Dynamic Effort Pull Ups?

I’m a huge fan of the Westside System as well as Coach DeFranco’s work. On his site, Joe has written about doing Dynamic Effort Pull Ups. Does anyone know how these are performed? Is it with the bands or chains?

Rob

Man,
If you really wannna get a good understanding of the exercise, then I would purchase the Parisi School’s Deceleration method video from Dave.
Anyways the dynamic pull up is pretty much a pull up clap. Start from the full stretch position and pull yourself up as fast as possible. At the top, release your hands from the bar and clap them, and catch yourself and control the eccentric. Unless you can already do about 10 or more pullups, I wouldnt try these. They are something that you have to be build up to.

Sounds intense… But a good exercise for sure!

The “clap” chin-up wasn’t what I was talking about when I wrote about dynamic chins. Here’s a description:

“Choke” a mini band around a heavy dumbell that is placed directly underneath the chin-up bar. Then, hook the end of the mini band around your weight belt (you need to wear a weight belt for these). The band accomadates resistance on the way up and accelerates the eccentric on the way down. Perform multiple sets of low reps and work on your speed. Don’t lock your elbows at the bottom.
Hopefully this description helps.
Joe D.

The “clap” chin-up wasn’t what I was talking about when I wrote about dynamic chins. Here’s a description:

“Choke” a mini band around a heavy dumbell that is placed directly underneath the chin-up bar. Then, hook the end of the mini band around your weight belt (you need to wear a weight belt for these). The band accomadates resistance on the way up and accelerates the eccentric on the way down. Perform multiple sets of low reps and work on your speed. Don’t lock your elbows at the bottom.
Hopefully this description helps.
Joe D.