Dumbbell Dropping

[quote]E-man wrote:
Anybody that adds the weight of both dumbbells and compares that with a barbell bench is an idiot. Dumbells are 1.75-1.9 times more difficult than a barbell(pulled those figures out of my ass but they’re close).

[/quote]

I’ve read that dumbbell weight equals about 85% to 95% of barbell weight. So using a couple 140’s would be in the range of 295-325 for barbell weight. Of course this varies from person to person.

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:

How about you just lift, mind your own, and quit watching other guys train.[/quote]

Because it bends the shitty handles of the Hex dumbbells we have in my gym when the turds drop them. It’s a pain in the ass to try to hold the stupid things to where they kill your wrists because they are now “U” shaped.

Once again, Ryu to the rescue with unfounded idiotic statements.

He’s so e-hard he should have his own training site, shit we’ll just rename it Ryu-Nation.

I’ve heard dumbbbells translate to about 80% of your barbell max.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
E-man wrote:
Anybody that adds the weight of both dumbbells and compares that with a barbell bench is an idiot. Dumbells are 1.75-1.9 times more difficult than a barbell(pulled those figures out of my ass but they’re close).

I’ve read that dumbbell weight equals about 85% to 95% of barbell weight. So using a couple 140’s would be in the range of 295-325 for barbell weight. Of course this varies from person to person.[/quote]

I don’t know, I could only rep the 110’s before my injury, and I could rep 275 on the barbell. Most people I know are the same. It’s a Hell of a lot easier to push the weight up without having to worry about the lateral motion of the weight, as well as up and down. But it may be different for others.

[quote]Kratos wrote:
I don’t know, I could only rep the 110’s before my injury, and I could rep 275 on the barbell. Most people I know are the same. It’s a Hell of a lot easier to push the weight up without having to worry about the lateral motion of the weight, as well as up and down. But it may be different for others.[/quote]

110’s equal 80% of 275, so you’re not far outside the range I quoted. Like I said it will vary from person to person, but most people I know fall into that 85-95% range.

Other factors come into play, too. Someone who rarely dumbbell presses will likely have a much lower percantage. Also form and technique play a role. A dumbbell press may be a very different movement than a barbell press for some people.

[quote]bigdawgg28 wrote:
Ryu13 wrote:
bigdawgg28 wrote:
ok lets see i was in the gym today it was my chest day , i started with 70s,then 90s (10)then 100s(10) then120s(8) and then 14os for 3,and not till the 120s did i drop the weights, and it was from bench high not 3 ft up, and i dont yell befor during or after. so no im not at least bit jelious

280 for 3 reps? You should be jelous.

280 for 3 reps,well if i must explain my self to u, im coming off a pec injury.and have not done dumbells im 2 months, so i think thats pretty good.and u cant add up 140 dumbells and call it 280 it dosent work that way.and just for u to crap on me some more, i did 320 for 10,2 workouts ago, then last work out i benched 315 for 5, 335 for 5 and 355 for 5, so if that means im a wimp i will take it any day of the week. how many people u know that are 5-11 206 and bench around 400.maxing in a few weeks when sure chest is better[/quote]

if the avatar pic is you, id say you have a genetic gift for strength. also, if the pic is you, id say you need to cut down on the bench work. you have good numbers, but i dont think you look like you can do that, pair that up with a recent pec tear, and i would say that your eagerness to bench might be limiting your potential, both strength and physique-wise. not a rip on you, or a critique really, just something to think about.

[quote]malonetd wrote:

110’s equal 80% of 275, so you’re not far outside the range I quoted. Like I said it will vary from person to person, but most people I know fall into that 85-95% range.

Other factors come into play, too. Someone who rarely dumbbell presses will likely have a much lower percantage. Also form and technique play a role. A dumbbell press may be a very different movement than a barbell press for some people.[/quote]

I see what you mean, man. I got thick-headed for a second there. I think I need some more sleep. And you’re dead-on about the movements being different. Personally the pairs are a bit harder on my shoulders.

[quote]bigdawgg28 wrote:
ok lets see i was in the gym today it was my chest day , i started with 70s,then 90s (10)then 100s(10) then120s(8) and then 14os for 3,and not till the 120s did i drop the weights, and it was from bench high not 3 ft up, and i dont yell befor during or after. so no im not at least bit jelious[/quote]

Bigdawgg

If you’re 205lbs and you’re pressing 140lb DBs with proper form, then you’re doing great. Don’t let anyone bring you down by making negative comments.

