Dynamic Day Confusion

Whats up guys,

I have been doing Joe Defranco’s program, its going well, using it as part of my baseball training. I started reading Louie’s Westside method book. One thing I am totally lost with is the difference between Defranco’s and Simmons dynamic day. Joe said they do jumps instead of speed squats, but jumps build reactive strength, while speed squats develop speed-strength. It seems if all Joe does for dynamic effort is jumps, isn’t it missing the speed-strength quality?

I know one trains athletes while the other trains powerlifters, but both require speed-strength right?

Thanks in advance guys,

Jay

[quote]jaypatel33 wrote:
Whats up guys,

I have been doing Joe Defranco’s program, its going well, using it as part of my baseball training. I started reading Louie’s Westside method book. One thing I am totally lost with is the difference between Defranco’s and Simmons dynamic day. Joe said they do jumps instead of speed squats, but jumps build reactive strength, while speed squats develop speed-strength. It seems if all Joe does for dynamic effort is jumps, isn’t it missing the speed-strength quality?

I know one trains athletes while the other trains powerlifters, but both require speed-strength right?

Thanks in advance guys,

Jay[/quote]

Athletes aren’t concerned with how fast they can move the bar squatting because squatting isn’t part of their sport. They do have to be able to move their own bodies reactively, which I’m guessing is part of the reason. And Joe probably found that this works himself over time, so I wouldn’t second guess it.

[quote]jaypatel33 wrote:
Whats up guys,

Thanks in advance guys,

Jay[/quote]

You are overthinking the hell out of this. Yes, some jumps build reactive strength and all jumps build explosive strength. Using a box to squat also builds reactive strength, reversal strength, and speed strength. Are jumps better or worse than than box squats? There is no way on earth to tell because the difference in weaknesses will be very specific to the needs of the athlete and what the goal of training is. Obviously for powerlifting, the athlete competes in the squat bench and deadlift. So dynamic squatting is a must. But, MANY very strong powerlifters use jumps and sprints as well to build their squats and deadlifts. Just like how many good athletes use dynamic squats to get ready for their sport. To say one or the other is better or should be the only modality used to prepare for team sports or powerlifting would not be smart programming.

Plus, most of westsides guys do some kind of jump training:

Dave Hoff (2905 total at 275) and Brandon Lilly start box jumping at 4:05:

-STB, looks like you do need to start that WS Q&A afterall to save yourself some time posting. It would still be awesome, btw.

EDIT: PLEASE!

x4

It started. Go look and ask questions. I made it open ended on purpose… ha… open ended…