying to keep the book open, and trying to turn the pages. I haven’t taken a paper book to the gym since I got it. Also, I don’t have to haul books around when we travel. I always have the thing in my purse so if I get stuck waiting somewhere I have a book.

Also, about cost of books - My local library has a big selection of ebooks. You can check out 5 at a time for free, without having to drive down there. I use it all the time. My friend has library cards from all the surrounding towns so she can check out ebooks from any of them. The Mister uses project Gutenberg quite often to read free classics on his.

We do have kindleunlimited, and it’s been worth the $9.99 per month for us.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

We do have kindleunlimited, and it’s been worth the $9.99 per month for us.[/quote]

Been thinking about this…

I read almost exclusively nonfiction. Memoirs, auto’s, biography, history, economics, and a wee bit of social commentary. Nothing I seem interested is listed as free with unlimited.

Oh, just a couple of other things -

The older generation Kindles didn’t have a lighted screen. The newer ones do. It’s nice if you’re spouse is trying to sleep. They can turn out the bedroom light and you’re reading isn’t bothering them.

Also, if your wife reads a lot, you can share books or read a book at the same time, since it’s in the cloud. We sometimes do that, and it’s nice because you can talk about the book as you’re reading it. We both use his Amazon Prime account for Kindle stuff, since we have multiple Kindle’s.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:

We do have kindleunlimited, and it’s been worth the $9.99 per month for us.[/quote]

Been thinking about this…

I read almost exclusively nonfiction. Memoirs, auto’s, biography, history, economics, and a wee bit of social commentary. Nothing I seem interested is listed as free with unlimited.[/quote]

Yeah, you’d have to search those categories. It might not be worth it for you, especially if you have a decent selection of ebooks at your library. The first year I had my Kindle, I barely bought any books, just used the library all the time.

Oh, AND for people who try to read scriptures everyday, you can just keep your Bible on there.

I use the Kindle dictionary function All. The. Time. I used to read traditional books and keep my iPod Touch on the table next to me to access the dictionary. The Kindle makes that part much nicer.

I swear, I’m receiving no compensation from Amazon. :slight_smile:

If you have a Samsung smartphone, I’m pretty sure the Kindle app is standard. No need for a new device. [/quote]

It’s totally different on your eyes though. Like night and day at least on my S4 vs Kindle.

[quote]Powerpuff wrote:
Oh, just a couple of other things -

The older generation Kindles didn’t have a lighted screen. The newer ones do. It’s nice if you’re spouse is trying to sleep. They can turn out the bedroom light and you’re reading isn’t bothering them.

Also, if your wife reads a lot, you can share books or read a book at the same time, since it’s in the cloud. We sometimes do that, and it’s nice because you can talk about the book as you’re reading it. We both use his Amazon Prime account for Kindle stuff, since we have multiple Kindle’s. [/quote]

After my recent gun/shooting/Jeff Cooper/reloading obsession and current music obsession, my wife’s recommendation list, which was all toddler books and romance novels, now make her look like the weirdest woman on earth.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

If you have a Samsung smartphone, I’m pretty sure the Kindle app is standard. No need for a new device. [/quote]

It’s totally different on your eyes though. Like night and day at least on my S4 vs Kindle. [/quote]

Are you guys changing th page background to that yellowish color? Because it doesn’t bother me when I do that.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

It’s totally different on your eyes though. Like night and day at least on my S4 vs Kindle. [/quote]

Are you guys changing th page background to that yellowish color? Because it doesn’t bother me when I do that. [/quote]

I rarely read on my phone so probably not.

Study finds readers absorb less on eReaders.

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Study finds readers absorb less on eReaders.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/aug/19/readers-absorb-less-kindles-paper-study-plot-ereader-digitisation[/quote]

insert whatever excuse I need to justify ignoring that

I’ve loved both my old school Kindle and my Paperwhite. I got the latter so I can read in bed in the dark, or on airplanes in low light when my boyfriend is sleeping. I can turn the backlight up, down, or off. Like Powerpuff I find its portability a huge selling point. Mine is almost always in my purse.