T Nation

Drops from a Box After Squats?

Today i was doing squats in the 3-5 rep range. After my squats i had dips. So i'm on the dip station which is somewhat elevated. Instead of putting my feet down on the side steps and then going down i decide to hop down by swinging my legs up and letting go.

Soon after landing, i feel this incredible soreness in the middle and side of my quads . It lasted 10 seconds. I guess by de-accerelating quickly (or else i'd be flat on the ground) after hitting the ground, the muscle contract very strongly.

Anyway i have never heard of this before and i think jumping down from a box with a weight vest on after some ball busting squats would probably give some interesting results.

I think this would be equivalent to training your obliques by moving on a object (squats) or by trying try to resist rotation (dropping down from box).

Anyone ever done or heard of this?

known as depth jumps, advanced plyometric exercise, considered to be very high stress, weighted ones only recommended for advanced trainees

Do you know of any programs that incorporate this? I’ve heard of the depth jumps but i thought it was basically just jumping on a box and when you jump down you must immediately jump back up.

what you did is a “depth drop”, not depth jump… but anyway, doing drops after heavy lifting can have you possibly recruiting more motor units than you would normally during a drop… or if there is alot of fatigue from the squatting, it’s going to be a much more intense landing than normal, and this is not a good idea, since you can damage joint articular surface/tendons etc if the muscles are not firing properly (this is of course if you do a pretty big drop, not some micky mouse drop).

anyway, drops cause a very sharp eccentric contraction… drops themselves can lead to some pretty impressive soreness… ive gotten extremely sore doing lunge drops from ~30+" boxes… glutes/hamstrings get murdered.

kellyb’s vertical jump bible has you doing drops after heavy lifting, in a certain phase of the program… there are plenty of programs which utilize drops or depth jumps after lifting, these are all performance oriented routines though…

peace

edit: btw, depth jumps are when you “fall off the box”, not jump off, then upon ground contact, try and jump as high as possible… thats the truest form of DJ… other forms are what you mention, dropping off box + jumping over hurdle or onto box, these have much lower ground contact times and don’t allow you to put out max rfd.

Thanks