T Nation

Dynamic Warmup

okay i hear this being said alot by coaches a trainers, but i have never seen anyone explain it, can anyone tell me what it means or involves?

if this thread was made already i apologize, i did a search but nothing came up.

A dynamic warmup simply means that you’re performing dynamic stretches for your entire body prior to lifting. Dynamic stretches are stretches designed to prime the body for a high level of physical performance (eg: front/side/rear leg lifts, torso twists, arm circles, etc.)

They differ from static and ballistic stretching in that they are essentially training flexibility with speed and force, rather than holding a stretch or bouncing in a stretched position (which have both been shown to reduce peak performance in athletes if done prior to training).

Here is a guy who knows what he’s doing:

You could honestly just imitate exactly what he does and be on the right track.

When I have time and am not in a rush…I always do this before any leg work…

You’ll like, works great.

I personally like warrior lunges a lot also…Here we have world renown Dr. Berardi demonstrating some finely executed warrior lunges.

Do this kind of stuff coupled with some good ol’ foam rolling and you’re good to go. :slight_smile:

dynamic warm-ups are preferred over static warm-ups for many reasons:

  1. a dynamic warm-up increases heart rate which will help prime your body for more intense lifting
  2. a dynamic warm-up increases body temp which allows blood to flow through your body quicker
  3. a dynamic warm-up often warms-up the joints better then static stretching

cool, thanks guys ill watch the vids and just copy.

one more Q, do i form roll before or after the dynamic warmup?

I usually run/do the elliptical for 5-10 minutes to get the blood flowing, then foam roll, then do my dynamic warm up stuff. Then foam roll again post workout.

When I’m doing squats I like to do a side lunge and hold for 5 seconds. Then turn to the side/drop down to a knee and stretch that for 5 seconds (like the warrior lunge but with my knee on the ground) and then fold my front leg in front of my body and lean on it to stretch the IT band. Then repeat for the other side. I do 5 or 6 of those per side and my legs/hips are really loose and ready to go. (sorry if thats hard to follow? I tried to find a video i saw somewhere but couldnt find it)

.greg.

cant believe no-ones mentioned the girl in the background in mr popular’s video. sweet sweet ass.

[quote]bowl wrote:
cant believe no-ones mentioned the girl in the background in mr popular’s video. sweet sweet ass.[/quote]

Oh, I assumed the guy dancing in the center of the video was the background.

[quote]gregron wrote:
I usually run/do the elliptical for 5-10 minutes to get the blood flowing, then foam roll, then do my dynamic warm up stuff. Then foam roll again post workout.

When I’m doing squats I like to do a side lunge and hold for 5 seconds. Then turn to the side/drop down to a knee and stretch that for 5 seconds (like the warrior lunge but with my knee on the ground) and then fold my front leg in front of my body and lean on it to stretch the IT band. Then repeat for the other side. I do 5 or 6 of those per side and my legs/hips are really loose and ready to go. (sorry if thats hard to follow? I tried to find a video i saw somewhere but couldnt find it)

.greg.[/quote]

thanks.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:

[quote]bowl wrote:
cant believe no-ones mentioned the girl in the background in mr popular’s video. sweet sweet ass.[/quote]

Oh, I assumed the guy dancing in the center of the video was the background.[/quote]

What? I’m sorry… I couldn’t hear you over the sound of that guy’s… swaying… hips…

But good info, I was always wondering about this stuff, but never gave it the time of day. (I always wondered what all those other guys in the gym were doing, swinging their legs around like some epileptic)

Nice squats.

I wouldn’t rule out static stretching just do it post workout or at least post dynamic. Gotta loosen those muscles up before doing any static holds otherwise you will do more injury than good.

In my ideal gym where I was training before my current gym I did:
bike to gym (about 3 minutes), jump rope for 3 minutes, dynamic warmup, pull-ups, jump rope for 3 more minutes, do my weights, heavy bag work, 2 min situps (military style), static stretches, bike home

I’ve cut down because my current gym doesn’t have a heavy bag and I cut down on some of the other stuff because my goals have changed.