DukeTheSlaya's Journey to Overhead Pressing Like a God

One of my biggest regrets in training was not getting a belt much earlier. I had imposed some manner of gatekeeping on myself and insisted that I had to hit certain lifts before I ever used a belt. After blowing out my back on some pin squats, I finally got a belt, and it was just night and day difference. Learning how to use one earlier would have been awesome.

It cost a good amount of money, yeah, but a good belt will last a lifetime. If a kid is too poor to afford drugs and booze because they spent all their money on lifting gear, it’s not the worse thing in the world, haha.

5 Likes

I’d say go for it. For someone totally new to lifting, I don’t really think a belt is worth the purchase. But if it’s something a person is serious about pursuing, as I believe @duketheslaya is, it’s an investment that will return for years.

Not sure about shipping to Aus, but I bought my belt off of the Lifting Large website and I love it. I bought the “Texas Training Power Belt 4x4”, but there are also a couple different economy versions that I was going to buy but they didn’t have my size in stock.

2 Likes

Also minimal monthly payments to make, why i got most of my gear during the summer when i didn’t have to pay as much yet.

A belt is the absolute most essential piece of equipment for a lifter. Yes, he should get one. It doesn’t sound like money’s an issue from what he’s said to this point, so I’m working off that assumption. Duke doesn’t seem to be interested in spending money on anything other than lifting-related stuff. So yea, it sounds like he’s already made the decision that this is how he wants to allocate whatever funds he has. If he knows he wants to spend the cash, he should get a high quality belt now. These things last forever.

1 Like

Solid advice. I was getting nicked up doing squats and deads with “light weights” (heavy to me) because I was still learning and I didn’t have belt support. I bought a cheap fabric belt on Amazon, and it worked fine for a while. Eventually, I bought an Inzer and am sure it will last a lifetime - wish I had bought it right away rather than waiting.

2 Likes

I’ve used a belt since I was 15, never had any problems from doing it.

So I’d say that if Duke wants a belt, then he should get one - probably not the most expensive one at first though.

My current belt cost me 40€, it has lasted for almost two years.

2 Likes

Gym swag > gym performance, 10/10 agree

2 Likes

I’ve heard great things about Inzer so I bought one of their belts a month ago. Just a heads-up to duke: if you’re going for an Inzer, they take forever to ship. That’s why they’re called Inzer Forever belts. 6-8 weeks to be manufactured and another 2-5 business days for shipping I believe. I should add that I bought a double prong red white & blue belt
 single prong black is the only thing they keep stocked all the time I think. So that would probably arrive in a fraction of the time as a custom one.

Lol good one. You’re probably just salty

2 Likes

Well no shit I’m salty, I have to wait 2 months for something that I paid $130 for hahaha

1 Like

I got my pioneer belt in less than a week.

1 Like

It was a toss-up between Crain, Pioneer, and Inzer. Someday when I have money, I might buy a Pioneer for fun. They seem to be just as well-reviewed as Inzer

I mean, if you’ve already got an Inzer there really isn’t a point to that. It really is about the same as the Inzer forever belt. I’ve had both. I only bought the Pioneer because my Inzer was stolen, and I asked some lifting friends for advice on direction for my next belt. It was basically unanimous in support of Pioneer.

1 Like

How long did you have your Inzer before it was stolen? That blows. Watch it magically appear on someone squatting in your gym. And do you think the inzer would’ve actually lasted your entire career? Because if so, I’ll take that Pioneer belt money and start saving for a cycle in 10 years. (Kind of kidding, but not really)

I had pretty quick shipping on an Inzer belt. I think it’s because I ordered a black one. Trying to get one in a color is a chore from what I’ve seen.

1 Like

I believe the inzer would have lasted indefinitely, and I expect the pioneer and sbd belts I have to do the same. They just don’t wear out. I had the inzer for 4 years I believe. It had sweat stains on it. That’s it. All the holes were still in great shape. Hardware was like new.

I had my gym bag in the backseat of my truck, which was parked in my parking garage. I left the door unlocked to the truck over night, and I lost the gym bag with all my gym gear, 2 pairs of expensive sunglasses, and my wallet, which I tend to leave in my car. It did blow. The gym bag had my weightlifting shoes as well, along with a rehband soft belt, wraps, straps, etc. 600 dollars or so worth of gear. And I assume whoever stole it opened up the bag, said ‘I can’t use any of this’ and tossed it in the nearest dumpster.

2 Likes

I have no words
 I’m really sorry that happened to you man

Is this still an issue you’re seeing?

Your account should have a 100 Likes/day max, but I have to look more into what happens in the (extremely rare and hard to do) situation that it’s reached.

EDIT: Seems like the hundreds of thousands of hours-thing was a bug in the system that should be sorted out now. If it’s still an issue, do me a favor and toss a thread over in the Forum Feedback section.

I stand corrected. Get a belt. Get a good one and it’ll last.

1 Like