DukeTheSlaya's Journey to Overhead Pressing Like a God

Now iv always had fucked up shoulders ( iv mentioned this a few times), but its all about finding movements that dont aggravate them.

1 Like

8 Likes

A bit late, but just throwing some help in if you still need it concerning your abs and squatting. For tensing, don’t think of it as trying to target your abs as if you’re doing crunches, or rollouts, or leg raises. Instead brace as though you’re trying to fart or pee, (but don’t pull one of my stunts and actually piss yourself lol), and let your intra-abdominal pressure support you and the weight. Idk if you’ve already tried this or if someone else already chimed in on it.

2 Likes

Whoa! There’s a story there :flushed: hahaha

1 Like

Happens somewhat frequently with girls during bracing. A male friend of mine turtled whilst pulling 260kg. Shit Happens (pun intended).

3 Likes

dude, wow. That workout after wasnt easy either.

1 Like

I was attemting to brace my abbs like i was going to get punched. Thankyou i will try bracing like i need to piss or fart and hopefully not shit myself lol.

2 Likes

Id rather train, then undergain haha.

1 Like

Punny! . Itd really suck if someone let loose a stream during squats at a powerlifting meet lol.

People have been known to projectile vomit energy drinks and carbs onto the head ref sometimes.

2 Likes

Damn those poor refs

Haha that made my day😂

Yea you can ask Mark or Botslayer, there’s been multiple times in my log that I’ve peed myself. Recently it helps to use the bathroom even if I feel like I don’t have to use the bathroom. Pelvic floor exercises help quite a bit for women who have problems with that on a regular basis. And adductor strength plays a role in it too. Mothers who have given birth also experience this. It comes with the territory I guess lol

2 Likes

At least one female did during DL art my last meet.

1 Like

Lower 1
Yeah so this was kind of a shit workout, Was feeling extremely weak on squats and it has to do with bracing, i just couldnt brace, and i keep forgetting the cues for squatting ( not forgetting literally but forgetting to use them), so from now on in my little booklet that i carry around, im going to write the cues down and between every set im going to look at them and get them nailed in.

Squat
85% (85kg) × 1 went up really slow
70% × Amrap fail got like five when last time it was ten, got 5 and 5 was even a struggle.
Didnt even attempt the second set of aiming for half reps.

Romanian deadlifts. These went well .
85%×1
Well dont know my one rep max for this and i dont really want to learn it on an exercise such as romanians i just kept it at what i did last time
60× 4 (“”“85%”“”)
70% Amrap
50 ×13 Pr previous pr 12
60 second rest
×7 Pr previous pr 6
Happy with this.

Lunges 5×10-20 was weak as hell on these today as well. Faill

Overhead walks superset with Plate pinches walks for grip and forearms . Awesome superset for the whole body. :+1:keeping this for lower body days and upper days is still the prowler.
I was only using 30kg for overhead walks and it was pretty light tbh, but il keep this lightish for now.

4 Likes

What are your current cues for bracing?

1 Like

Chest up, butt out , shoulders back and squeeezing/crushing the bar, tight back and shoulder blades, toes out at about 30 degrees or whatevers comfortable / , take a deep breath pushing your belly out like apregnant woman and fill up with air, once you cant take any more are breathe air into your obliques lower back,
Tense the abbs then sit back and your butt goes back and stays back, make sure the kness are moving back then you are keeping the shins vertical, so knees out and knees over the toes. Then once you get to parallel or slightly below ( i dont like atg squats and i dont see the benefit of atg anyway) go up and squeeze thr glutes at the top then repeat the breathing and bracing then next rep

That’s a lot to remember. Try

Squeeze and hold glutes squeezed
Hinge back (that’s butt back)
Pull elbows into your sides
Push knees out (which is what initiates the descent too).

That’s what I do.

3 Likes

Cheers i was actually not squeezing the glutes at all during the start, yeah that looks alot easier to remember. Also the bracing and the breathing i have to get downpact

1 Like