DukeTheSlaya's Journey to Overhead Pressing Like a God

you can do whatever routine you like and if you train hard enough you’ll get results, but that doesn’t make it a good routine.

All of those exercises in the routine Chris wrote are very easy to learn, with perhaps the exception of the Romanian deadlift, but even that can be learnt quite easily. Give yourself more credit - you’ll be able to work them out just fine. Besides, there’s like 10 billion instructional videos on this website alone let alone the rest of the interwebz.

It’s great that you’re educating yourself and applying what you learn, but remember that @Chris_Colucci is a published fitness author on a site where some of the most important fitness professionals in the world post articles. He’s been training people for longer than you’ve been alive.

Having said that - the best routine is the one you’ll stick to. So, with that in mind, I’ll go through your own routine now and tell you what I would change.[quote=“duketheslaya, post:13, topic:224849”]
Low row 1 set of 20 light to warmup back. Not a fan. Do some YTWLIs instead
Weighted chins 1 set 5 2nd 6 3rd.6 No. Do bodyweight instead
Smith machine bent over row. 3 sets 6 Drop this completely
Dumbell bent over row 3 sets8
Dumbell shrugs4sets8 Drop this completely
Lat pulldown two sets 12 close grip one set wide grip 10 Ditch the wide grip
Cable reverse curl 2 sets 12
2 sets ten hammer curls Choose one curl exercise and do 3 sets 8-12 reps
[/quote]

1 Like

To be fair: in another thread OP has mentioned that his gym has no free barbells, so he is using the Smith to simulate that where possible while training mostly with dumbbells and/or bodyweight.

2 Likes

I missed that

In that case smith machine is ok,but still there are a lot of things to critisize on his routine.I think Yogi did a great job at that with his post

1 Like

The reason it is weighted chinups because bodyweight exercises are to easy for me. Im not bragging but they are so hence i must add eeight to them. But maybe il just do as many chinuos in a few sets or something??
Yep il take out all the stuff you mentioned thanks yogi and what is YTWLIs
Also in regards to the smith squat does that mean just do leg press?

Ok so the pull routine is now
Ytfls??
Chinups maybe 4 sets 10 or maybe il do pullups because i suck at pullups but cjinups are easy.
Dumbell bent over row 4 sets 8
Lat pulldown 3 sets of 12 or just two.
3 sets 8-12 reps hammer curls.

I like hard intense training sessions. I think this session will be over really quickly and il end up bored it needs one more exercise i think. I like to train for an hour idk the gym just relieves stress what exercise to be added??

And now legs is
2 set farmer walk.
4 sets 20 goblet squat
Leg press 4 sets 18-20
Leg extension 4 sets of 18-20
4 sets 12 leg curl.
Walking lunges
Abbs training.

Ok thanks i think i will make some solid gains. The gains you see in the photo is from random gym so like just going and doing anything so now eventho my program is random i will follow it for 3 months and see how much gains! Thanks

If you want to relieve stress just do random stuff for an hour. If you want lengthy sessions just do a full body routine or a 2 day split (both if which will increase the frequency…)

I think your doing to much volume, which is fine if you like lengthy sessions, but unnecessary. Lunges after 12 sets of quad heavy exercises @ 20 reps per set? (240 reps++)

If you insist on doing a leg day then get to know the muscles involved (I believe you have calves as well?), and find out the least amount of exercises you need to work them. Start with one exercise per muscle per session. Try it out, and then do changes when it’s necessary.

I don’t see any rear delt exercise in your pulling routine.

1 Like

Well i do a set for rear delts on the push day as dumbell shoulder press does work them a little so i finish them off with some rear delt work.
Lol yes i should do some calf work and i dont like leg day but training legs is necessary so hence the high volume for legs because they arent getting ttained till oje week later.
My goal isnt to purely relieve stress its to build muscle.
Im just saying that working out does relieve stress. @julenissen

Just a question: you said you get teased because of your physique, but you look like a pretty normal Aussie teenager to me, at least around here in Canberra. Where are you? The only scenario I can see you being abnormally small for your age would be if you went to school where most kids are islanders or all playing first grade football and realistically looking at an NRL career.

Also, if you’re really concerned about your physique sign up to a footy side. You’ll toughen up, you’ll make some friends and chances are you’ll get given some vaguely decent programming. You’d probably play in the halves or fullback.

What you’re doing currently stinks about as much as your attitude - although luckily it seems like you’re making some kind of effort to pull your head out of your backside.

Pick a squat, a hinge, a pull and a push. Train all of them three days a week. Add weight or reps every week. Ditch all the other junk because it’s waste of time.

