Dumbbell Dropping

why is it that the big guys in the gym find the need to drop dumbbells from as high as possiable.just to get looked at. and most of the time no one is looking at them any way.i lift as much as them if not more,and i dont need to drop them so the guy driving by with his radio on could hear me.i think it just makes them look lame, if your one of these guys please stop. remember its not how u look in the gym but how u look when u leave.

Usually it’s the small or thin they are big kids who do this.

This shit drives me nuts. I understand you may need to drop them on your last set or two. But you’re just being an asshole if you’re dropping your first set with the 40’s.

This issue isn’t totally black and white.

Yes, it’s fucking annoying when some skinny little guy has to drop the dumbbells after every set. At the same time – call me a dumbass if you will – I’ve almost injured my wrists a couple of times trying to limit the noise caused by the dumbbells.

The point is, there is no reason to drop the dumbbells from a couple of feet off the ground and it just makes you look like a douchebag.

Dude, I totally get it!

I work in a gym here in Toronto and that shit drives me nuts. And here it’s never the big guys that move real weight either. All those guys at my gym are awesome and have taught me a lot, especially powerlifting technique and olympic lifts.

Nope, it’s the weekend warriors dropping 40’s. You said it.

And for the love of God, take the 25’s off the bar and rack 'em when you’re done benching.

But that’s another thread.

Dude, I totally get it!

I work in a gym here in Toronto and that shit drives me nuts. And here it’s never the big guys that move real weight either. All those guys at my gym are awesome and have taught me a lot, especially powerlifting technique and olympic lifts.

Nope, it’s the weekend warriors dropping 40’s. You said it.

And for the love of God, take the 25’s off the bar and rack 'em when you’re done benching.

But that’s another thread.

I do it sometimes because my shoulder is somewhat messed up and lowering it aggravates it in a peculiar fashion.

However, I understand that it is only acceptable to chuck the dumbbells away at maximal velocity upon completion of the set if one has at some point during or immediately preceding the set shouted:

YEEAH BUDAAAAAAAAAAAY!
LIGHTWEIGHT!!!

[quote]bigdawgg28 wrote:
why is it that the big guys in the gym find the need to drop dumbbells from as high as possiable.just to get looked at. and most of the time no one is looking at them any way.i lift as much as them if not more,and i dont need to drop them so the guy driving by with his radio on could hear me.i think it just makes them look lame, if your one of these guys please stop. remember its not how u look in the gym but how u look when u leave.[/quote]
I sense a bit of jelousy.

Hell I’ve seen some guys heave them into the air for maximum thud.

Big guys can pretty much do what they want because, well, they’re big guys.

Why is it that anytime, anyone, makes any noise at the gym they’re doing it to get “attention”???

How about you just lift, mind your own, and quit watching other guys train.

ok lets see i was in the gym today it was my chest day , i started with 70s,then 90s (10)then 100s(10) then120s(8) and then 14os for 3,and not till the 120s did i drop the weights, and it was from bench high not 3 ft up, and i dont yell befor during or after. so no im not at least bit jelious

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
Why is it that anytime, anyone, makes any noise at the gym they’re doing it to get “attention”???

How about you just lift, mind your own, and quit watching other guys train.[/quote]

Exactly. And if it bothers you that bad then wear an ipod. Haven’t you ever seen video of an NFL weight room. The attitude and intensity is through the roof. I wish everybody at my gym trained with that much heart and soul because it’s contagious. But if you weigh less than 200 lbs it’s a different story.

Most of the dumbbell dropping that I have observed has been preceded by primal grunting on each rep. In most cases it is meant to attract attention.

[quote]Soldierslim wrote:
How about you just lift, mind your own, and quit watching other guys train.[/quote]

I don’t watch other people train, but I’ve been around enough idiots to know to at least be aware of the people around me. I’ve been hit in the shin with dumbbells. I’ve been bumped more times than I can remember. I’ve even had the end of my bar bumped while I was in the middle of squatting.

