Dunking From 1 Leg or 2?

Ok, I wanted to get an idea about how many people that dunk, do it while jumping off of one foot or two. Also, how your squat numbers relate to this. I am a 1 leg jumper and i read that that meant that i was more reactive than strong.

I can not dunk yet (despite being 6’2") and i wanted to see what the people’s thoughts are here so that i can maybe improve the fastest way.

In high school I could dunk 1 handed and 2 handed jumping off of 2 feet, but could not dunk off of 1 foot. I’m 6’1 and did not squat back then, I barely even worked out anything but my upper body. I remember leg pressing maybe a handful of times and do not remember the exact weight but know it was over 600lbs. I used to do a lot of plyometrics back then that gave me good results.

it’s a reactive v. strength thing. I could do both but as I got stronger, I lost my reactive strength and could jump higher off two feet whereas at one point I could go higher off one foot. looking back, I failed to keep the balance.

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
it’s a reactive v. strength thing. I could do both but as I got stronger, I lost my reactive strength and could jump higher off two feet whereas at one point I could go higher off one foot. looking back, I failed to keep the balance.[/quote]

So do you mean you naturally gravitated toward the 2 feet or did you have to train for it more? Any particular reactive drills to train?

I dunk off two much better than off one. I haven’t tried dunking since I have been squatting though.

I found off one leg, sometimes I would fly, but most of the time my knee would buckle forward a little bit.

6’1, one leg jumper. In college I was just shy of dunking. I could dunk a rubber BB but not a leather or synthetic. A few years later when I was lifting hard core and got up to a double body weight squat I could dunk. It was still off one foot, but a much deeper dip. I consider the depth of the dip the measure of weather it’s reactive or strength. One leg or two sounds like bullshit to me.

5’11", one leg jumper.
I can dunk off one leg or two legs, but I feel more comfortable off of one.
My two legged jump has increase since I started lifting weights, but my one foot jump is about the same. I don’t give a shit about dunking anymore though.

I can’t dunk YET, but my lift off is two legged, I can reach more if I jump from both my legs (a volleyball spike) than if I do more of a basketballesque one legged jump.

Different for everyone Dominique Wilkins Powerful two leg jumper, MJ one footer. Nique was powerful and strong, MJ more reactive and finesseful.

In high school I could dunk off 1 foot or both but I could definitely get higher of both feet. But like one said above, I barely lifted back then. I did however, always work on my hops…which back then, I thought calves were the most important thing so I did all kinds of calf raises, strength shoes, ect…

I wish I would have squatted more…

I can dunk off 1-foot but nothing impressive. Off 2-feet I can do pretty well in dunk contests. My 1-foot touch is about 10’8" and my 2-foot touch is about 11’7" at 6’3".

Fastest way to improve is probably going to be off 2-feet, as it is a more strength-dominant move and strength is an easier quality to improve than reactivity. If you hit the gym hard getting your squat strength up while doing some 2-foot jumping exercises, you should be able to improve 3-4" in your first year or so of hard training for vertical leap. That might push you over the edge to be able to get your dunk.

I dunk off my left foot, which is weird, because my right leg is stronger.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
I can dunk off 1-foot but nothing impressive. Off 2-feet I can do pretty well in dunk contests. My 1-foot touch is about 10’8" and my 2-foot touch is about 11’7" at 6’3".

Fastest way to improve is probably going to be off 2-feet, as it is a more strength-dominant move and strength is an easier quality to improve than reactivity. If you hit the gym hard getting your squat strength up while doing some 2-foot jumping exercises, you should be able to improve 3-4" in your first year or so of hard training for vertical leap. That might push you over the edge to be able to get your dunk.[/quote]

Sweet. that is what i am going to try. i have a decent deadlift (~330) but my squat is still only 200 (close stance). i bought some books on jumping and running. my running speed is fine, but jumping SUCKS! Like only 17-19 inches.

[quote]honest_lifter wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
it’s a reactive v. strength thing. I could do both but as I got stronger, I lost my reactive strength and could jump higher off two feet whereas at one point I could go higher off one foot. looking back, I failed to keep the balance.

So do you mean you naturally gravitated toward the 2 feet or did you have to train for it more? Any particular reactive drills to train?[/quote]

No, I just think as I got stronger, I lost reactive ability some…at least off one leg. When I was younger and less developed, I was tremendous off one leg. Later, as I aged and got stronger, I was tremendous off 2 and less explosive off 1. I did tons of plyos but probaby not enough single leg work…I’m really not sure to this day why such a change…just kind of happened.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:

Fastest way to improve is probably going to be off 2-feet, as it is a more strength-dominant move and strength is an easier quality to improve than reactivity. If you hit the gym hard getting your squat strength up while doing some 2-foot jumping exercises, you should be able to improve 3-4" in your first year or so of hard training for vertical leap. That might push you over the edge to be able to get your dunk.[/quote]

11 feet is top of the square. You telling me you can go 7 inches above top of the square off 2 feet? I want to see.

I can’t dunk YET. My balls are way too heavy for that shit for now. Wait till I spread my little minions and populate, THEN we can talk dunking.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:
I dunk off my left foot, which is weird, because my right leg is stronger.[/quote]

what is your front leg if you were to do sprints?

[quote]TheBodyGuard wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

Fastest way to improve is probably going to be off 2-feet, as it is a more strength-dominant move and strength is an easier quality to improve than reactivity. If you hit the gym hard getting your squat strength up while doing some 2-foot jumping exercises, you should be able to improve 3-4" in your first year or so of hard training for vertical leap. That might push you over the edge to be able to get your dunk.

11 feet is top of the square. You telling me you can go 7 inches above top of the square off 2 feet? I want to see.

[/quote]

I’ll try to get some video now, even though my vert is down just a tad since my college volleyball career is over and I’ve been training MMA now. The other day I got an 11’4" touch off an approach so I am down a little but still fairly close to my peak jump. Here’s the best pictures I had up on my Facebook that show it. The pic I attached in in my garage gym last summer. The beam is at 9’6" and I have to duck to avoid hitting it.

And here is a 64" hurdle off a two step. Was scared to try to box jump this and wipeout so I just did a hurdle. Did it on a challenge (and because the girl’s soccer team was also in the weightroom and I was trying to be cool) after squatting. Note the high-top Chucks for extra style points.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
TheBodyGuard wrote:
jtrinsey wrote:

I’ll try to get some video now, even though my vert is down just a tad since my college volleyball career is over and I’ve been training MMA now. The other day I got an 11’4" touch off an approach so I am down a little but still fairly close to my peak jump. Here’s the best pictures I had up on my Facebook that show it. The pic I attached in in my garage gym last summer. The beam is at 9’6" and I have to duck to avoid hitting it.[/quote]

dude that is awesome! What was your program (roughly) that got you there??