Dropping 5 lbs for a Competition

Hi all,

I’m competing in a powerlifting competition on September 8th and need to drop 4-5 lbs to be able to compete with the 163s instead of getting demolished by the 181s. It is an IPF sanctioned meet so it’s a two hour weigh in at 8:0am with lifting starting at 10:00am. I’ve read this (That Page has Moved or Is No Longer Available | USA Powerlifting MARYLAND), but people seem drop about 10 lbs running that when I only need to drop half that. I do have a steam shower at my house so if I do need to sweat out some weight, I can do it

Thanks for reading!

5lbs…take a dump and go carbless til day off comp, then carb load day of comp.

[quote]gurbob wrote:
5lbs…take a dump and go carbless til day off comp, then carb load day of comp.
[/quote]

He only has 2 hours to weigh in its a same day weigh. So that’s out

Afternoon before, start to drink water until you start pissing, then shut down your water. I can drop 3lbs or more, and I lift in the same weight class.

You will probably drop a couple of lbs just before from nerves anyway, so you should be good.

Good luck

[quote]tchahal wrote:
Hi all,

I’m competing in a powerlifting competition on September 8th and need to drop 4-5 lbs to be able to compete with the 163s instead of getting demolished by the 181s. It is an IPF sanctioned meet so it’s a two hour weigh in at 8:0am with lifting starting at 10:00am. I’ve read this (That Page has Moved or Is No Longer Available | USA Powerlifting MARYLAND), but people seem drop about 10 lbs running that when I only need to drop half that. I do have a steam shower at my house so if I do need to sweat out some weight, I can do it

Thanks for reading![/quote]

If you are not going to get tested, use a mild pharmaceutical diuretic. Easiest way out.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]tchahal wrote:
Hi all,

If you are not going to get tested, use a mild pharmaceutical diuretic. Easiest way out.[/quote]

IPF is a tested federation.

Edit

You should start dialing back your carbs now and start drinking progressively more water every day till your at about a gallon 3 days out…cut out sugars and salty foods. Check your weight 2 days out…you may find your already there and comfortable. If not, drink a gallon of distilled water the afternoon before and then shut down all water consumption. You should easily make weight. After weigh in replenish as outlined on the site you researched. 5lbs is not that tough this far out if you start slow.

Thanks all,

I’m going to drink 1-2 gallons of water until about 3PM on Saturday. Hopefully I’ll be at or under 163 before going to sleep, if not I’ll just take a very hot bath.

Thanks again for your help!

You should make it easily using that water manipulation method. Remember as soon as you weigh in to rehydrate. Start with water and then move to Gatorade after that.

Once your sure that is all staying down get some food down, making sure to eat things that you normally do along with more liquids. If you follow this you should have regained most if not all of the 5 pounds before you start lifting. Make sure to continue to drink plenty of water, Gatorade and or pedialyte as well as eating during the meet.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]tchahal wrote:
Hi all,

If you are not going to get tested, use a mild pharmaceutical diuretic. Easiest way out.[/quote]

[/quote]Yeah, but is he going to get tested? Unless it is at least a national meet, I don’t see it happening.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]tchahal wrote:
Hi all,

[/quote]Yeah, but is he going to get tested? Unless it is at least a national meet, I don’t see it happening.
[/quote]

Possibly not but you never know who reads these forums. There may be Provincial executive members who may suggest that testing is done at that meet if they see that people may possibly used banned substances because they can beat the odds.

My advice is be careful what you post because you really don’t know who is reading.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

My advice is be careful what you post because you really don’t know who is reading.
[/quote]

My advice is play by the fucking rules and don’t use shit in a tested fed, there are plenty untested feds out there to lift in if that’s your thing. It’s 5 damn pounds, do we really need banned shit for that?

Cheers.

[quote]FotoStorm wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

My advice is play by the fucking rules and don’t use shit in a tested fed, there are plenty untested feds out there to lift in if that’s your thing. It’s 5 damn pounds, do we really need banned shit for that?

Cheers.[/quote]

Exactly. I would have thought that part went without saying.

I just thought I wouldn’t get into a rant about how much that suggestion pissed me off. Now I will. I run and am involved in running IPF meets in my province. I’m also part of the executive.

The cheerful suggestion that someone should disregard the rules and think they should play outside them because they likely won’t get caught is the lowest form of sportsmanship. The suggestion didn’t come from the OP but another person so I won’t paint him with that brush.

My warning was to the OP that you don’t know who is reading what you post so don’t think you’re anonymous. You’re not.

Being in the middle of a weight cut to get to a lighter weight class by cutting carbs for my own meet, I’m somewhat pissy by the recommendation.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]FotoStorm wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

Cheers.[/quote]

I just thought I wouldn’t get into a rant about how much that suggestion pissed me off. Now I will. I run and am involved in running IPF meets in my province. I’m also part of the executive.

The cheerful suggestion that someone should disregard the rules and think they should play outside them because they likely won’t get caught is the lowest form of sportsmanship. The suggestion didn’t come from the OP but another person so I won’t paint him with that brush.

My warning was to the OP that you don’t know who is reading what you post so don’t think you’re anonymous. You’re not.

Being in the middle of a weight cut to get to a lighter weight class by cutting carbs for my own meet, I’m somewhat pissy by the recommendation.
[/quote]

Go tell that to Ed Coan, or to precise, every goddamn serious powerlifter in IPF. We are hiding behind our fingers here; WHETHER OR NOT THE FEDERATION IS TESTED, THE TOP 5 ARE ALWAYS USING BANNED SUBSTANCES. End of the fucking story.

I could be wrong, but I’m seeing in the IPF testing protocol that they do targeted testing, aka they test the top 5 more often than the average lifter. Saying “ALWAYS” is a little bit much imo.

I have nothing against anyone taking anything, from a mild diuretic to juicing your brains out, but why compete in a fed that has rules against it if that’s the route you want to take?

What kind of idiot are you to even attempt to estimate who’s on or off in the IPF.

Go tell that to the top 5 in the IPF that get tested in and out of comps that they are on. See how that goes Dickhead.
They are clean until they get caught.

Also in regard to your recommendation to the OP, why don’t you take an Enema. You’re full of shit and need a clean out.

[quote]niksamaras wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]FotoStorm wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[/quote]

Cheers.[/quote]

[/quote]

Go tell that to Ed Coan, or to precise, every goddamn serious powerlifter in IPF. We are hiding behind our fingers here; WHETHER OR NOT THE FEDERATION IS TESTED, THE TOP 5 ARE ALWAYS USING BANNED SUBSTANCES. End of the fucking story.[/quote]

That you think we are hiding behind our fingers is immaterial. We are a tested federation and to advise a novice lifter that he try to fly under the radar is irresponsible advice.

We test at open meets and have a list of lifters who have tested positive for a variety of substances. It would be a shame to see the OPs same among those on that list because of poor advice. To think that new lifters aren’t tested is naive. They are.

Advising someone to break the rules of a fed is just a sign of poor character. Especially when so many options exist for competing in untested feds.

In terms of the top lifters all using, I am curious where this information comes from. The IPF system is not perfect, no doubt. But are you highly connected in the IPF, Nicsamaras? I have some knowledge of anti-doping in USAPL and have helped with drug testing and even done an OMT unannounced on a female who made the US world team. I can attest to the fact that new lifters who move any serious weight OFTEN get tested even at local meets in my area.

And Ouroboro is absolutely right that you never know who is reading or listening. Let’s just say that I overheard a conversation once in the audience of a PL meet. I am sure a scrawny-ass middle-age woman like myself looks innocuous enough. But it won’t bode well for the lifter in the future.