T Nation

Dumbbell Hooks

Has anyone used powerhooks ( http://www.powerhooks.com/ ) or any other type dumbbell hooks? I know I could use more weight if I didn’t have to kick up my dumbbells and with my recovering knee it’s a huge pain the ass. They seem like a great idea but I never see anyone on hear talking about using them. It makes me think maybe the products sucks or something. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them?

I think I read that CC uses something like this, he’d be a good person to ask (well, he always is anyway!).

One of my old training partners had them. I tried them once, but didn’t like them. It was a long time ago, but I think it was the velcro things that wrap on the DB were weird adn awkward. He used them because he bought them, but I also think I remember him saying once that he wouldn’t buy them again. I never used them besides that one time, even though they were available.

Getting to position 50kg plus dumbbells for bench pressing takes some energy of you.

[quote]desolator wrote:
Getting to position 50kg plus dumbbells for bench pressing takes some energy of you.[/quote]

Yes it does. Especially without a spotter for that 1st rep. And even more especially when you only have one good leg.

I bought them a few years back because I had shoulder surgery and starting that first rep on incline presses from a deep postition after jerking the dumbells up with your knees was killing me especially since I couldn’t come down as deep as I did before surgery.
They were good for that purpose and especially for conserving energy when trying to kick up dumbells on incline preesses once I starting getting up above the 80’s or 90’s. Flat presses don’t really need them but it’s still much more convenient.
The cons are that once you start getting heavy your palms hurt from the metal but it’s bearable or you can wear gloves.
The one other thing I don’t like about them is when you unrack them from a barbell between let’s say the posts in the squat rack you don’t have a lot of room for movement. Once the dumbells get heavier and bigger you can easily hit the sides of the posts and if your not in the right position or don’t tilt the dumbells a bit the hooks will hit into the barbell that you just unracked them from. Hope I explained that right.
Other than that they arent bad and I didn’t think they were that expensive.

A trainer at the gym I lift at had me try these out about a month ago. We tried them with incline presses and I did not like them at all. The first lift is really awkward and you immediately are using stabilization on an awkward movement. Kinda paranoid about re-racking them also. Can’t just slam the bar back and rack it like you do with a BB. Have to carefully position them while holding them above your head after a heavy set. They would would for some lighter sets but i just didn’t care for em.

So far sounds like they suck.

I’ve had that link bookmarked for at least 3 years! I keep debating whether they’d be a benefit.

Using dumbbells that in total equal your bodyweight can be exhausting “kicking” them up into position set after set.

And like Mateus expressed, after a grueling set, getting them back up and hooked onto a bar could be a major energy sapper itself.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
I’ve had that link bookmarked for at least 3 years! I keep debating whether they’d be a benefit.

Using dumbbells that in total equal your bodyweight can be exhausting “kicking” them up into position set after set.

And like Mateus expressed, after a grueling set, getting them back up and hooked onto a bar could be a major energy sapper itself.

[/quote]

The thing is I assumed I’d be able to just drop them after the set. But now that I think of it, that would probably smash the hooks.

I am on my second set of power hooks. I like them. They do take some getting used to. You have to be careful how they sit in your hands or the bar that connects the two side can dig into your palm. The reason I am on my second set is that the bar I mentioned above can break at the wield.

If you are not careful when you drop a dumbbell you can break the wield. If you know how to wield you could probably fix a break. I use them with plate loaded dumbbell handles and I think they are well worth the money even if I have to replace them every couple of years.

bpeck

I agree with bpeck. I bought a set in January. It took half-a-dozen workouts to figure the correct setup with bar/bench placement in the rack. My biggest concern was kicking up heavy bells and the injury potential. Using the power hooks, its not a concern any more.

When ever I do dumbbell presses I place my hand to where my thumb and index finger are all the way pressed against the inside of the plates. If I grab in the middle I can never find the balance point. I would think the hooks would prevent you from keeping your hand all the way to the inside because the hook is in the way.

There’s a guy at my gym who uses them for fkn EVERYTHING! Seem to work well for him.

I use mine quite a bit. I lift at home and my db’s and floor are mine so I am not to keen on dropping them. Controlling heavy db’s after a set kind of sucks to.

Another great advantage I did not notice until recently was how much it helps if you have an injury. My bicep has been messed for a while and now that it is starting to get stronger I can go heavy on most lifts again. DB presses could not happen without the hooks. There is no way it could handle kicking the weights into position.

Setting the weights after the set isn’t that bad, it just takes a little getting used to. All in all, I think they are a solid product.

I get around the constraints of a cage by putting the hooks and a BB on the front of the rack. This way when I take the hooks off, I have as much room as I want. You may not have the real estate where you are though.

You can also get those a lot cheaper at everybody’s favorite bb’ing website :wink:

Okay guys… I hope this doesn’t sound weird… but sometimes I wonder if the “kicking up” the dumbbells is a good prep for the work to be done. In other words, the kick-up somehow mentally prepares me and my body for that particular load.

Probably just me…

I can get 50kg db’s into position easy as piss with flat/incline, but doing shoulder presses fucking SUCKS with DB’s and I usually find myself avoiding that movement now.

So, with the hooks, I have to fucking set up in the power rack and take up a barbell, so I can use hooks for DB shoulder pressing? I don’t think i’ll be doing that.

What I would like, is a stand that you could set up behind a regular gym bench, with stable 'hold’s you can place each end of the dumbbell into, leaving the grip completely free.

Think of a “T” shaped contraption. With each arm of the T having the holds you can place the DB’s into. The tall section of the T would be telescopic (like a powerlifting stand) so you could use it for incline/flat also.

Gym’s could buy them and have them near the benches.

If you don’t want to pay 50 bucks, I’m sure you could make something that at least “works” by putting S-shaped hooks to the 4 ends of 2 strings. (“tying” the strings to the barbell and letting each db rest on two hooks, suspended by the strings)

Shouldn’t cost more than 5 bucks total and should allow you to just drop the dbs after the set.

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
I can get 50kg db’s into position easy as piss with flat/incline, but doing shoulder presses fucking SUCKS with DB’s and I usually find myself avoiding that movement now.

So, with the hooks, I have to fucking set up in the power rack and take up a barbell, so I can use hooks for DB shoulder pressing? I don’t think i’ll be doing that.

What I would like, is a stand that you could set up behind a regular gym bench, with stable 'hold’s you can place each end of the dumbbell into, leaving the grip completely free.

Think of a “T” shaped contraption. With each arm of the T having the holds you can place the DB’s into. The tall section of the T would be telescopic (like a powerlifting stand) so you could use it for incline/flat also.

Gym’s could buy them and have them near the benches.

[/quote]

Patent that shit and you’ll make some dough lol.

I can’t kick up dumbbells on shoulder presses either. Nothing more than 60 at least. So I do standing 1 arm DB shoulder presses instead. Hit my shoulders nicely.

ID - I generally prefer to kick-up the db’s as well. The only time I don’t is if the weight is heavy (for me anyways) or if I am a little dinged up.

I have never used the hooks for shoulder presses and I usually do a kind of clean type movement to get them into position. The only thing that really sucks about lifting in my basement is my low ceilings. I can’t stand in a shoulder width stance for overhead presses. I either have to sit or open my stance up wide. So when I start the db’s in motion I drop down into a wider stance and they don’t have to come up as far. It was very awkward at first, but I am used to it now. It probably looks fucking stupid when I do it though.