T Nation

Dynamic Effort Training

i’m assuming novices in strength training most likely will not benefit at all. when can you do it for it to be effective?

well , I aint there yet , but my guess would be when somebody looks at you and says…

“you’re a powerlifter , are’nt ya!”

You probably won’t get a whole lot out of it unless you compete with gear, even if you’re strong already.

crap i was only planning going raw .o.o
what does gear do with it?

For novice/intermediate level I’ve seen better reults with repetition days vs. dynamic effort days.

But thats just me.

But I’m a high school quarterback at 185 pounds. I’m only a junior, so I don’t need to add size. Why would the repetition day benefit me when speed and explosiveness is the most important aspect?

There are other ways to improve your explosiveness besides DE powerlifting. Alot of DeFranco’s athletes do plyometrics on their DE days. Sprinting will also improve your explosiveness. Trust me if your a junior in high school you still need to get stronger and bigger.

[quote]heardy10 wrote:
But I’m a high school quarterback at 185 pounds. I’m only a junior, so I don’t need to add size. Why would the repetition day benefit me when speed and explosiveness is the most important aspect?[/quote]

Your tendons and ligaments.

Read this. Follow it and learn!

http://www.defrancostraining.com/articles/articles.htm

In my experience, most people that say speed work did nothing for them do it wrong.

Common Mistake 1: Use weight that is too heavy. I know what the percentages say. They don’t matter. Speed is the only thing that matters outside of form.

Common Mistake 2: Not trying hard enough. Speed work should be hard. If it wasn’t then you probably weren’t trying. Look at this way. If you squat say 400lbs then when you do speed work you should be applying 400lbs of force to the bar regardless of the actual bar weight. Most people just can’t get this right.

Both of those mistake tend make it look like speed work is not effective. I am not saying that there isn’t an obvious benefit to rep work, but speed work is effective too if it is done right.

[quote]Pemdas wrote:
In my experience, most people that say speed work did nothing for them do it wrong.

Common Mistake 1: Use weight that is too heavy. I know what the percentages say. They don’t matter. Speed is the only thing that matters outside of form.

Common Mistake 2: Not trying hard enough. Speed work should be hard. If it wasn’t then you probably weren’t trying. Look at this way. If you squat say 400lbs then when you do speed work you should be applying 400lbs of force to the bar regardless of the actual bar weight. Most people just can’t get this right.

Both of those mistake tend make it look like speed work is not effective. I am not saying that there isn’t an obvious benefit to rep work, but speed work is effective too if it is done right. [/quote]

This is absolutely right on. Repetition is good for a beginner, but you do reach a point where speed work is crucial, especially for deads.

But most likely, the OP is nowhere near the level where he needs speed work!

personally speaking i made much better gains in the RE days…i just wasent getting anything out of the DE for upper body.

i just dont think you can go wrong with the RE days especially if your not seeing results

[quote]FFBMikey wrote:
There are other ways to improve your explosiveness besides DE powerlifting. Alot of DeFranco’s athletes do plyometrics on their DE days. Sprinting will also improve your explosiveness. Trust me if your a junior in high school you still need to get stronger and bigger.[/quote]

I’m not saying I don’t need to be any stronger, of course no one would argue with that! But I’m just saying a repetition day wouldn’t help my speed any. On my DE leg day I don’t box squat, I do box jumps.

For upper body only one lift is DE, the rest is repetition anyway, wouldn’t this be beneficial?

great response pemdas!

question for speed bench-over time would it fuck over joints/ligaments because of massive deceleration at the top?

For me the Dynamic squatting / deadlifting has done alot for my squat/ dl. Speed out of the hole/off the floor will help you sail into lock out. It has done some good for the bench but I’ve had the best success using the metal Militia bench style with the west-side split for everything else.

I think the DE training is especially good for geared lifters because the gear give the most support on the bottom portions of the exercises and lessens towards lock out. One must outrun this or you’ll probably bomb out.

Another thing is I think the DE method teaches your musclesto fire all at once to train for maximum efforts. I think the benefits are more appearant with seasoned lifters but beginning pl’s would get some benefit as well. I can’t say tho about a guy completely new to lifting itself…

[quote]kickureface wrote:
great response pemdas!

question for speed bench-over time would it fuck over joints/ligaments because of massive deceleration at the top?[/quote]

I’m not sure it would. Here my thoughts. Say you bench 335-1rm. Speed bench is about 40% bar weight 40% band tension. That’s 135# each. That’s 270# total tension. But one should push on it as if it were the 335 right. I don’t remember the force Louis says one can generate using this weight but I believe it was more than your max.

I can’t say tht speed benching would screw your joints any worse than say doing a 4 board press for reps with 405.

[quote]kickureface wrote:
great response pemdas!

question for speed bench-over time would it fuck over joints/ligaments because of massive deceleration at the top?[/quote]

It does take a toll on my elbows a bit, but it has nothing to do with deceleration. Its mainly the tension from bands or the accommodating resistance of the chains.

I have tendinitis in both elbows so that doesn’t help. Be wary of snapping the weight at the top. Basically just don’t do it. Also just rotate in strait weight and rep work ever couple of cycles and you should be fine.

Any of you guys bench with straight weight after doing dynamic benches? say a triple with 65-70% or so? I’ve noticed that if I’ve DE benched correctly the weight feels like it’s “floating”