T Nation

Dumbell Face Pulls

I;ve been rehabing my scapula & shoulder, finally over the hump with instability & pain.Mt PT gave me the go for returning to the gym. He outlined a routine with external & internal rotation, push ups & rows.

He wants me to use dumbells only. I read on this site about dumbell face pulls but can’t find a picture or video showing the exercise. If any one has any pointers could use the help…

Try searching for dumbbell powercleans… Similar enough movement that nails the upper back. You’ll probably find some info on the EFS exercise index.

I remember cable face pulls not db, and understand I’m not arguing with your doctor just think you may have taken him too literally. He probably did not want you using Barbells becuase of the restricted movement in your shoulder but cable would be OK.

Actually I think cable will be better, considering the angles you want to apply force and that it will provide constant tension. Just use a rope and not a straight bar when you are doing them.

[quote]nkphish wrote:
I;ve been rehabing my scapula & shoulder, finally over the hump with instability & pain.Mt PT gave me the go for returning to the gym. He outlined a routine with external & internal rotation, push ups & rows.

He wants me to use dumbells only. I read on this site about dumbell face pulls but can’t find a picture or video showing the exercise. If any one has any pointers could use the help…
[/quote]

[quote]nkphish wrote:

[/quote]

You can find the video in a Cressey article. I believe the title started with ‘Pushups, Face pulls…’

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
I remember cable face pulls not db, and understand I’m not arguing with your doctor just think you may have taken him too literally. He probably did not want you using Barbells becuase of the restricted movement in your shoulder but cable would be OK.

Actually I think cable will be better, considering the angles you want to apply force and that it will provide constant tension. Just use a rope and not a straight bar when you are doing them.

nkphish wrote:

[/quote]

thanks for the advise was’nt sure.

[quote]Arioch wrote:

You can find the video in a Cressey article. I believe the title started with ‘Pushups, Face pulls…’[/quote]

Actually it was Robertson and Hartman.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=1426252

I think you could use any/all dumbbells/cables/bands.