T Nation

Dropping a Couple of Inches

Wasn't sure where to post this, but oh well.

I'm on a bulk-type diet right now, but I'm doing it a little differently than last time. Last year, I put a few unwanted inches on my waist. I went from a 32" to a 35". I'd like to get back down to a 32" by June.

I'm a football player and I compete in powerlifitng, so whatever I do, it can't effect my strength that much. I wouldn't mind losing a few pounds, but I'm still trying to gain weight. Currently, I'm 190 lbs. at 5'7". I currently run a Westside-style template, lifting four days a week. Here's what I was thinking (kind of going along with Kroc's article a while ago):

Sunday - DE Bench
Monday - fasted cardio, 30 minutes treadmill
Tuesday - ME Lower
Wednesday - fasted cardio, 30 minutes treadmill
Thursday - ME Upper
Friday - fasted cardio, 30 minutes treadmill
Saturday - DE Lower

Nothing too extreme. I'm looking to put on another 15 lbs. in the next 5-6 months, and I think it'd be doable with the above mentioned protocol and watching my carbs a bit more closely.

I don't think it's one of those "I-want-to-be-ripped-and-jacked" type of things, but if it is, let me know and I'll try and adjust it. Any criticism is invited.

CS

Hard to lose inches on your waist and gain 15 pounds...

Try a Paleo/Primal Blueprint style diet except for peri-workout.

I would throw in 50-100 grams of carbs in around your workouts depending on how well you handle them.

I have also read good things about the anabolic diet but have not tried it myself as of yet.

Your not going to be able to gain 15 pounds of muscle and lose fat at the same time. You need a calorie deficit to produce those results. Cheers to getting your waist leaner, I'm sure you body will thank you.

Alright, thanks, guys. I was pretty sure that I was going to be told that. I guess it's not really an option right now considering I'm training for a meet in April, as we speak. However, when I start speed training in April, always tend to lean out a bit due to the high intensity shit. Thanks for all your help.

CS

I agree with tech-junkie. I don't think you can gain weight and maintain or shrink your waist at the same time. To shrink your waist and at least maintain your weight i would use carb cycling. It has worked for me. When my waist gets above 33 inches, I eat high carb on the days I workout and low carb/moderate fat on my off days. This will keep your waist in check and help your insulin sensitivity on your workout days.

That actually seems a lot more practical. Thanks for the suggestion.

CS