T Nation

Dropping from 120mg to 60mg Weekly?

I am currently on 120mg weekly, which I have split into 40mg MWF. I looked threw some of my old medical records and found I was originally prescribed 60mg weekly (I did not realize I was on such a low dose). However, I do remember the first time I was on TRT that dosage working pretty well for me. Should I consider dropping down again to 60mg weekly and seeing how things go again? Is this an acceptable TRT dosage? I am struggling with acne currently. Thanks!

Do whatever works IMO, but very few people get symptom relief at 60mg/week. If it worked for you before and what you’re doing now isn’t working (and has been stable long enough to give it a chance to work) then I say… why not try it?

What issues are you having?

Skin related side effects. Mainly acne and the appearance of red dots which have been linked to estrogen dominance. I feel pretty good on this dosage but I am a believer of minimizing side effects and using the lowest dosage to get rid of symptoms. Trying to fine tune my regimen but may just accept it for what it is. Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

I might try to lower for around a month and see what happens. If that experiment does not go well, I will just keep this routine and accept the benefits and minor negatives.

How were you taking the 60mg/week? Once? Twice?

There is another thread on here about a gentleman taking 35mg a week total, and is getting his best results.

How was your libido on 60mg compared to now?

How can you say this when very few people start that low. Maybe if they did…

2 Likes

What works for one guy with cause another misery. You might be one of those few who don’t need much testosterone. I was on 80mg weekly and after 2 weeks Total T was at 640 ng/dL, so now I’m on 40mg weekly (10mg EOD) and so far erections are slowly coming back and I feel better.

It is very possible that 60mg per week was enough for you. Most do best on 50mg twice per week. You could try both and see which is better for you.

I cannot remember as it was a while back. I will just keep experimenting until I find my optimal dosage. For me, I always try lowest dosage that can get rid of symptoms. More definitely isn’t better with this treatment, however I do best currently at 40mg MWF dosing schedule for a total of 120mg.

I think things can be improved but i’d be happy if this is the best I can get – it’s pretty good. I’ll slowly dial down over the next 1-2 months and see if I can benefit from my formerly prescribed dosage.

There is no evidence for that. “Most” get their test from a provider doing once a week or once every two week shots of closer to 200 and have never experimented or changed. Don’t pull a Systemlord.

5 Likes

Yeah, ironically i haven’t felt well on 50mg twice a week for a total of 100mg. It just doesn’t seem like it’s enough. Where I get benefit is around 120mg per week. My theory is that a lot of symptom resolution depends on a balance between estrogen and testosterone. I am lowering my dosage to see if I can find a different sweet spot.

Having been on and off TRT for years, I can say there is incredible benefit to being on it rather than off. The full benefit takes some experimenting to find I believe. Like many on this forum, we are in a sense self medicating under the assistance of medical supervision. I think that is the approach to getting dialed in. I know it is possible to get perfectly dialed in, when I could afford an expensive doctor in the past I’d never felt so good.

My plan of action is to lower the t dosage, then maybe add in a little HCG. Want to avoid AI’s likely most people on the forum.

Some acne is par for the course with testosterone. I never had any acne until TRT and now there are times where I have acne all over my back. You can minimize it to an extent using the right soaps, exfoliating and hydrating the skin. The first 6 months or so I had much worse acne than I do now.

Adding HCG is likely to compound your issues rather than eliminate them. It will be a good learning experience for you though.

I had some bad acne on trt near the beginning, which I blamed on everything except what it actually was: my diet. I cut out 90% of the sugar and high fructose corn syrup, and no more acne.

1 Like

You should do whatever works best for you. There really is no “acceptable” dose. While very few guys on TRT use a dose as low as yours, if it works for you, go with it. I do think, with a dose this low, it’s a good idea to split it up.

I’ll be experimenting and updating everyone. Thanks for the advice and replies – as always.

Anyone get greasy skin on TRT btw?

Yep.

"Testosterone belongs to a class of male sex hormones called androgens, which can trigger acne by over-stimulating oil glands. They can also change the skin cells that line hair follicles, making them sticky and more likely to clog pores.

Here’s how it works: Tiny glands are inside the pores of your skin, and they produce an oil called “sebum.” Sebum carries dead skin cells from follicles to your skin’s surface, but when there is too much of it, follicles become clogged and pimples can emerge. Testosterone increases the production of sebum, making it a prime acne culprit."

What were the red dots like and where? I always noticed little pin dots on my upper abdomen and sternum when I changed dosage.

Those are exactly what I got! 100% man. They are related to hormonal changes and often estrogen dominance. When I wasn’t dialed in properly, they started popping up like crazy. Since lowering my dosage (from 150mg weekly to 120mg weekly), they are started to appear less and less. Btw, they are called cherry angiomas or campbell de morgan spots

I did when I started my protocol at 120mg/week. It went away after about 4-6 weeks. Or I just got used to it? I’ve upped my dose a couple times since and each time I get an acne flare up which goes away after 2-3 weeks.

Occasionally I’ll get a little acne here and there. It’s only shown up on my back and chest. And usually only shows up when I let my diet get sloppy.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by your diet getting sloppy? Maybe I can eat cleaner to improve my skin related side efffects.