Squats: squat, front squat, zercher squat, landmine squat
Hinge: deadlift, Romanian deadlift, deadlift off pins, snatch grip deadlift, deficit deadlift
Push: military press, bench press, incline press, any of those with dumbbells, dips, landmine press
Pull: barbell row, dumbbell row, T-bar row, chest supported row, pull-ups

Your best bet is to work up to a top set of five reps that makes you strain and then do two or three more sets with a lighter weight for 10 to 15 reps each. So that for each movement three days a week. Rotate the order every day. Add 2.5 kg or two reps every week. Every twelve weeks pick a new set of exercises from that list and repeat.

Pay attention to technique.

2 Likes

Cant do deadlifts theres no barbell?
Theres dumbells but they only go up to 35 kilos each?
@MarkKO
Is there any deadlift i could do on the smith machine iv tried but i just cant deadlift on it

Nah i just get teases because i go to the gym and they expect me to look like arnold Schwarzenegger yet they are all skinny pricks that have no muscle.
Also im in Wa dude

Also what sort of squat for the smich machine.
I live in a small town with one gym and it sucks but i gotta make use with what iv got.
I can only do smith machine squats atm and i dont like how it makes my back feel and i hate the fix range of motion. It never feels right

Hmmmm. This requires some imagination. You could do DB deadlifts but I’m not sure for how long 70 kg would be heavy enough. You can certainly do Smith machine squats, Paul Carter has a piece in here about that. You could do DB swings in lieu of a DL, starting at around 10 kg would be fine.

Do you have a sizeable garden or oval near where you live? If you do, and if you can get your parents to help you if you could get your hands on a decent size truck tyre you could flip it. I’m guessing if you’re in country WA truck tyres shouldn’t be too hard to come by.

1 Like

yeah the gyms right near an oval but i dont know where to put the tyre lol the gyms to small so thats outta the question
Youd recommend swings? Theres kettlebells so i can do that for a while i suppose.

How can i implement the training so i dont overtrain.
I like the push pull legs split i made because it works in terms of recovery but some of the exercises however as youv said are probably a waste of time.
What should i use instead for the push workouts,pull workouts and what can i substitute?

Training squats, rows etc teee days a week im pretty sure il be sore so itl do more harm than good.
But with the push pull legs split legs training is once per week and the weeks alternate so im getting adequate recovery so one week its two push and one pull. And always one legs.
I really hate legs training honestly so theres one day.

Also, if you’re that limited in equipment, you could get away with doing split squats holding DBs. They’ll definitely add leg size, and you’d take a while to get to the point where high reps with 35 kg DBs would not be challenging.

Let’s say all you have to work with are DBs up to 35 kg and a Smith machine. Here’s what you could do.

• Squat variation: rear foot elevated split squats, goal of 10 reps per leg holding 35 kg per hand
  • DL variation: DB swings instead of kettlebell swings (unless your gym has kbs going from 10 kg up). Goal of 15 reps holding either one 35 kg DB or two 20 kg DBs
  • push variation: either flat or incline DB bench, goal of 10 reps with your bodyweight in total or 35 kg per hand, whichever is lower OR standing military press 10 reps with 25 kg DBs in each hand
  • pull variation: single arm DB row 25 reps each arm with 35 lbs, no straps

Work towards these goals. Do all exercises listed three to four times a week, changing the order each time.

Your best bet in terms of progression is to pick a weight you can handle for a hard set of eight for the split squat and press and add weight when you can do 10 reps. Follow that hard set with a couple of lighter sets for 10-15 reps for the split squat and 50 total reps of dips for the push. For the swings do the same as split squat except the hard set should start at 12 and add weight when you hit 15. For the rows pick a weight you can hit for a hard set of 20 and add weight when you can hit 25 reps. Follow that up with 50 total reps of pull-ups.

The only thing to remember is only count the hard rep target when that is for the first exercise of the day. When you do the hard set for the second to fourth exercise, just do what you can and don’t worry if you don’t set a rep PR.

Example:

Monday
Split squat 20 kg/hand x 9, 10 kg/hand x2x13
DB incline bench 15 kg/hand x 7, dips 15, 15, 10, 10
DB row 25 kg x 16, pull-ups 15, 10, 10, 10, 5
DB swing 15 kg x9, 10 kg x2x12

Wednesday
DB swing 15 kg x 14, 10 kg x2x15
Split squat 20 kg/hand x 7, 10 kg/hand x2x12
DB incline bench 15 kg/hand x 7, dips 20, 10, 10, 10
DB row 25 kg x 17, pull-ups 10, 10, 10, 10, 10

Friday
DB row 25 kg/hand x 22, pull-ups 15, 10, 10, 10, 5
DB swing 15 kg x 10, 10 kg x2x13
Split squat 20 kg/hand x8, 10 kg/hand x2x10
DB incline bench 15 kg/hand x6, dips 10, 10, 10 10 10

Monday
DB incline bench 15 kg/hand x9, dips 20, 15, 10, 5
DB row 25 kg/hand x 18, pull-ups 15, 10, 10, 10, 5
DB swing 15 kg x 10, 10 kg x2x13
Split squat 20 kg/hand x8, 10 kg/hand x2x10

So you see on every first exercise you’re moving past your minimum reps towards the benchmark for an increase in weight, but for the other three you’re just putting in some work.

