T Nation

During, After, or Both-Workout Shake?

Is the after-workout shake called the after-workout shake because you drink it after-workout? …or is there more to it. I just have the natural feeling that I should drink one workout shake while I workout and then pile on another workout shake afterwards. I take a giant swig after each set. That’s not wrong is it?

I mean, what I’m doing, it’s definitely working but I’d like to know.

Do different timed shakes play for different result factors?

Maybe I’m not too coherant today, but I’m not really understanding what you’re saying, but I have the gist of it. Here’s what I do

Before a workout I take in 30 grams of whey protein accompanied with 10 grams BCAA.

After a workout I take in 52 grams whey protein 5 grams creatine monohydrate and 15 grams BCAA.

You want to take whey before and after a workout as well as BCAA because it is fast absorbing and begins to repair the muscle you just brokedown in order for it to grow and strengthen. I take creatine after workouts for it’s benefits in strength.

I guess I completely zoned out reading your post because I reread it and missed the whole shake during workoing out thing. DO whatever man. I know people sometimes take BCAA throughout a workout.

Not really an expert on nutrition but generally people take a pre and post workout drink, possibly BCAA throughout a workout.

apparently there’s no point having a whey protein shake during your workout(correct me if I’m wrong) but it does nothing to help start repairing the muscle fibers your body just uses it for fuel

I mix up about 15g of BCAAs and some crystal light in a shaker which I sip during my workout. Afterwards, once I get back to my apt, I throw down about 30-40g of Whey.

S

I take whey and bcaa before bcaa and Surge during and Surge creatine and Power Drive after.

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
Maybe I’m not too coherant today, but I’m not really understanding what you’re saying, but I have the gist of it. Here’s what I do

Before a workout I take in 30 grams of whey protein accompanied with 10 grams BCAA.

After a workout I take in 52 grams whey protein 5 grams creatine monohydrate and 15 grams BCAA.

You want to take whey before and after a workout as well as BCAA because it is fast absorbing and begins to repair the muscle you just brokedown in order for it to grow and strengthen. I take creatine after workouts for it’s benefits in strength. [/quote]

hey austin your ever think of trying Surge?

[quote]crod266 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

You want to take whey before and after a workout as well as BCAA because it is fast absorbing and begins to repair the muscle you just brokedown in order for it to grow and strengthen. I take creatine after workouts for it’s benefits in strength.

[/quote]

I never tried it, wht do you think of it?

crod266 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

I never tried it, wht do you think of it?

[/quote]

I think its good, I mean right now I dont take it because I ran out of cash so I just take gatorade during and whey after but I mean since I switched off I havent seen much of a diffrence. It is a little more convientant though, I mean it has everything from sugar to protien to bcaa but its a lil more expensive.

I guess I completely zoned out reading your post because I reread it and missed the whole shake during workoing out thing. DO whatever man. I know people sometimes take BCAA throughout a workout.

Not really an expert on nutrition but generally people take a pre and post workout drink, possibly BCAA throughout a workout.[/quote]

Ok. Well, maybe I will burn calories that I already have (bulking fat) if I skip the during-workout shake. I’ll stick with the before and after and see what happens. Thanks.

Thanks all of you, I haven’t been using a pre-workout shake. Just a durning and an after. So I see, some of you use a during workout shake and some don’t. I’m going to try just Pre and after for a while and check my logs for any difference.