I have no problem with people dropping the weight out of necessity, I might even admire it if were done with a certian level of intensity and agression, but when people slam down a couple of 50’s on their first set, well, that’s just uncalled for.

[quote]bigdawgg28 wrote:
ok lets see i was in the gym today it was my chest day , i started with 70s,then 90s (10)then 100s(10) then120s(8) and then 14os for 3,and not till the 120s did i drop the weights, and it was from bench high not 3 ft up, and i dont yell befor during or after. so no im not at least bit jelious[/quote]

280 for 3 reps? You should be jelous.

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
bigdawgg28 wrote:
ok lets see i was in the gym today it was my chest day , i started with 70s,then 90s (10)then 100s(10) then120s(8) and then 14os for 3,and not till the 120s did i drop the weights, and it was from bench high not 3 ft up, and i dont yell befor during or after. so no im not at least bit jelious

280 for 3 reps? You should be jelous.[/quote]

Come on, man. People need to stop this trend of shitting on anyone if they ever mention a bench press of under 300lb. It’s not a huge number, but it’s a lot rarer than people on T-Nation make it seem.

At the gyms I’ve trained at, I rarely (if ever) notice anyone using anything heavier than the 70’s for bench pressing. Is that sad? Yes, very. But it’s not like 140lb dumbbells are pathetic in comparison to the average dink at the gym who is benching a pair of 40’s and then whipping them across the room while screaming at the end of the set.

PS: For both of you, it’s spelled jealous.

[quote]Ryu13 wrote:
bigdawgg28 wrote:

280 for 3 reps? You should be jelous.[/quote]

280 for 3 reps,well if i must explain my self to u, im coming off a pec injury.and have not done dumbells im 2 months, so i think thats pretty good.and u cant add up 140 dumbells and call it 280 it dosent work that way.and just for u to crap on me some more, i did 320 for 10,2 workouts ago, then last work out i benched 315 for 5, 335 for 5 and 355 for 5, so if that means im a wimp i will take it any day of the week. how many people u know that are 5-11 206 and bench around 400.maxing in a few weeks when sure chest is better

[quote]bigdawgg28 wrote:
Ryu13 wrote:
bigdawgg28 wrote:

280 for 3 reps? You should be jelous.

280 for 3 reps,well if i must explain my self to u, im coming off a pec injury.and have not done dumbells im 2 months, so i think thats pretty good.and u cant add up 140 dumbells and call it 280 it dosent work that way.and just for u to crap on me some more, i did 320 for 10,2 workouts ago, then last work out i benched 315 for 5, 335 for 5 and 355 for 5, so if that means im a wimp i will take it any day of the week. how many people u know that are 5-11 206 and bench around 400.maxing in a few weeks when sure chest is better[/quote]

Anybody that adds the weight of both dumbbells and compares that with a barbell bench is an idiot. Dumbells are 1.75-1.9 times more difficult than a barbell(pulled those figures out of my ass but they’re close).

[quote]malonetd wrote:
Soldierslim wrote:
How about you just lift, mind your own, and quit watching other guys train.

I don’t watch other people train, but I’ve been around enough idiots to know to at least be aware of the people around me. I’ve been hit in the shin with dumbbells. I’ve been bumped more times than I can remember. I’ve even had the end of my bar bumped while I was in the middle of squatting.

I have no problem with people dropping the weight out of necessity, I might even admire it if were done with a certian level of intensity and agression, but when people slam down a couple of 50’s on their first set, well, that’s just uncalled for.[/quote]

I agree with this completely! I don’t give a rats a$$ what someone else is lifting, but I too am aware of where they are, and what they intend to throw. I used to lift at a gym where a guy would throw his 100lb dumbells after working his chest. After having those weights roll into my feet I made a point of working out on the other side of the gym when he was around.

I think the guys that are throwing the 40lbs weights around… well… I don’t rightly know what to say about that. I think it’s pretty lame personally, but for them it may be a lot of weight. By the same token, if it is a lot… then they should reduce the weight until they can lift more and actually control the weight without injuring those around them.

~V