[quote]GathCity wrote:
bigdawgg28 wrote:
ok lets see i was in the gym today it was my chest day , i started with 70s,then 90s (10)then 100s(10) then120s(8) and then 14os for 3,and not till the 120s did i drop the weights, and it was from bench high not 3 ft up, and i dont yell befor during or after. so no im not at least bit jelious

Bigdawgg

If you’re 205lbs and you’re pressing 140lb DBs with proper form, then you’re doing great. Don’t let anyone bring you down by making negative comments.

[/quote]

I agree. The point isn’t how much you can lift. The point is trying to increase your lifts. We all start somewhere so I wish you fuckheads who put in your two cents of unnecessary critisism would just fuck off and die.
You probably don’t lift at all or give superinflated numbers…You know why that is? Because anybody who has been in the gym enough time knows that 140’s are solid db’s to be moving period. It actually confirms that you are full of shit.

I hate these kids with nothing to do all day long other than bullshit on the internet. Why don’t you show us a picture of you db pressing 200’s? Does that sound ok?
I’m waiting.

To the OP. I agree that peabrain dumbell throwers are a nuisance. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it. However there are times when doing a final set of heavy db curls or some other excersize I just can’t stand the pain and do end up dropping them. That’s just the way it is.

People have got to understand that some people may be working around an injury or theyre the minority that leave theyre egos in the changing room.

Me personally, i work on breaking my own records and lowering any chance of injury. I take the view of what is the point of risking an injury to be an attention whore in the gym then be out for a month with a injured [insert muscles name].

And dont get me started on e-tough guys, i left another site because i was sick of certain pricks argueing and giving bullshit behind the safety of the internet.

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
bigdawgg28 wrote:
Ryu13 wrote:
bigdawgg28 wrote:

280 for 3 reps? You should be jelous.

280 for 3 reps,well if i must explain my self to u, im coming off a pec injury.and have not done dumbells im 2 months, so i think thats pretty good.and u cant add up 140 dumbells and call it 280 it dosent work that way.and just for u to crap on me some more, i did 320 for 10,2 workouts ago, then last work out i benched 315 for 5, 335 for 5 and 355 for 5, so if that means im a wimp i will take it any day of the week. how many people u know that are 5-11 206 and bench around 400.maxing in a few weeks when sure chest is better

if the avatar pic is you, id say you have a genetic gift for strength. also, if the pic is you, id say you need to cut down on the bench work. you have good numbers, but i dont think you look like you can do that, pair that up with a recent pec tear, and i would say that your eagerness to bench might be limiting your potential, both strength and physique-wise. not a rip on you, or a critique really, just something to think about. [/quote]

yes thats me in the pic that was taken 3 months ago.i will be getting new pics in a week or so.and yes i agree with some of u there is a time and place and way to drop weights to avoid injury and things like that, this was directed to the guys who do it for the attention

[quote]gamarz wrote:
Most of the dumbbell dropping that I have observed has been preceded by primal grunting on each rep. In most cases it is meant to attract attention.[/quote]

All right, two down and one to go to complete the Gym Ass Trifecta! Please choose one of the following for your closing action:

1. Shadow boxing or martial arts kicks between sets.
  2. Snorting and kicking your feet behind you like a bull getting ready to charge.
  3. Make a “number one” each hand and repeatedly move the tip of your index fingers from your forehead to the bar. It also helps to look skyward for guidance at some time during this performance.
  4. As you load a BB, slam new plates on there even louder than your DB-dropping antics.
  5. Before each set, act out a werewolf transformation like from The Howling or American Werewolf in London.

Thanks for playing!

There are a number of ways to complete the Gym Ass Trifecta. Pick your favorite:

1. Shadow boxing or martial arts kicks between sets.

2. Snorting and kicking the ground like a bull getting ready to charge before a set.

3. Slamming the plates on a BB even louder than your DB-dropping antics.

4. Make a “number 1” with each hand and repeatedly move your index fingers from your forehead to the bar and back to your forehead. As an added bonus, look skyward and thrust your hands in the air for Divine approval/assistance.

5. Before each set, enact a werewolf transformation like from The Howling or American Werewolf in London.