E-centric vs. Ek-centric?

Why do so many sports medicine and medical professionals pronounce “eccentric” as “E-centric” rather than “Ek-centric”? The double c is pronounced just like in the word “success”. This is something that has always irritated me.

Super Saiyan didn’t read it… twice.

On topic:
It’s the same as the folks who say a-cessories instead of ak-cessories (accessories).

I’m most annoyed by those who pronounce the “…ing” sound as “…een”.

For example, “I saw a car accident while I was walkeen down the street”.

It’s those loathsome unnecessary-R-adders that get me! Samanth-er, Dian-er. It’s often the same monsters who leave the R out! Comft-ah-ble.

Jerks.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
It’s those loathsome unnecessary-R-adders that get me! Samanth-er, Dian-er. It’s often the same monsters who leave the R out! Comft-ah-ble.

Jerks.[/quote]

Brits, New Yorkers, Bostonians.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Why do so many sports medicine and medical professionals pronounce “eccentric” as “E-centric” rather than “Ek-centric”? [/quote]

Name and shame time.

[quote]roybot wrote:

Name and shame time.[/quote]

LOL, you want me to post some youtube videos?

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

Jerks.[/quote]

Brits, New Yorkers, Bostonians. [/quote]

May they all burn in hell.

[quote]smallmike wrote:

[quote]roybot wrote:

Name and shame time.[/quote]

LOL, you want me to post some youtube videos?[/quote]

Yes, please.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

Jerks.[/quote]

Let’s not forget Jersey folk. Lol

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

Jerks.[/quote]

May they all burn in hell.[/quote]

If you want to pronounce everything properly get a Canadian from central Canada to pronounce it.

It’s like the dictionary up and talked.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

Jerks.
[/quote]
Brits, New Yorkers, Bostonians.
[/quote]
Native New Yorkers do not add R’s. They only take them away. And not from as many places as Bostonians.

[quote]DaBeard wrote:

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:

Jerks.[/quote]

Let’s not forget Jersey folk. Lol
[/quote]
North Jersey is where they have the best pronunciation of “fahgeddaboudit”, a type of health-protective memory adjustment.

[quote]smallmike wrote:
Why do so many sports medicine and medical professionals pronounce “eccentric” as “E-centric” rather than “Ek-centric”? The double c is pronounced just like in the word “success”. This is something that has always irritated me.
[/quote]
They probably don’t know any better.

I didn’t know any better, myself, until I saw this thread and listened to a few internet-site pronunciations, all of which sounded like “ek-centric”. “Ek-centric” does match the pronunciation of other words with a double-c followed by an e; but for some reason I always thought this particular word was supposed to be pronounced “e-centric”.

I ek-specially hate when the hard T is pronounced in often.
I don’t like the word panties either

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I don’t like the word panties either[/quote]

Agreed. There should be no panties.

He ek-skaped from prison, but was later found asleep huddled in a phone boof… on his birfday.
So let me axe you a queshtin - how’s my pronounciation?

Here’s a quick test…say: Marry merry Mary.

Can you make three different sounding words?

Or…try ‘I scream’ versus ‘Icecream’.

Welcome to the wide world of Homophones!