T Nation

Dutasteride

This post falls under the “Other Drugs” part of this forum.

I’m looking at preventing further hair loss by using either finasteride or dutasteride. My question is what type of effects might these have on my testosterone levels?

Dutasteride is “newer” and inhibits DHT via Type I and II 5 alpha reductase (note to all, I do not know the science behind all of this), whereas finasteride only affects Type II. So Dutasteride is allegedly much more effective.

However would dutasteride have any “estrogenic” effects or inhibit my muscle-building capability?

Pudge.

[quote]pudge wrote:
This post falls under the “Other Drugs” part of this forum.

I’m looking at preventing further hair loss by using either finasteride or dutasteride. My question is what type of effects might these have on my testosterone levels?

Dutasteride is “newer” and inhibits DHT via Type I and II 5 alpha reductase (note to all, I do not know the science behind all of this), whereas finasteride only affects Type II. So Dutasteride is allegedly much more effective.

However would dutasteride have any “estrogenic” effects or inhibit my muscle-building capability?

Pudge.[/quote]
Its funny you bring this up. I got some dutastaride (avodart .5mg) recently. Because it is new it seems hard to get good feedback as of yet. I recall searching these forums and there was one member who seemed to reduce his DHT levels greatly while on this stuff, however did not notice much hair growth and was unsure if it had stopped or not.

I recall reading about possible estrogen elevations, although reading the information sheet it claims that testosterone is increased by about 18% or so, on average , although still staying in the physiological range.

Continue reading the information sheet and it includes the percentages of test subjects who experience loss of libido, ejaculate disorders, and even gynocomastia. Some of these are small percentages and dwindle even further as time goes by, it seems.

I also recall searching for finasteride in these forums and seemed to remember reading Bill Roberts’ take on the estrogenic activity and possible gyno issues, however I can’t be sure of the details, and I’m about to go to bed.

Anyhow, if anyone else is on this or debating taking it, or if Bill Roberts or Cy Willson would be kind enough to grace us with their presence, it would be much obliged. =)

I can try to answer the question to some degree. I used to sell Avodart. I can tell you the major side effect for Avodart: Impotence 4.7%, Decreased libido 3.7%, Ejaculation disorders 1.4%, and gynecomastia .5%. All of theses side effects attenuate within six months. THe drug is designed to stop the conversion of testosterone to DHT. The net effect is lower DHT levels and slightly elevated testosterone levels, so it probably will not afffect muscle building potential. It ma even help a bit. But most men with hair loss have naturally high testosterone levels which is why the dht conversion rate is higher.

holden,

Appreciate it!