E-centric vs. Ek-centric?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
He ek-skaped from prison, but was later found asleep huddled in a phone boof… on his birfday.
So let me axe you a queshtin - how’s my pronounciation?[/quote]

This made me LOL too hard! Sadly because I know too many adults who still TAWK this way.

[quote]MartyMonster wrote:
Here’s a quick test…say: Marry merry Mary.

Can you make three different sounding words?

Or…try ‘I scream’ versus ‘Icecream’.

Welcome to the wide world of Homophones![/quote]
I’m a homophone-obic

A lady friend of mine was once told “Manon, you are right well henched, init”.

We have a limited idea of what the hell this native English speaker was trying to convey. I think it meant she was strong. But I hate the ‘init’ word.

In my Kinesiology program in University, I had a few professors that pronounced athlete with three syllables, ath-uh-lete… I must’ve also had many that pronounced eccentric “E-centric”, because that sounds normal to me. I also had one, who was quite accomplished in the area of neuroscience, who pronounced Alzheimers “oltimers.”

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
In my Kinesiology program in University, I had a few professors that pronounced athlete with three syllables, ath-uh-lete… I must’ve also had many that pronounced eccentric “E-centric”, because that sounds normal to me. I also had one, who was quite accomplished in the area of neuroscience, who pronounced Alzheimers “oltimers.”[/quote]

If I had a professor like that, I’d go nukuler, start looking for a new university, ecksetera.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:
In my Kinesiology program in University, I had a few professors that pronounced athlete with three syllables, ath-uh-lete… I must’ve also had many that pronounced eccentric “E-centric”, because that sounds normal to me. I also had one, who was quite accomplished in the area of neuroscience, who pronounced Alzheimers “oltimers.”[/quote]

My wife’s grandmother used to call it Old Timers’ Disease.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

My wife’s grandmother used to call it Old Timers’ Disease.[/quote]

I feel like that is actually how he got it confused, because it almost sounded like he was saying that. Which was weird for a guy who studied Alzheimers and other brain disorders, and was involved in brain surgeries.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

My wife’s grandmother used to call it Old Timers’ Disease.[/quote]

I feel like that is actually how he got it confused, because it almost sounded like he was saying that. Which was weird for a guy who studied Alzheimers and other brain disorders, and was involved in brain surgeries.[/quote]

Maybe he had Alzeimer’s.

I had a meeting with a contractor who wanted me to invest in his condo project. He kept saying, “esposably” as in, “Esposably, the city will issue the permit in the next week.”

Why can’t everyone be just like me? Perfect in every way.

You know what’s even worse? The word “orientate”, which by the way, does not exist! It’s just orient!

[quote]Bungalow wrote:
You know what’s even worse? The word “orientate”, which by the way, does not exist! It’s just orient![/quote]

Hmmm. I refer you to the excellent blog “Sentence First, An Irishman’s blog about the English language”, and specifically, this post about the unusual or reviled words that many dismiss as being “…not real words.” :

“This is rubbish. To cite one example, …, the trisyllabic burglarize is preferred to the tidy burgle in U.S. English. A post I wrote last year about the differences and similarities between orient and orientate shows that despite being widely censured in U.S. English, orientate is standard in British English, has been around since the mid-19th century, and has been used by careful writers for decades. But history and sense are rarely allowed to interfere with peeving.”

[quote]cakewalk wrote:

[quote]Bungalow wrote:
You know what’s even worse? The word “orientate”, which by the way, does not exist! It’s just orient![/quote]

Hmmm. I refer you to the excellent blog “Sentence First, An Irishman’s blog about the English language”, and specifically, this post about the unusual or reviled words that many dismiss as being “…not real words.” :

“This is rubbish. To cite one example, …, the trisyllabic burglarize is preferred to the tidy burgle in U.S. English. A post I wrote last year about the differences and similarities between orient and orientate shows that despite being widely censured in U.S. English, orientate is standard in British English, has been around since the mid-19th century, and has been used by careful writers for decades. But history and sense are rarely allowed to interfere with peeving.”

[/quote]

Stan Carey can go to hell.

Orientate comes from backformation. The verb orient leads to the noun orientation, which was somehow mistranslated back into a verb as orientate. It is like using Google Translate to take a word from English to Urdu and back to English and using it.

One that gets to me is “should of”. Of and have aren’t even homophones!

[quote]238 wrote:
One that gets to me is “should of”. Of and have aren’t even homophones!
[/quote]
“should have”
informally contracts to
“should’ve”
which sounds like
“should of”.
Mystery solved.

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

I have had this happen as well, things like “Skel-e-tal” “progrum” “know-un” and such from the profs are quite irritating.
which university do you attend?

[quote]HERC410 wrote:

[quote]Gmoore17 wrote:

I have had this happen as well, things like “Skel-e-tal” “progrum” “know-un” and such from the profs are quite irritating.
which university do you attend?
[/quote]

I was at Western, graduated Kinesiology in 2010 though. How about yourself?

“Anyways” gets under my skin. It sounds childish. Especially when someone you assume has an education uses it, or someone in the media.

Another peeve I have is when they pronounce Dwight Howard as Da-Wight Howard. I also think Dwyane Wade’s parents misspelled their kid’s name–should be Dwayne. And the apostrophe in Amar’e Stoudemire’s name makes no sense.

It also bugs me how how the name Iron Dwarf is pronounced Phil Collins.