T Nation

Dunking From 1 Leg or 2?

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
dude that is awesome! What was your program (roughly) that got you there??
[/quote]

Well… I’ve gone through a lot of different crap, but this post from Kelly Baggett basically sums it up:

I’ve tried a lot of the complicated shit but what has worked well basically comes down to the advice given by Kelly. I had pretty good but not great natural hops, I touched 10’10" from an approach and 10’5.5" from a standing jump my senior year of high school when I really started training. I also couldn’t even squat 135 to parallel. By senior year I was squatting 425 and deadlifted 515 and I was going 11’7" from approach and 11’3" from the stand.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
11 feet is top of the square. You telling me you can go 7 inches above top of the square off 2 feet? I want to see.

[/quote]

Also, I thought this sounded off but wasn’t sure. According to this:

http://www.basketball.com/nba/rules/rule1.shtml

The top of the square is 11’6". I was thinking, “man, I’m pretty sure I can’t get 7” above the top of the square" but I know that I have had my spike touch accurately tested several times at college and also during a workout with a professional team in Europe. That makes more sense to have the top of the square be 11’6" although I guess that’s an official NBA backboard. I know I’ve seen some crappy playground backboards that I could slap my whole hand over the square, which probably was just 12".

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
And here is a 64" hurdle off a two step. Was scared to try to box jump this and wipeout so I just did a hurdle. Did it on a challenge (and because the girl’s soccer team was also in the weightroom and I was trying to be cool) after squatting. Note the high-top Chucks for extra style points.[/quote]

thats very impressive man… did I mention i’m on the soccer team.

Thanks Jtrin. I am currently doing 531 and before was following Waterbury stuff which was great. I have yet to see how 531 works out but i am doing it to get stronger. I am 6’2" @ 200 w/ ~9 % body fat. (abs are still visible, 33 1/2 waist in morning) I put on weight faster than strength so i hope this balances things out a little. I would kill to have those jumps! I am going to put a little plyo like you mentioned; some depth jumps and such after my workout days and see if that can help.

Kelly had a quote that is something like:

You will be happy with your vert when you:

1.) Squat 2x bodyweight
2.) Are sub-10% bodyfat
3.) Can do 20 hurdles over a knee-high string in 10 seconds

I was a little bit below all three of those; 425 squat but was 215-220 at the time, about 12% bodyfat and could do 17-18 of the hurdles in 10 seconds. I was at about 36" from the stand and 40-41" from the run, so I’d imagine anybody who could hit all three of those goals would be at comparable numbers.

What’s your squat at right now?

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

I’ll try to get some video now, even though my vert is down just a tad since my college volleyball career is over and I’ve been training MMA now. The other day I got an 11’4" touch off an approach so I am down a little but still fairly close to my peak jump. Here’s the best pictures I had up on my Facebook that show it.

The pic I attached in in my garage gym last summer. The beam is at 9’6" and I have to duck to avoid hitting it.[/quote]

It looks like there is someone hanged in your pic

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Kelly had a quote that is something like:

You will be happy with your vert when you:

1.) Squat 2x bodyweight
2.) Are sub-10% bodyfat
3.) Can do 20 hurdles over a knee-high string in 10 seconds

I was a little bit below all three of those; 425 squat but was 215-220 at the time, about 12% bodyfat and could do 17-18 of the hurdles in 10 seconds. I was at about 36" from the stand and 40-41" from the run, so I’d imagine anybody who could hit all three of those goals would be at comparable numbers.

What’s your squat at right now?[/quote]

My squat is only at ~200 lbs estimated 1RM. My Deadlift is ~350 lbs estimated 1RM. For a long time, I was only doing a power lifter type squat which, for all intensive purposes like doing a sumo dead lift, so my quads never really got strong.

Now i have olympic lifting shoes and am doing narrow stance, thus the low numbers. I am hoping to get my deadlift to 500 and my squat to ~300 in about 8 months.

[quote]jasmincar wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

I’ll try to get some video now, even though my vert is down just a tad since my college volleyball career is over and I’ve been training MMA now. The other day I got an 11’4" touch off an approach so I am down a little but still fairly close to my peak jump. Here’s the best pictures I had up on my Facebook that show it.

The pic I attached in in my garage gym last summer. The beam is at 9’6" and I have to duck to avoid hitting it.

[/quote]

haha yah that pic is kind of creepy.

I use my 3rd leg.
I’m THAT good.

[quote]waylanderxx wrote:
jasmincar wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

The pic I attached in in my garage gym last summer. The beam is at 9’6" and I have to duck to avoid hitting it.

haha yah that pic is kind of creepy.[/quote]

Hah that’s kinda why I like it.