T Nation

DVD Player

I have used my laptop as a dvd player pretty much ever since I got it. The last few weeks it has not been playing my dvds? I’m not quite sure what the heck is happening it worked perfectly up until a few days ago.

I put in the dvd (duh) and then wait for it to pop up in windows media player like it usually would only to have nothing happen. When I physically go to windows media player and try to play the dvd from there nothing happens.

What gives?

It may be a corrupted or out of date driver.

how old is the laptop? do you hear the disc clicking/spinning? have you tried more than 1 disk?

have you tried loading a regular CD to see if that works?

I could be that Windows Media player is not reading the DVD, the operating system is not recognizing the DVD player or the DVD payer died.

Is the DVD spinning?

Put in a DVD that you know works. Click on the “my computer” icon on desk. You should see your “c:” and the DVD drive. Click on the DVD drive and see if you can see the files or folders in it. This will tell you if the operating system can see your DVD drive.

If you click on my computer and DON’T see the DVD drive icon, your kinda fucked.

I bought the laptop right around a year ago from the Dell website. I got the inspiron 1525 and it has turned out to be a pretty reliable computer other than this.

It reads CD’s and when I put the dvd I was trying to watch in another computer it worked perfectly fine. What does the DVD drive icon look like?

whens the last time you restarted your computer? i leave mine on all the time and sometimes after a few weeks things just dont work properly.

dell sux…I have 2 and hate them both. One was sent to dell 6 times for 90 of the 120 days I owned it. When I tried to return it, they said it was past the 90 day return policy. They were working on it for an entire 3 months, then gave me a refurbished model. bullshit

[quote]clockworkchad wrote:
whens the last time you restarted your computer? i leave mine on all the time and sometimes after a few weeks things just dont work properly. [/quote]

But, yea this usually works

my dell was problem free for my first year or so of ownership, i dont know if procedures changed but when my USB drive physically broke it was almost impossible for them to take it back to fix it for me. long, long calls to the customer service line from people reluctant to help me out…

I just tried restarting the computer for the umpteenth time, all to no avail. Any other ideas floating around?

[quote]tommytoughnuts wrote:
I bought the laptop right around a year ago from the Dell website. I got the inspiron 1525 and it has turned out to be a pretty reliable computer other than this.

It reads CD’s and when I put the dvd I was trying to watch in another computer it worked perfectly fine. What does the DVD drive icon look like?[/quote]

The DVD drive icon is the same as the CD icon. So if it play’s CDs, the hardware is fine. Mostly like a software issue.

My computer has 2 DVD drives as shown on the attached picture. When you put a movie in , the DVD drive icon is replace by the title of the movie. So in this pic you’ll see an empty DVD drive (hilighted) and “State of Grace” in the other DVD drive.

1. Does this show up when you click on My Computer for you?

2. If the title of the movie does show up on My Computer then right click on it and choose explore. You should see at least 2 folders on there. One name Video_TS and one named Audio_TS. If you can see these 2 your computer can read DVDs.

3. If step 3 works, download a new free player.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

I recommend doing step 3 either way just to see if it fixes it.

Edit: Here is a direct link to their windows software:

http://www.videolan.org/mirror.php?mirror=http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/software/videolan/&file=vlc/1.0.3/win32/vlc-1.0.3-win32.exe