Dumbest things

I work out at the gym at the University of Toronto (a large very acedemic school). So naturally there are some pedestrian types at the gym (which is fine and good). But there is an old (60s) man who looks like Sanata Clause with a shorter beard who invents exercises that whould make me laugh if they were not so fucking scarry and dangerous.
He does “explosive side bends” where he strains to hold a heavy DB and snaps his goddamn head and neck back and forth faster than I would care to while holding nothing in my hand.
He also does “grandmas” where he hold a DB (in his hands) between his legs and swings it front to back like old school free throws. He does ab seizure on the leg raise bench (he actually broke the last one) that make him look like he is going to shit blood all over the place. I think he is the worst gym patron in the world.

For me it was the day I saw some middle aged yuppie type doing some sort of whacked out overly weighted good morning…this fella was bouncing so hard out of the bottom I could hear his spine making all kinds of god awful noises, It was scary and funny at the same time. I would be surprised if he went home that night with anything less than 2 bulging discs.

Colin,u say that man was old? Well,he didn’t invent some of those exercises u mentioned…
Jack Lalanne did…I read it somewhere where the old Lalanne showed a pic on that “dumbbell from between legs to back routine”

So maybe he was trying “old-man exercises” who knows…hope u know who Jack Lalanne is/was.

At my gym there is a guy we affectionately name “Crazy Insane Workout Guy”. Every movement he does is ballistic with the worst for possible. He’ll do pulldowns behind his head and just be jerking up and down and leaning forward and back. I couldn’t even give a tempo because each rep lasts less than a second. Preacher curls are done in the same way. One day he’s talking to this kid and about an hour later the kid is using the exact same form. I was in shock that the kid couldn’t tell this guy had the worst form ever. Nevermind that fact that he’s no bigger than a typical marathon runner

First of all, if you work out at 6:30 am most of the looneys are still in bed. Anyway, when I was not in the weirdo morning crowd my favorite was the ‘pack’ there were four guys who wandered from area to area with their gym bags - i guess it’s not cool to use a locker. They would gather around and each do two or three reps of a particular exercise while the others cheered and clapped and the lifter made loud funny noises. This could last more than two hours and could get quite entertaining. the best day was when they added a fifth member, and he did bent rows with lower weight but very strict form. The next guy ads about 100 pounds to the peg and proceeds to fly all over the place and grunt and groan…but does complete 5 reps. Upon stepping down, he explained that when lifting such high weights you HAVE to use different form.

LOL @ Michelle.