Dropping Fat or Building Mass?

Hi all,

So I’ve been trying to do all the reading that I can to get started and I “think” I’m close to Stage 3 in Chris’s article.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/most_recent/the_4_stages_of_mental_mastery

Here’s my info:

almost 6’2"
230 lbs
no idea about body fat (it’s not low though)
according to BMI I’m Obese!

my lower body is very strong… upper is struggling though

My question is do I drop the fat and build back up the weight or start trying to build mass from this point?

Thanks

For a unconditioned beginner, you can do both at the same time. I am guessing from your BMI being obese (and assuming you are not muscle) you need to just get in shape and lift weights and some cardio. After a few months, you can worry about other things.

If I where you I wouldnt focus on Either right now just get a good training program and a good Diet and Get to work you will see some fat loss and muscle gain with your size right of the get go! I sugest as a workout program “Starting Strenth” Read it and do it! And as a diet “The T-Dawg” Is a good diet to start with or Maby even look into the Anabolic Diet if you want to get the Muscles Growing! Qeep Reading then Get to Work!

Good Luck

[quote] Fletchlives wrote:
My question is do I drop the fat and build back up the weight or start trying to build mass from this point?

Thanks[/quote]

Pardigm is on point. Do both.

Eat healthy, and lift heavy.

For a diet, I recommend the T-dawg Diet 2.0.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=473067
For program, I recommend Rippetoe’s Starting Strength

Focus on making sure your eating is healthy and your lifts are going up. Don’t worry about scale weight. It’ll fluctuate, but over the long haul (the next 2-3 months if you do it well) the trend will be for you to drop fat and gain muscle.

I also recommend starting a log in the log forum for you to track your diet.

Post in this forum if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Awesome guy thanks!

Thanks for the links Otep!