I have been following a Westside template for about 6-7 months. Before that, I was following Madcow2’s version of Bill Starr 5x5.
I have been getting, quite honestly, not very good results on the Westside template and I am seriously considering switching back to the Madcow2 program. I have been eating enough and I have gained muscle and weight, but my strength is progressing VERY slowly. Here is why I want to switch back:
- I feel like I am not advanced enough for Westside
- I don’t like not being able to squat/deadlift in the same week
- I think that I responded better to the more basic template
- I prefer having multiple max effort days per week. Simply because it gives me more opportunities to add weight to the Big 3 rather than the Westside template where you only have 1 ME Upper and 1 ME Lower day.
- Due to my current schedule I can only exercise 3 days a week
What’s your opinion on all of this? One thing I will change to the Madcow2 program is that I will add in some assistance work (dips, some type of bicep curls, rear delt exercises, ab work, maybe some pullups).
Also, Madcow2 prescribes a 4 week deload period before the progression actually begins. This seems a little bit too much…I was thinking maybe a 2 week deload…?
The way I operate under the Madcow2 is once I stop adding weight to the bar each week, I just try and grind out more reps each session.
PS- also pondering the more advanced 5x5 geocities.com/elitemadcow1/5x5_Program