Make sense?

3 Likes

Do what I suggested. You won’t overtrain, trust me on this.

Not after a short adjustment period you won’t.

Suck it up and work, because that’s what gets results. You’ll be sore for maybe two weeks whole your body adjusts but as long as you’re eating plenty you’ll quickly adapt and just keep growing.

2 Likes

Cant train Wednesdays o but i could discuss with my mum about sundays but then itd have to be sundays tuesdays thursdays.
This looks very difficult but i will attempt.
Bulgarian split squats i dont even know how to do or one arm dumbell rows they are very tricky.
This is going to take me allday to reread understand for me it is very complex

1 Like

Honestly, whatever days you can do are the best days to train. Even if you do two back to back days you’ll be fine. Just get in those three days per week.

It isn’t very difficult. It’ll be challenging, but that’s the whole point: you need to work hard to progress.

Split squats are a lift with a pretty decent learning curve: do them three times a week and within a couple of weeks your balance will be sweet and it’ll just be a matter of adding weight. Single arm DB rows aren’t too bad. You’re probably better off doing them standing and leaning your non-working hand on a bench or rack like so

I’ll set it out a bit better, since what I put down was just an example of how it rotates.

1. Progression scheme

Split squat: start with a weight you can use to do 8 hard reps per leg. Use that until you can do 10 hard reps per leg. When you can do 10 hard reps add 2.5 kg per hand and go back to 8 reps until you can do 10, and so on. After the hard set use a lighter weight to do 2 more sets of 10-15 reps.

KB swings: start with a weight you can use to do 12 hard reps. Use that until you can do 15 hard reps. When you can do 15 hard reps go up 5 kg (or 4 kg if that’s the bell weight) and start back at 12 reps. After the hard set use a lighter weight to do 2 more sets of 15 reps.

Push: start with a weight you can use to do 8 hard reps. When you can do 10 hard reps add 2.5 kg per hand and go back to 8 reps, etc. After the hard reps, do 50 total reps of dips. Don’t add weight to the dips until you can do all the reps in two sets.

DB row: pick a weight you can use to do 20 hard reps. When you can do 25 hard reps add 5 kg and start back at 20 reps. Follow these with 50 reps of pull-ups. Don’t add weight to the pull-ups until you’re knocking out one set of 15 at least.

1. Exercise order

Each day start with a different exercise. That is the only exercise you aim to progress that day (add reps on the hard set).

The other three exercises you still do, but you don’t worry about how many reps you get on the hard set. You can even use a little less weight on the hard set if you’re feeling beat up, or do only two sets per exercise or fewer pull-ups or dips. This isn’t a license to slack off: be honest with yourself - did you really bust your arse on your first exercise or do you just not feel like doing the work on the other three? That happens to everyone, the divider between success and failure is realising when you just don’t feel like working and doing the work anyway.

1. Recording

Get an exercise book. Before you even enter the gym write out what work you will do that day. Write out a goal for your hard set on the first exercise. As you train, make notes about how you feel. If you do less after the first exercise, write down why.

1. What it will actually look like:

Day 1
Split squat
1x8-10/leg, goal is 10
2x10-15/leg with lighter weight

DB incline
1xwhat you can
50 total reps dips

KB swing
1xwhat you can
2x15 with less weight

DB row
1xwhat you can
50 total reps pull-ups

Day 2
DB row
1x20-25/arm, goal is 25
50 total reps pull-ups

Split squat
1xwhat you can/leg

DB incline
1xwhat you can
50 total reps dips

KB swing
1xwhat you can
2x15 with less weight

Day 3

KB swing
1x12-15, goal is 15
2x15 with less weight

DB row
1xwhat you can
50 total reps pull-ups

Split squat
1xwhat you can/leg

DB incline
1xwhat you can
50 total reps dips

Day 1, week 2

DB incline
1x8-10, goal is 10
50 total reps dips

KB swing
1xwhat you can
2x15 with less weight

DB row
1xwhat you can
50 total reps pull-ups

Split squat
1xwhat you can/leg

From here you’d go back to starting with splits squats, and so on.

2 Likes

Thanks man the split squats and rows will take a whileto get the hang of and i think il be very sore for a weeks haha but thanks

1 Like

I guess I should’ve said “separate leg day”. I meant to implement it in a full body or push/pull routine
Rear delt is for pulling.

Now start doing the routine MarkKo laid out for you (and you should since he tailored it for your needs/equipment). :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Back yourself. You’ll learn the lifts quite fast as you’ll do them often. Just remember to pick weights you can use. If in doubt, go lighter. Nothing wrong with starting light.

2 Likes