Dynamic Side Plank

A quick question:
Can/Should side planks be done both static (hold for 60+sec) and dynamic ( 10-15 up/down reps)?

Planks are part of my back rehab and I was just trying to figure some variations on my routine:

basic crunches
leg lifts
side planks
supermans
glute bridges

any suggestions would rule.
Thanks.

to clarify, I’m asking if there’s anythign wrong with doing dynamic side planks (up and down…)

[quote]keyrat22 wrote:
to clarify, I’m asking if there’s anythign wrong with doing dynamic side planks (up and down…) [/quote]

Nothing wrong with it, but as your training stabilizers you should do longer holds.

If you can do overhead squats get onto those. Great for the core.

To make side planks holds more interesting, I like to hold a dumbbell in the hand of whichever arm I’m not leaning on. You can point it at the ceiling, do lateral raises, or even move it in random directions to give your stabilizers more of a workout.

Is it your hamstrings that you’re rehabbing?

…not rehabbing my hams. It’s just basic core strengthening exercises for lumbago. It works like a miracle.

So dynamic side planks are cool. No injury potential if done with proper form.
Thanks a lot.
SHoni.

If you want some incredible core training, check out these 3 exercises:

Barbell corner press
Barbell corner row
Barbell corner twist

Do those 3 nonstop as 1 set, and do that set a few times. It really doesn’t require much weight (for me at least, but that’s not saying much), but it works the shit out of your core.

The hardest thing might be finding a corner in your gym with enough room around it to stick a barbell right next to it. The powerlifting room in my college gym just happens to have a groove in the corner for my barbell to go in. I’m guessing others have done the same (or similar) exercise in the past.

But like someone else has mentioned, overhead squats or anything requiring an overhead hold (overhead lunges) are great for your core.

To add some variation (and difficulty) to the side plank, hold the plank on one side for time and then rotate to a front plank, then rotate to the other side. Or. side planks with the top foot raised (supporting on bottom leg) or with the bottom leg raised (bring the knee to the chest) and support on the top leg. Hold a dumbbell in each hand. Hex DB’s are easy, round ones are more difficult.

Good luck.

TNT

Thanks again guys.

[quote]Hook 'em wrote:
If you want some incredible core training, check out these 3 exercises:

Barbell corner press
Barbell corner row
Barbell corner twist

Do those 3 nonstop as 1 set, and do that set a few times. It really doesn’t require much weight (for me at least, but that’s not saying much), but it works the shit out of your core.

The hardest thing might be finding a corner in your gym with enough room around it to stick a barbell right next to it. The powerlifting room in my college gym just happens to have a groove in the corner for my barbell to go in. I’m guessing others have done the same (or similar) exercise in the past.

But like someone else has mentioned, overhead squats or anything requiring an overhead hold (overhead lunges) are great for your core.[/quote]

Or you could buy the land mine acessory.