T Nation

Dubai Update

http://www.binscorner.com/view/worldfastestgrowingcity/

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
Yep, they are thinking ‘post oil’.

I’m thinking I might move there after graduation.

My dad is thinking that since all the laws are effectively decided by one man (the crown prince), that it would be a bad idea to invest there.

Bushy[/quote]

Hello mate.
Where about in Wales are you. Heh, my mother’s family are from Pembroke…

Have lived in Dubai for the last 15 years. Check this; when I first came out here, the guy I met at school - who went on to become my best mate, was his best man four years ago, godfather to his nipper etc - turns out he also came from Pembroke, just down the road from us.

Typical bloody welsh. Miserable fuckin neighbours at home but over here they wants to make it a bloody convention. So anyway, you might want to think about staying put. I’m not sure Dubai can handle three taffs…

Nah, get over here mate and ignore your dad. This place rocks, it’s a great place to live - and invest. In the words of a(half) welshman: I bloody loves it man!

Booms lead to busts. I know they are diversifying into the tourism area. Anywhere else? Any manufacturing, etc?

What will the construction workers do when the work slows?

I’ll be there tomorrow. Might head down to the York Club.

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
I’ll be there tomorrow. Might head down to the York Club.[/quote]

Lol!
The man knows his way around town, will say no more…

Hopefully, I will never visit Dubai.

Aside from the issues of living and working in a Muslim country, I think that Dubai would be quite a cool place to be, with lots of opportunity.
[/quote]

Mate, trust me. There ARE no issues.

Am not trying to sell this place, I don’t work for the tourism board, but give it a go - you won’t be disappointed.

Dubai rocks man, we are slammin 24/7. The women are from all over the world and are mindfuckinblowing.

Come see for yourself…

Oh and zap, the economics are a bit beyond me, it’s not really my thing. But apart from the (all year round)leisure and tourism industry, this place is simply establishing a whole range of free zones, financial centres to attract, well…business. Am thinking DIFC, DMCC, Dubai’s own bourse etc etc…

Plus you’ve got the real estate, which pretty much speaks for itself…

As to the construction workers, I hear that they are ‘merely immigrants’ (not my words) who live in tents out in the desert. So I’m guessing that their long term wellbeing and emplyment is not a priority to those in power in Dubai…

Bushy[/quote]

You’re right. But all expats, all of us, are immigrants - you can’t ‘get’ UAE citizenship.

But I get your point. The situation of the (specifically) construction workers from the subcontinent is one of the most talked about topics in Dubai. Their situation ranges from ‘hard work-but-actually-a-lot-better-than-back-home’ to absolutely abject…

[quote]beebuddy wrote:
Hopefully, I will never visit Dubai. [/quote]

yeah hopefully…

[quote]red bull wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:

Lol!

[/quote]

I think it is a riot to watch the tourists get plucked by the hookers.
Is Zinc still a good club to go to?

[quote]jp_dubya wrote:
red bull wrote:
jp_dubya wrote:

Lol!

I think it is a riot to watch the tourists get plucked by the hookers.
Is Zinc still a good club to go to?[/quote]

Heh! Well I’m not sure who is doing the plucking, I mean the tourists are hardly unsuspecting. Although yeah, I must admit - sometimes on a bad day you do need a crowbar to fend them off…

Yeah, Zinc is still top 10. Where else do you normally go?

I have been there twice. It’s a very nice place. It’s the kind of place that has something for everyone, whether you are pretty poor or the richest guy on earth.

However I have a feeling it is going to get very expensive very fast.

How much do you think a trip from the states would cost? Nothing crazy, just a normal hotel, some parting and site seeing? I love to travel and dubai is definitely on the top of my list.

[quote]red bull wrote:
You’re right. But all expats, all of us, are immigrants - you can’t ‘get’ UAE citizenship.

But I get your point. The situation of the (specifically) construction workers from the subcontinent is one of the most talked about topics in Dubai. Their situation ranges from ‘hard work-but-actually-a-lot-better-than-back-home’ to absolutely abject…

[/quote]

The hierarchy in Dubai (and Arab countries in general):

1. Arabs.
  2. Whites.
  3. Indians.
  4. Other Asian ethnicities.
  5. Blacks.

Dubai is shite quite frankly, they stuff 15 immigrants into a tiny flat, take away their passports and work them to the point where a visible percentage of these workers commit suicide.

Rant over.