DukeTheSlaya's Journey to Overhead Pressing Like a God

For what it’s worth, if I get consumed by a project such as renovating a bathroom or installing a patio made entirely of 4x8 inch bricks then I tend to start dropping my food intake and increasing my light beer intake. I also skip workouts. If I do this for two weeks I can lose up to 10lbs. It will then take me at least a month if not more to get it back by doing a “clean bulk”.

I guess I should be happy that I shrink instead of just getting soft but it sucks. I’ve been training like an athlete/bodybuilder for over 15 years now and this still happens.

I thought I’d share that to someone younger to show the importance of eating right. It will always be important. If you can make that a priority and eat right 90% of the time all the time then you will see slow and steady progress. If not, we’ll be having similar conversations 5 years from now, 10 years from now, etc.

4 Likes

Decided to do fullbody ×3 a week because whats the point of say doing legs once a week? Squat till you die boiii

Full body 1
Smith machine front squat 3×6 70kg
1×3 80kg
1×2 90kg ( i dont know i even did this considering it nearly killed me last time but i was like no i will not be a weakling so with all the rage i could muster i squatted that shit!!

bent over rows smith machine. I did these but nah il stick to one arm db rows
3×10 60kg
1×4 70kg
20 pullups total
Il gradually increase the volume each session.
Db flat bench press
3×10 22.5kg dumbells
Im so weak at these i went to do a heavier set but that shit as

Standing dumbell shoulder press
3×8 20kg dumbells
Forgot to do the heavier set

Stretched then bye gym

So no more tricep pressdowns or whatever other rubbish atm nope just gonna get strong af and do them later on i might occasionally do some curls or something but meh

1 Like

Duke I commend you on your enthusiasm and the effort you have consistently shown towards your training in your log. I think the points made above about the importance of diet and consistently eating right are excellent. You have decided to focus on strength as your main goal for the short term which I think is a great way to go, notice I said main goal as it is OK to have other goals like grow some muscle and not become a fat mess also. If your focus is on strength have you picked a proven program or at the least a proven progression method that you will use to meet your goal. Take time to think about, How will you measure improvement ? what is your measure of strength? How strong are you now? How strong to you want to be in what period of time ?
Seems like a lot to think about right… but by having a good measure of where you currently sit and setting some simple achievable step goals, it will give you something definite to work towards and a great sense of achievement when you hit your targets. Remember strength doesn’t have to mean 1 rep maxes in squat, deadlift and bench. There is nothing wrong with having rep goals with a weight for an exercise you like or want to improve at, like dumbbell bench 25 x 10 for example or pull ups x 5 with 20kg added weight. Most if not all on here will agree that following a set program (preferable one written by someone who knows more than us about this stuff) with a proven progression model is the best way to go. What program is best for you though you may ask? The answer is: The one you will follow and give 100%. There are lots of proven programs on here and other members much more knowledgeable than I that may chose to recommend something if you wanted advice.

Great work so for and Keep up the hard work and you will achieve great things.

4 Likes

This cannot be overstated enough. Increase your everyday strength and your limit strength will follow.

2 Likes

I am limited inthe gym of equipment i have access to like no barbell etc so i do my own programs . It has worked so far so until i stall i will then look into something.
I just try to get stronger simple. And to measure progression well if i get 3 reps with a weight and i then orogress to 5 reos well there yay i progressed etc or if the weight feels lighter then it did a week ago etc.
So for now with my full body the scheme is like this
3×6-10 with a lighter weight
Then 1× ?? As many as i can with a heavier weight
Iv tried the other way around but i take ages to get warmed up like say if i do dumbell bench ×10 il barely be able to lift it but then the next set it will be alot easier then im reasy to do a heavier set which id probably fail if i didnt do the 3 sets first. I was going to do ×1 heavy set followed by three lighyer sets but i didnt like it that way.

My goal is to max out the weights in the gym. For most exercises
( they dont go that high but yeah)
For now its smith machine front squat 100kg ×10
(With all weight plates added only goes to 100)

Atm its 90 ×2
Db row 35kg ×10 atm its 35kg×3 (max dumbells is 35kg)
Dumbell standing shoulder press the 25kilos for at least ×5 atm its 20kg dumbells × 8
Flat dumbell bench 30 kg dumbells ×10 atm its 22.5kg×10
Chest strength is probably my weakest considering my shoulder strength is nearly level with it.

