T Nation

Dumbbells vs Barbells

Is one better than the other? Should they be used in conjunction? Is one better for one muscle group, while one is better for another?

T-Mag 4Ever.

They are like anything in the world of fitness, for variation.

With barbells you can usually put a higher load on your muscles you’re trying to target, but with BB’s you can’t work on maintaining a balancing as you are able to with dumbells. With dumbells you ensure that both sides of your body improve at an equal pace, with barbells it is easier to create imbalances. They also offer a greater range of motion in some instances, like in dumbell bench, and a more limited one like in dumbell deadlift.

Dumbbells and Barbells are just different tools- as are clubbells, kettlebells, sandbags, etc. etc.

There two different tools, both have their uses.

Use both. For the longest time I did bench with dumbells only, because I didn’t have a cage. Didn’t want to get caught under the bar. But I still use the dumbells often. And while you CAN get the left and right sides to develop in parallel with dumbells, it’s alsovery easy to let each side develop its own unique form to compensate for any weaknesses. It’s good to have a knowledgeable eye watching you sometimes to make sure this doesn’t get too ingrained that the weaknesses get compounded.