Drug Testing in Powerlifting

The fact that Jesse is also going to doing a USPA meet in August is also another red flag for him to continue lifting in the USAPL

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]TB284 wrote:
My understanding is that IPF has a rule that if you compete in out-of-fed competition (RUM in Jesse’s case), you’re banned from IPF competition for one year. Local affiliates aren’t included in that, so USAPL is still open to him.[/quote]

I’d never heard of that one. We have a number of members who compete in several federations. The only caveat is that they have to ensure there are no suspended lifters also competing.[/quote]

I think National Affiliates aren’t included in that either, that’s why CPU doesn’t have that rule. Or does it? I haven’t competed in CPU yet.

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]TB284 wrote:
My understanding is that IPF has a rule that if you compete in out-of-fed competition (RUM in Jesse’s case), you’re banned from IPF competition for one year. Local affiliates aren’t included in that, so USAPL is still open to him.[/quote]

I’d never heard of that one. We have a number of members who compete in several federations. The only caveat is that they have to ensure there are no suspended lifters also competing.[/quote]

I think National Affiliates aren’t included in that either, that’s why CPU doesn’t have that rule. Or does it? I haven’t competed in CPU yet.
[/quote]

I can think of a number of people who compete both cpu and 100% raw. There is a lot of crossover particularly in Alberta. There doesn’t seem to be as much cpu and cpf crossover though. Having said that, when I did my first nationals I got an awesome cpu coach from Newfoundland courtesy of a cpf connection in Ontario.

This is all to say it is just based on whether there are suspended lifters competing.

What’s keeping you from competing cpu?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]TB284 wrote:

[/quote]

I can think of a number of people who compete both cpu and 100% raw. There is a lot of crossover particularly in Alberta. There doesn’t seem to be as much cpu and cpf crossover though. Having said that, when I did my first nationals I got an awesome cpu coach from Newfoundland courtesy of a cpf connection in Ontario.

This is all to say it is just based on whether there are suspended lifters competing.

[/quote]

Oh nothing, I wanted to compete in the spring and the first available meets I could do were both CPF. Probably will do the Ottawa Fall Open with the CPU, I think that’s in September/October.

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]TB284 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh nothing, I wanted to compete in the spring and the first available meets I could do were both CPF. Probably will do the Ottawa Fall Open with the CPU, I think that’s in September/October.[/quote]

That one is full but there is one in August in Arnprior hosted by Ultimate Fitness and should be good http://ontariopowerlifting.org/UF%20Open%202015.html

Flipcollar: could not agree with you more.
Currently there are 310 KNOWN anabolic and anabolic derivitives out in existance.
Then you have all the masking drugs that are known.
Only one sport tests for them all … sport of kings, Horse Racing.
Costs about $75,000 per horse to test for all 310 aformentioned anabolics.

So with those statistics, does anyone really think Jesse Norris is “clean” ?

Yes, you do have the occational outliere, but when something is soo far out there…the questions will always emerge.

Oh, and if you want to use…Please feel free.
Just compete in a fed that does not test.
Leave the tested feds to the ones who will never use.

Have that amount of respect for the rest of us…

[quote]amayakyrol wrote:
We take drug testing seriously…Jessie Norris totals a WR in a tested meet…lmao okay then[/quote]

What this guy said.

Also, I just wanted to mention that the possibility of an IPF lifter being banned for using weed is dumb as shit. It’s like they’re trying to be some sort of police assistance force. If it doesn’t aid your performance, PL federations shouldn’t give a shit.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]Haldor wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]TB284 wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh nothing, I wanted to compete in the spring and the first available meets I could do were both CPF. Probably will do the Ottawa Fall Open with the CPU, I think that’s in September/October.[/quote]

That one is full but there is one in August in Arnprior hosted by Ultimate Fitness and should be good http://ontariopowerlifting.org/UF%20Open%202015.html
[/quote]

Jeez, full 5 months in advance? August is too early for me, I’d like at least 3 months of training before my next meet, but I’ll be e-mailing the CPU for more info on meets around that time.

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:
Also, I just wanted to mention that the possibility of an IPF lifter being banned for using weed is dumb as shit. It’s like they’re trying to be some sort of police assistance force. If it doesn’t aid your performance, PL federations shouldn’t give a shit.[/quote]

No, they shouldn’t, but if the federation wants to stick to the WADA rules or whatever, and you want to lift in that federation, comply or lift somewhere else. Change the rules from within if it’s important to you.

And btw, weed is a performance enhancing drug for me. Bow chicka bow wow.

[quote]Be_Sound wrote:

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:
Also, I just wanted to mention that the possibility of an IPF lifter being banned for using weed is dumb as shit. It’s like they’re trying to be some sort of police assistance force. If it doesn’t aid your performance, PL federations shouldn’t give a shit.[/quote]

No, they shouldn’t, but if the federation wants to stick to the WADA rules or whatever, and you want to lift in that federation, comply or lift somewhere else. Change the rules from within if it’s important to you.

And btw, weed is a performance enhancing drug for me. Bow chicka bow wow.[/quote]

Exactly, change the rules from within. I hear so much crying and whining about what rules should be and how they should be administered but see only a fraction of those people do anything to affect change.

[quote]DaneMuscle wrote:

It isn’t the IPF that makes this call. This is a WADA rule, so it applies to every sport that follows WADA rules. The IPF certainly doesn’t have the influence to change this even if they wanted to.

This is how pretty much ALL the federations started after the AAU debacle of the late '70s. They didnt like what was going down, so people started to form their on Feds.

With the IPF, yeah, conforming to WADA rules still will not get changed from the inside…

As far as the IPF is concerned regarding other Feds, it is in regards to others World Championships. I don’t know why, but they really don’t like it. Thus the 1yr ban.

The drug testing issue in the CPU/IPF, is the federations attempt to become IOC accepted. Sure it may be dumb to some of us, to suspend a lifter for weed, or a pre workout supplement, but these are the rules we agree to when we get a membership.

As for anyone being on or not. My position is you’re clean until you aren’t. Anything else is just gossip.

Don’t take my word for it, but I think according to WADA weed - among alcohol - is only prohibited during competition. Being hungover or having traces of weed in your body shouldn’t be a problem.

[quote]JonneKytola wrote:
Don’t take my word for it, but I think according to WADA weed - among alcohol - is only prohibited during competition. Being hungover or having traces of weed in your body shouldn’t be a problem.[/quote]

We had a lifter suspended for a year (if I recall correctly) for weed in his system after a fun jamaica vacation. WADA testing.

With strict rules like these you would think there was money in powerlifting…or at least in the Olympics.

That being said I don’t agree with lifters using PED’s competing against natural users. I used to run meets where we had tested and untested divisions and it would piss me off when I popped someone in the tested division. I had to take back the trophies of an entire Christian lifting team as they all tested positive…they had the crosses on their singlets and all…clearly God didn’t help them cheat that day :wink: