T Nation

Dumbass Gym Teacher

First, let me start out by saying my gym teacher is a typical gym idiot, all upper body and no lower. He was telling me what he worked out this morning and said he did back and bis. He said he did pullups, rows, back extensions, more pullups, and lat pulldowns for back. For the bis, he did something like regular dumbbell curls, hammer curls, 45 degree curls, and then burnouts. I laughed at him. I told him that when I worked back and bis All I did was bent over rows, pullups, and barbell curls. He couldn’t believe that working out for less than an hour would do anything. Someone tell me hes the idiot and not me.

Who has bigger arms?

You’re both idiots. 'Nuff said. haha. This isn’t a battle worth fighting mon ami there is no point to it.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Who has bigger arms?[/quote]

Who cares? Doommood said the guy has no legs. So eben if he has 19" arms, he’s still got got a physique.

[quote]elliotnewman1 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Who has bigger arms?

Who cares? Doommood said the guy has no legs. So eben if he has 19" arms, he’s still got got a physique.

[/quote]

Since they are comparing upperbody and specifically arm workouts I think their arm size matters.

This site (and I) tend to ignore a lot of direct arm training in favor of compound, multi-joint work.

This is great for overall fitness and athleticism, but if your goal is big arms, you have to put in the time and train them directly.

Hey, look, a dead horse. Let’s beat it.

My guess is that this is one of those skinny kids who reads a few articles and thinks he is the ultimate trainer.

[quote]alownage wrote:
Hey, look, a dead horse. Let’s beat it.
[/quote]

It makes the meat a lot more tender.

[quote]alownage wrote:
Hey, look, a dead horse. Let’s beat it.

My guess is that this is one of those skinny kids who reads a few articles and thinks he is the ultimate trainer.[/quote]

haha, youre so right! i remember having a pissing contest with this little guy once…

[quote]dez6485 wrote:
alownage wrote:
Hey, look, a dead horse. Let’s beat it.

My guess is that this is one of those skinny kids who reads a few articles and thinks he is the ultimate trainer.

haha, youre so right! i remember having a pissing contest with this little guy once…[/quote]

For power of stream, aim, or ability to start and stop flow?

[quote]TheWookie wrote:
dez6485 wrote:
alownage wrote:
Hey, look, a dead horse. Let’s beat it.

My guess is that this is one of those skinny kids who reads a few articles and thinks he is the ultimate trainer.

haha, youre so right! i remember having a pissing contest with this little guy once…

For power of stream, aim, or ability to start and stop flow?[/quote]

At your age I bet the flow starts and stops all the time.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
TheWookie wrote:
dez6485 wrote:
alownage wrote:
Hey, look, a dead horse. Let’s beat it.

My guess is that this is one of those skinny kids who reads a few articles and thinks he is the ultimate trainer.

haha, youre so right! i remember having a pissing contest with this little guy once…

For power of stream, aim, or ability to start and stop flow?

At your age I bet the flow starts and stops all the time.[/quote]

Saw palmetto!

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
First, let me start out by saying my gym teacher is a typical gym idiot, all upper body and no lower. He was telling me what he worked out this morning and said he did back and bis. He said he did pullups, rows, back extensions, more pullups, and lat pulldowns for back. For the bis, he did something like regular dumbbell curls, hammer curls, 45 degree curls, and then burnouts. I laughed at him. I told him that when I worked back and bis All I did was bent over rows, pullups, and barbell curls. He couldn’t believe that working out for less than an hour would do anything. Someone tell me hes the idiot and not me. [/quote]

I just wanted to emphasize how stupid this post was. You laughed at someone for doing several exercises for biceps? So, if you saw me train, you would be laughing at me because I do several exercises for biceps? Some of you dipshits are truly stupid far beyond the “normal” level of stupidity. It is as if you try to take being a dumbass to all new heights and boundaries, stretching the confinements until they are bursting at the seams.

Let me guess…his arms are bigger than your arms.

What equals “no lower body” to some of you? I would love to see a picture of this guy who is ALL upper body as if he never trains legs. While it is a possibility, the more likely scenario is that he is simply bigger than you and you are looking for something at all to criticize about him…because you read an article or two on this site and assume you know more than everyone else.

Fools.

wait X you arent doing full body compound routine??? whats wrong with you man dont you know you wont make any gains!!! and i saw in another post you were using a dipping machine??? dont you know machines suck and should never be used? i guess no one told you weightlifting is all about absolutes…

Seriously though - whose arms are bigger? - i need closure.

[quote]Ryu wrote:
Seriously though - whose arms are bigger? - i need closure.[/quote]

You are joking, right?
What kills me here, at this site, is the tape measure test of correctness. Say a guy walks in with 24 inch arms. WOW, he is the man. Listen to what he says. UH OH, twenty minutes later, a guy with 24 1/8th walks in, and does everything differently. Throw away the first guys input, he mist be wrong.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Ryu wrote:
Seriously though - whose arms are bigger? - i need closure.

You are joking, right?
What kills me here, at this site, is the tape measure test of correctness. Say a guy walks in with 24 inch arms. WOW, he is the man. Listen to what he says. UH OH, twenty minutes later, a guy with 24 1/8th walks in, and does everything differently. Throw away the first guys input, he mist be wrong.

[/quote]

Good job at missing the point. I remember being the type of kid who would have asked both of those guys how they trained, added that to my gathered knowledge from other sources and simply come to the conclusion that NEITHER would be wrong in their approach.

The true idiot is the kid who would sit back and laugh at the guy with “24” arms" because he was doing several exercises all based on reading a freaking article on a website. It would make it that much more retarded if the kid laughing is much smaller than those he is pointing at.

[quote]DooMMOoD wrote:
First, let me start out by saying my gym teacher is a typical gym idiot, all upper body and no lower. He was telling me what he worked out this morning and said he did back and bis. He said he did pullups, rows, back extensions, more pullups, and lat pulldowns for back. For the bis, he did something like regular dumbbell curls, hammer curls, 45 degree curls, and then burnouts. I laughed at him. I told him that when I worked back and bis All I did was bent over rows, pullups, and barbell curls. He couldn’t believe that working out for less than an hour would do anything. Someone tell me hes the idiot and not me. [/quote]

Sounds like he’s working a high volume program.

Not terribly unusual. Broaden your horizons a bit. There isn’t much worse than contempt without investigation.

Actualy, if you are relatively new t lifting, and still in highschool, you would probably benefit a great deal from higher volume.

Given what you have demonstrated about your knowledge of training as it relates to age and volume, I would have to say that You are the idiot on this one.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:
Ryu wrote:
Seriously though - whose arms are bigger? - i need closure.

You are joking, right?
What kills me here, at this site, is the tape measure test of correctness. Say a guy walks in with 24 inch arms. WOW, he is the man. Listen to what he says. UH OH, twenty minutes later, a guy with 24 1/8th walks in, and does everything differently. Throw away the first guys input, he mist be wrong.

Good job at missing the point. I remember being the type of kid who would have asked both of those guys how they trained, added that to my gathered knowledge from other sources and simply come to the conclusion that NEITHER would be wrong in their approach.

The true idiot is the kid who would sit back and laugh at the guy with “24” arms" because he was doing several exercises all based on reading a freaking article on a website. It would make it that much more retarded if the kid laughing is much smaller than those he is pointing at.
[/quote]
I didn’t miss the point, but thank you. You bring up a good point in the listening to many sources. One point I would like to get across is some make progress despite what they do, some make progress because of what they do.

The other side of the coin is that there are some that won’t progress as well as others despite having everything dialed in. It is very individual. The only constant is that effort matters. The sample size that matters is n=1, with that 1 being your own training.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
Ryu wrote:
Seriously though - whose arms are bigger? - i need closure.

You are joking, right?
What kills me here, at this site, is the tape measure test of correctness. Say a guy walks in with 24 inch arms. WOW, he is the man. Listen to what he says. UH OH, twenty minutes later, a guy with 24 1/8th walks in, and does everything differently. Throw away the first guys input, he mist be wrong.

[/quote]

Yes, yes i am. (we really need a sarcastic smilie on the forum lol)

BUT - whose arms were bigger?lol

[quote]Professor X wrote:
DooMMOoD wrote:
First, let me start out by saying my gym teacher is a typical gym idiot, all upper body and no lower. He was telling me what he worked out this morning and said he did back and bis. He said he did pullups, rows, back extensions, more pullups, and lat pulldowns for back. For the bis, he did something like regular dumbbell curls, hammer curls, 45 degree curls, and then burnouts. I laughed at him. I told him that when I worked back and bis All I did was bent over rows, pullups, and barbell curls. He couldn’t believe that working out for less than an hour would do anything. Someone tell me hes the idiot and not me.

I just wanted to emphasize how stupid this post was. You laughed at someone for doing several exercises for biceps? So, if you saw me train, you would be laughing at me because I do several exercises for biceps? Some of you dipshits are truly stupid far beyond the “normal” level of stupidity. It is as if you try to take being a dumbass to all new heights and boundaries, stretching the confinements until they are bursting at the seams.

Let me guess…his arms are bigger than your arms.

What equals “no lower body” to some of you? I would love to see a picture of this guy who is ALL upper body as if he never trains legs. While it is a possibility, the more likely scenario is that he is simply bigger than you and you are looking for something at all to criticize about him…because you read an article or two on this site and assume you know more than everyone else.

Fools.[/quote]

X, while I agree with you on many points, your fallacy is in that you think that he (the poster) is making a mistake in thinking that they (the teacher) is wrong just because he has “bigger biceps”. You are assuming his position is coming from someone who is smaller and trying to compensate for that.

That may be the case, but he may actually be bigger and be tired of hearing from someone who has “Bigger Arms” (the teacher) but cannot perform athletically, or cannot prove himself in the gym, or in reality has no lower body (these guys do actually exist).

Remember X, the guy he is talking about may just be another gym “know it all” who cannot backup anything he says, when it comes to real strength.

You may be right in your assesment, then again the guy (the teacher) may be a pussy. Who’s arm’s are bigger is irrelevant to who knows more about working out.

Let’s not forget that genetics and drugs do play a part in this game. A simple example is Phil Parcells and T.O. Who do you think can make the better call for the next play in a football game? Physically, T.O. is better suited to perform the next play. That does not mean he knows better what the next play should be.
Obviously, the coach is better suited to call the next play, even though he is not best suited to run the next play.

It is possible that the teacher is all upper and no lower body. We have all seen it. Consider that before you call everyone “fools”.

You are speaking from a position from which you know what the fuck the reality is. You are speaking from the position opposite the “majority” of the people on the forum. That is just as ridiculous.

BTW, the original poster never said “this guy is an idiot because he laughed at someone for doing several exercises for biceps”.

The original poster actually was laughing because the teacher thought “He couldn’t believe that working out for less than an hour would do anything.”

X, the the original poster is correct and you are wrong to question whether the “Teacher” is correct just because he may have bigger arms.

Yes, sometimes, the guy with the bigger arms knows better. But, we should all know by now, that is not always the case. Interview most professional athletes about nutrition and training and you’ll see what
I’m talking about.

Sometimes, the big guy is bigger because he trains and eats better than most everyone else. Sometimes it is just dumb luck regarding his genetics.

X, I would have expected more from you. Let’s see if you can respond with a rational response, rather than personal attacks.