Also getting so strong at pullups that i can bust out a set of 10 with ease. So im doing pullups every session as well.

1 Like

Thanks! That means so much​:smiling_face::smiling_face:

And for everyone who is wondering why i started to focus on strength.
It is becausr i became so obsessed with every minor detail of my physique that is was consuming me and putting me down a dark parth of hatred towards myself because i dont have 18 inch guns and i so badly wanted them etc.now i know its a marathon not a sprint but yeah. So i was feeling super self conscious and i decided i had enough of that so i thought since i gain strength at a rate that i am happy with (unlike bicep size) i thought i i should set some mini strength goals and focus on strength and not be so obsessive over my physique.

2 Likes

I’m happy to read this. I’m 32 and just starting to let go of some of the physique pursuits. It’s been toxic. Never happy. Never satisfied. Not a good place to be.

If you haven’t already, watch Bigger Stronger Faster on Netflix. It’s a documentary that helped me realize the truth about the fitness world and it gave me a reality check (in a good way).

4 Likes

After I had been going for strength fro 6 months-ish with only doing curls simply to stop extreme tendinitis, this bodybuilder guy was measuring his biceps with a tape and I decided to do so expecting them to of shrunk from focusing on Strength. They were 17 inches on both arms perfectly equal much bigger than when I focused on size only.
My point is both strength and size come together and refocusing on something else can help.

2 Likes

So is your plan to do all those exercises (front squat, dumbell bench, dumbbell shoulder press, chins) every workout, with just a couple of warm up lighter sets and I all out set trying to beat you previous best reps with a weight ?? Maybe you could
Lay out exactly what a workout looks like, each exercise with sets, reps, weight etc. I probably sound like I am going on a bit, but having a proper workout plan that you follow consistently and log your progress will allow you to progress slowly and befor you know it you will be smashing your goals.

2 Likes

When asked the Lord gives…

1 Like

I’ve done it too since day one, it’s a great way to learn.
But remember to listen to the old guys’ advice, they have decades of experience

Another great option is using the same weight for all sets, and going really all out on the last one.
So, say you do 2x6 first and then 1x6+ (AMRAP)
Example of this from today: I had a client do 2x8 on the bench and then an amrap with the same weight, she got 10 so we will add weight to all sets for the next time. (If she got 8 or under we would stay at the same weight, if she got 9+ we would increase)

I’m not saying that your way is bad, if you feel like it works, it is the right thing to do.[quote=“duketheslaya, post:447, topic:224849”]
My goal is to max out the weights in the gym.
[/quote]

That’s the spirit!

This is one of the most beautiful things I’ve read.

2 Likes

Thanks man! I also go on feel as well. Say if im not feeling like super strong i wont go balls out like evry session and do a heavier set etc.

Full body saturday
Front squat smith machine
3×5 80 kg
1×4 90kg wtf PR
1×3 100 Kg PR WTF!!!
I was really angry today maybe adrenaline?

One arm db row
25 kg
3×10
Didnt go for pr heavier set saved it for later

Pullups 5

Db bench press
25kg dumbells
No pr set

Standing dumbell shoulder press
17.5 kg 3 sets
22.5kg Dumbells 1×2 never donethis weight before PR

2 Likes

Sorry guys have had no internet

I kind of do this with my lighter sets. I never go 100% on them but on the last lighter set il do a bit more effort then the heavier set I go 100%

1 Like

Glad you let go of some of your physique pursuits! Its definitely not good its like always wanting more but its never enough etc.

Yes i think i like strength alot more. Im happier already and i feel like my mind is cleared up

2 Likes

So say if im feeling crappy and not that strong i may not fo for a pr set. And if i do go for a pr set and say 2 weeks ago i got 4 then i wouldnt push it id just go for 3 but next time if i was feeling great and knew id be capable id do 6 reps. And i was feeling really good like today so instead of just doing 80kg 3×5
And 90 ×5 i didnt go balls out for the 90×5 set i just got 4 because i was feeling pumped with adrenaline, angry and strong so i did 100kg ×3 and i could have gotten 100kg×5 but i already got a nice pr so i left it.

That’s great, enjoying what you do is what keeps you going

1 Like