T Nation

Dumb Training Sayings - RANT

I am so sick of certain sayings that trainer use to make themselves sound important.

My 2 hated are…

1.SPORT SPECIFIC…I cannot make you a better hockey, football, soccer etc player. What I can do is make you a stronger player(Which equates to speed and agility). The only way to get better is to play your sport.

2.DRY LAND TRAINING…WTF…the only dry land training that can be performed is for frigging swimmers…

Just a 2 second rants…there are many more that we all dislike, please add your own.

Kerwyn.

[quote]kerwyn wrote:
1.SPORT SPECIFIC…I cannot make you a better hockey, football, soccer etc player. What I can do is make you a stronger player(Which equates to speed and agility). The only way to get better is to play your sport.
[/quote]

Sport specific movements are designed to make a certain athletic movement stronger, hence sport specific.

There are sport specific movements. Sure everyone benefits from them but there are movements that offer more benefit to eno sport than another.

I dont think a football player is going to get as much out of wood chopps than a golfer or baseball player would.

There are also sex specific movements. Like women doing bottom 1/4 high rep squats.

[quote]kerwyn wrote:
2.DRY LAND TRAINING…WTF…the only dry land training that can be performed is for frigging swimmers…

Just a 2 second rants…there are many more that we all dislike, please add your own.

Kerwyn.
[/quote]

Don’t forget about ice sports… speed skating, hockey, figure skating. They’re performed on ice.

[quote]kerwyn wrote:
I am so sick of certain sayings that trainer use to make themselves sound important.

My 2 hated are…

1.SPORT SPECIFIC…
2.DRY LAND TRAINING

Kerwyn.
[/quote]

So if swimmers practiced the breast stroke pool-side, would that be like DRY LAND SPORT SPECIFIC TRAINING?

My favorite term is GPP. On a positive note, cutting the grass, shoveling the driveway, and carrying the laundry are no monger household chores, now they are part of my training (I think it’s a CT specialty program from a few years ago).

[quote]PGA wrote:
There are also sex specific movements.[/quote]

You mean, like, hip extensions and hand strength? jk!

[quote]kerwyn wrote:
I cannot make you a better hockey, football, soccer etc player.
[/quote]

In that case, I hope you aren’t training any…

Functional strength…

Squats and milk.

TBT

I train my total body too, I just happen to seperate it a bit, and amazingly yield better results…

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
kerwyn wrote:
I cannot make you a better hockey, football, soccer etc player.

In that case, I hope you aren’t training any…[/quote]

Some trainers claim they can increase SKILL level, leave that to their coaches…thats what I meant…
Polquin said it best , running ladders does not make you run faster, but I still see trainers doing them all the time…

K.

The one word that absolutely drives me crazy; the one word that is so overused and misused; the one word that I hear almost everyday at the gym is “toned.”

“I’m not trying to get big and bulky. I just want to get toned.”

About 80% of the people that have said that word to me in a conversation thought that the key to getting “toned” was to do light weight with high reps, complemented with tons of ab work.

If I ever take over the world I’m banning the use of that word forever. It’s just been used incorrectly so many times in articles and on tv that it acts as total misinformation now.

Calling ten pounds a “dime.”

The worst is when it is used in sentence form, “Hey bro’ I am feelin’ it wooo great bench pressing, slap some dimes on this bitch.”

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:

The worst is when it is used in sentence form, “Hey bro’ I am feelin’ it wooo great bench pressing, slap some dimes on this bitch.”[/quote]

Nooooo…Say it aint so! haha…That’s hilarious.
Why is it trainers are the only people with their profession written on the back of their shirt? I can’t stand that!

[quote]stockzy wrote:
EmperialChina wrote:

The worst is when it is used in sentence form, “Hey bro’ I am feelin’ it wooo great bench pressing, slap some dimes on this bitch.”

Nooooo…Say it aint so! haha…That’s hilarious.
Why is it trainers are the only people with their profession written on the back of their shirt? I can’t stand that![/quote]

It’s so you know who you probably shouldn’t listen to.

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:

The worst is when it is used in sentence form, “Hey bro’ I am feelin’ it wooo great bench pressing, slap some dimes on this bitch.”[/quote]

I like to call them nickels, dimes and quarters. The little bitty shits are half nickels, too.

[quote]MODOK wrote:
Mine is “go for the burn”…every time I hear some dufus say that I wish for a can of lighter fluid and a match so I can can spurt it on his tiny arms and strike it up and yell “how does that feel homo?!” while he’s dashing around looking for a pool to jump in to.[/quote]

Not much of a believer in the 'ol ‘eye for an eye’ philosophy huh MODOK?

A real laugher is ‘Go big or go home’. Any nimwit who says that has instant dufus status. I haven’t seen anyone who’s for real actually say that.

I’m a trainer but am so embarrassed by what’s become of the profession that I refuse to use the term ‘personal trainer’ about what I do. ‘Personal strength coach’ sometimes gets used but it just seems to confuse people. So I say I’m a trainer and when they ask I say a Seal trainer, and sometimes Walruses.

Fish

[quote]taylorsj wrote:
The one word that absolutely drives me crazy; the one word that is so overused and misused; the one word that I hear almost everyday at the gym is “toned.”

“I’m not trying to get big and bulky. I just want to get toned.”

About 80% of the people that have said that word to me in a conversation thought that the key to getting “toned” was to do light weight with high reps, complemented with tons of ab work.

If I ever take over the world I’m banning the use of that word forever. It’s just been used incorrectly so many times in articles and on tv that it acts as total misinformation now.[/quote]

Toned actually does not bother me. Yes, it is used incorrectly. Techincally, tone refers to muscle tonus, the degree to which a muscle is contracted at rest. But EVERYONE understands what someone means when they use it in the vernacular, particularly women. And it’s a helluva lot shorter than describing what it conveys. Toned means reasonably lean with some but not significant muscular development. No striations, some visible muscle definition, but little separation. Retain a modicum of softness. Basically, the look that Sexy Female Training is designed to achieve. A woman can say, “I would like to develop some but not significant muscular development, obtain a reasonable level of leanness. I don’t wan’t striations. I want some visible muscle definition but little separation. I’d like to retain a modicum of softness.” OR, she can say, I’d like to get toned.

[quote]jsbrook wrote:

Toned actually does not bother me. Yes, it is used incorrectly. Techincally, tone refers to muscle tonus, the degree to which a muscle is contracted at rest. But EVERYONE understands what someone means when they use it in the vernacular, particularly women. And it’s a helluva lot shorter than describing what it conveys. Toned means reasonably lean with some but not significant muscular development. No striations, some visible muscle definition, but little separation. Retain a modicum of softness. Basically, the look that Sexy Female Training is designed to achieve. A woman can say, “I would like to develop some but not significant muscular development, obtain a reasonable level of leanness. I don’t wan’t striations. I want some visible muscle definition but little separation. I’d like to retain a modicum of softness.” OR, she can say, I’d like to get toned. [/quote]

That’s true. Good point. I guess my beef is not with the word itself, so much as the misconceptions of how to achieve “toned” status.

Hearing women use the following two words: “too big”.

Yes, I know that this is a dumb training sayings thread. :smiley: