Dumb Ass Question!

Although I’m posting this in the beginner section, I’m sure that someone will still have a pop at this question for beig lame, but here goes:

I play soccer 3-4 times a week (1-2 hours a time), and have done for the past few years.
However, I really want to bulk up a bit, and have decided to set up a gym at home. My question is a) what’s a good first-time set-up b) are free weights the best option for a beginner?

Sorry for the lame question,

Cheers

Dan

[quote]Ahdanielsan wrote:
Although I’m posting this in the beginner section, I’m sure that someone will still have a pop at this question for beig lame, but here goes:

I play soccer 3-4 times a week (1-2 hours a time), and have done for the past few years.
However, I really want to bulk up a bit, and have decided to set up a gym at home. My question is a) what’s a good first-time set-up b) are free weights the best option for a beginner?

Sorry for the lame question,

Cheers

Dan[/quote]

It’s not a lame question, particularly.
Yes, free weights.
You need to say goals and $$ though.

Good point :slight_smile:
I’m looking to bulk up my top half. I’ve already got legs like tree trunks and, although they could do with some toning, they’re in pretty good shape.
Probably not enough info there, but I’ll plead new-boy ignorance again :wink:
Cash wise - having done a quick UK to US currency crunch - I’ve got about $500.

Many thanks for your help,

Dan

Best option then is probably an adjustable bench, barbell set, adjustable dumbbells, and plates.

And food. :slight_smile:

-also Dan

Stupidest question has already been posted…the award is going to FIRESNATCH…your fine bro.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Best option then is probably an adjustable bench, barbell set, adjustable dumbbells, and plates.

And food. :slight_smile:

-also Dan[/quote]

agreed. Maybe find a welder to make you a good power rack?
There are plans on the web, if you search.
Used stuff is a good option.
If you get a rack you can have a standard adjustable bench.
A 300lb oly set is good, but some people say standard is better value for the money (I disagree, but I just like the feel of the oly bar!)
Search for “dolfzine”, there’s an article there that might be of some help.
Then you can come back here and order Grow! and Surge and get a good program from Waterbury.

Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Dan

Dan-
I’m training one of the best HS soccer players in Massachusetts.
Soccer players run a lot as you know. I’m sure your legs are strong in some respects. but I think you should do more than build upper body. That will help to balance your strengths. But you need to do some heavy lower body work to balance all the repetition/running work.

Heavy squats, GM’s, glute ham raises, deadlifts will both make you faster/accelerate better, give you some more max strength as opposed to strength endurance, and and help prevent injuries from the reptition wear and tear.

Don’t think of this work as ‘legs’. Its lower body and is posterior chain oriented - hips, hamstrings, glutes.
You’ll also find some heavy calf raises will give you some extra oomph on your first step.
See Joe DeFranco’s article - Westside for Skinny Bastards - it applies very well to your situation.

As far as home gym, ideally, a power rack, olympic bar and weights are the basic.
Extras include dumbbells of course. A GHR would be ideal but pricy for something worthwhile.

[quote]Ahdanielsan wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys. Much appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Dan[/quote]

On a side note, be sure you get some good protein/carbs (i.e. Surge is a good pick) in you after games if you are looking to add some bulk. I play soccer as well (only twice a week in comparison to your 3-4 times) and all that running can wreak havoc on any attempts to gain size.

Best of luck to you! Nice to have another player on the site.

Kuz

• Return with honor.

I’m sure you’re right about strengthening my legs. I have a few
recurring injuries - one around my hip - and from what you say these
exercises could keep these niggling injuries at bay (ironically, I tweaked one of them tonight!).
I’ve always taken natural leg strength for granted, but it’s obvious
that I can do a lot to improve.
Again, thanks for everyone’s input.

Dan

PS Good food info, Kuz. I’ll read up on Surge

Dont under estimate the importance of a pull up bar and weight belt.

For $500 you should be able to find a pretty nice used set up.

your best bet is some sort of rack that can be used for a variety of pushing, pulling squatting movements

you will need a weight set, but those are usually not to pricey, atleast here in the states

add to that a sturdy adjustable bench

perhaps some bumbells if you can fine em cheap enough

some sort of dipping/pullup station

if you get all this used it will be under 500

and you have to eat a lot too, since you are playing soccer and you burn up a lot of calories running all day.

Again, thanks for the advice.

I’m currently in the process of clearing out all the junk from my garage, so I have a decent space to use.

I’ve looked into products and pricing, and I’m going to start off with a decent bench and a weights set. As I’m just starting out, I think it’s silly to go out there and buy much more (I’m taking the old K.I.S.S approach :wink: ).
One last thing: when do you guys find is the best time to train? I’m a writer, and work some pretty odd hours, but early morning would be my preferred choice.

Dan