DUP Program Used in Research Study

I ran 5/3/1 with great success from Sept to June, then tweaked my shoulder climbing, and am finally back to lifting heavy weights. I thought I would mix up my training a bit since my progress with 5/3/1 had slowed a fair amount. In researching westside, and non-linear periodization, I came across this research study program by Dr. Mike Zourdos. http://diginole.lib.fsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=6817&context=etd

What I liked about the study, and subsequent program was that it used powerlifters as the participants, off of FSU’s powerlifting team, and before and after maxes were to USAPL standards. There were two groups, One was Hypertrophy-Strength-Power, and the other Hypertrophy-Power-Strength. The 18 participants had an average of 6 years experience lifting, and yet the HPS group had their powerlifting total increase by 8.65% after the six week program.

I know most experienced lifters would love to have their total increase that much in 6 weeks. The program is listed in detail starting at about page 50 on the dissertation.

Has anyone tried this type of program?

I started yesterday, and will see how it goes over the next 6 weeks.

Looks interesting? please keep us posted. Are you adding any accessory work or just doing the squat/bench/dead as outlined?

I don’t see how something that simple would be so effective lol. Obviously according to this ot was but 7% to my best total would be 105 pounds and would have me hit 1605 on the platform. That’s a massive increase in 6 weeks time and even on gear I just couldn’t see that .

In my experience DUP-style stuff works awesome. Upping frequency on a movement is probably the single most important thing IMO. It helps coordination, and makes the movement as natural as walking down the sidewalk. Becomes second nature. I’ve heard of ALOT of people absolutely exploding using Dr. Zourdos’ programming. Layne Norton just won a national championship I beleive using this system.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I don’t see how something that simple would be so effective lol. Obviously according to this ot was but 7% to my best total would be 105 pounds and would have me hit 1605 on the platform. That’s a massive increase in 6 weeks time and even on gear I just couldn’t see that .[/quote]

Right! I would normally be excited if I added 20-25 lbs in six weeks to my total. What is more exciting about the study is they used people with experience in powerlifting, so no newbie gains, or things like that. Average body size of about 83kg with 9% bodyfat, and around a 500kg total, so not elite, but not chump change either.

[quote]TrevorLPT wrote:
Looks interesting? please keep us posted. Are you adding any accessory work or just doing the squat/bench/dead as outlined?
[/quote]
Will do light accessory, with a fair amount of antagonist training.

Man me and you are going to give this a shot. I wont log it if you don’t want since you def started this so don’t wanna steal your thunder but honestly I just have to call BS and with 6 weeks it is short enough to give it s try. If nothing else it is a huge change and I’ll give you a kiss for bringing this up if I even get 5% extra.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Man me and you are going to give this a shot. I wont log it if you don’t want since you def started this so don’t wanna steal your thunder but honestly I just have to call BS and with 6 weeks it is short enough to give it s try. If nothing else it is a huge change and I’ll give you a kiss for bringing this up if I even get 5% extra.[/quote]
You should log it, cause you have more upside potential. With my hip issue, not sure it can handle the full volume. Most might not seem like its a lot, but for me it is. Hell, I have never even benched more than twice per week. and only a few times twice per week.

No that’s alot of volume for me. Even squatting I don’t usually do but 1-2 sessions a week and bench only once. So if my shoulders can take it I honestly think my bench will see the best benefit.

Question for anyone. Considering I compete in wraps how should I do my wraps? I’m thinking only on strength days. Like first 2 sets of AMRAP wrapless and then add them for the last set.

Makes Sheiko workouts look like novice training. That is some serious training over the course of 6 weeks.

[quote]Reed wrote:
Question for anyone. Considering I compete in wraps how should I do my wraps? I’m thinking only on strength days. Like first 2 sets of AMRAP wrapless and then add them for the last set.[/quote]
When do you normally use wraps in training? Over a certain percentage of 1RM? last set?

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
Question for anyone. Considering I compete in wraps how should I do my wraps? I’m thinking only on strength days. Like first 2 sets of AMRAP wrapless and then add them for the last set.[/quote]
When do you normally use wraps in training? Over a certain percentage of 1RM? last set? [/quote]

I use them as overloads essentially. I use them about once a session no matter what but no said %.

I’ve started the exact same program. I was very impressed with the study results.
I’ve written an excel spreadsheet based on it, although it is slightly different.

I’ll stick it up on my blog for free soon if you want a copy of it.

I’ve basically change the routine like this.

Mon- hyp- squats and stiff leg deadlifts, curls, abs
Tues-hyp- bench and press variation, dips, abs
Wed- power squat, bench dead
Thurs- rest
Fri- squats and dead strength
Sat- bench and press strength

Did anyone else notice that this seemed pretty similar to condensing 5/3/1 (or 5/1/3) down into a single week? That’s interesting. I like the template, although I would want to train more than 3 days a week. I wonder if I could double it haha

[quote]Jimmythechin wrote:
I’ve started the exact same program. I was very impressed with the study results.
I’ve written an excel spreadsheet based on it, although it is slightly different.

Thurs- rest
[/quote]

Please do, I don’t have the time right now to read 130+ pages, but this spiked my interest.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Thurs- rest
[/quote]

Please do, I don’t have the time right now to read 130+ pages, but this spiked my interest. [/quote]
I believe the charts showing the program start on about page 50.

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

Thurs- rest
[/quote]

Please do, I don’t have the time right now to read 130+ pages, but this spiked my interest. [/quote]
I believe the charts showing the program start on about page 50. [/quote]

Cool, thanks.

Ecchastang, I know its still early on but any updates so far? How did you set up your assistance these last two weeks?

[quote]Reed wrote:
I don’t see how something that simple would be so effective lol. Obviously according to this ot was but 7% to my best total would be 105 pounds and would have me hit 1605 on the platform. That’s a massive increase in 6 weeks time and even on gear I just couldn’t see that .[/quote]

I can see big gains over short periods. One question is sustainability of gains over time. Anyone who has run Smolov learns: (1) you can blow your squat up in three (base phase) to eight (intense phase) weeks; and (2) sustaining those types of gains over longer periods is a different thing altogether. Is this program designed for peaking or to run for longer periods?