T Nation

Drop and Catch

Hi ct, i wanna know where i can find information about the drop and catch. If u can give me some it will be really appreciated.

Thanks for your quick answer and what you do for us!!

how do you do a drop and catch chin up ??

they probably fit in the speed strength spectrum i’d reckon and are great for force absorption as well as teaching your muscles the ability to relax and contract in an instant…and depending on where you catch the falling load, it can help strengthen our weakest range of motion

Well if you do a site search you will find some info about it since I wrote about them in a few articles.

It basically is a plymometric method that can be used with regular lifting exercises. It works mostly by “teaching” the body to recruit more fast twitch fibers. When you are catching a load the muscles must contract at a faster rate than during any other form of muscular action which will not only lead to a greater fast twitch muscle fiber activation but also because it is a reflexive contraction it will in fact use a reversed recruitment pattern (FT fibers recruited before ST fibers). When done over time this will program the body to rely more on the FT fibers during muscular contractions which will increase both strength and size potential in the future.

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
how do you do a drop and catch chin up ??[/quote]

FIRST… ONLY ATTEMPT THESE IF YOU CAN DO AT LEAST 10 SOLID, NON CHEATED CHIN-UPS OR CAN DO 1-2 REPS WITH 45LBS MORE THAN BODYWEIGHT.

Start in the finished chin-up position. Elbows fully flexed and upper arm tucked to your sides. Release the bar and let yourself drop down. Then quickly grab the bar back and try to immediately stop your fall (no absorption once you catch the bar). The catch position should be with the elbows at about a 90 degrees angle.

If you cannot do 10 strict chin-ups and do 1-2 reps with an added 45lbs, use horizontal rows instead of chin-ups.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]ronald1919 wrote:
how do you do a drop and catch chin up ??[/quote]

FIRST… ONLY ATTEMPT THESE IF YOU CAN DO AT LEAST 10 SOLID, NON CHEATED CHIN-UPS OR CAN DO 1-2 REPS WITH 45LBS MORE THAN BODYWEIGHT.

Start in the finished chin-up position. Elbows fully flexed and upper arm tucked to your sides. Release the bar and let yourself drop down. Then quickly grab the bar back and try to immediately stop your fall (no absorption once you catch the bar). The catch position should be with the elbows at about a 90 degrees angle.

If you cannot do 10 strict chin-ups and do 1-2 reps with an added 45lbs, use horizontal rows instead of chin-ups.[/quote]
thank you for this info

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Well if you do a site search you will find some info about it since I wrote about them in a few articles.

It basically is a plymometric method that can be used with regular lifting exercises. It works mostly by “teaching” the body to recruit more fast twitch fibers. When you are catching a load the muscles must contract at a faster rate than during any other form of muscular action which will not only lead to a greater fast twitch muscle fiber activation but also because it is a reflexive contraction it will in fact use a reversed recruitment pattern (FT fibers recruited before ST fibers). When done over time this will program the body to rely more on the FT fibers during muscular contractions which will increase both strength and size potential in the future.[/quote]

Do you imagine rings to produce a similar/greater effect? Just playing around with ring combinations, front tuck into chinup into inverted trap chinup down into straddle lever, repeat etc…tears up all kinds of muscle fibers and hits bi’s/lats in patterns that iron alone can’t!

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Well if you do a site search you will find some info about it since I wrote about them in a few articles.

It basically is a plymometric method that can be used with regular lifting exercises. It works mostly by “teaching” the body to recruit more fast twitch fibers. When you are catching a load the muscles must contract at a faster rate than during any other form of muscular action which will not only lead to a greater fast twitch muscle fiber activation but also because it is a reflexive contraction it will in fact use a reversed recruitment pattern (FT fibers recruited before ST fibers). When done over time this will program the body to rely more on the FT fibers during muscular contractions which will increase both strength and size potential in the future.[/quote]

Do you imagine rings to produce a similar/greater effect? Just playing around with ring combinations, front tuck into chinup into inverted trap chinup down into straddle lever, repeat etc…tears up all kinds of muscle fibers and hits bi’s/lats in patterns that iron alone can’t![/quote]

It works similarily in some regards (micro-oscilation) but doesn’t have the same mechanism. And the goal is not to “tear muscle fibers:”… that is a retro way of thinking about growth stimulation. Growth stimulation is about cell signaling, not actual structural damage.

And even then, the mechanism of drop-and-catch is more similar to depth jumps it doesn’t cause much growth, it’s all about recruiting more motor units.

BTW, why do you always have a way to turn almost every thread you post in toward rings?

thanks for the answer

great job CT !

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
BTW, why do you always have a way to turn almost every thread you post in toward rings?[/quote] Looks like his username should have been Sméagol or Gollum…“my precious” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Would this still be an effective method on an assisted pull-up machine if one couldn’t do just their own bodyweight?

[quote]Basara187 wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]-Sigil- wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
BTW, why do you always have a way to turn almost every thread you post in toward rings?[/quote] Looks like his username should have been SmÃ?©agol or Gollum…“my precious” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Would this still be an effective method on an assisted pull-up machine if one couldn’t do just their own bodyweight?[/quote]

If you can’t do it with your own bodyweight you have no business using this method, not advanced enough.

“And the goal is not to ‘tear muscle fibers:’… that is a retro way of thinking about growth stimulation. Growth stimulation is about cell signaling, not actual structural damage.”

Could you elaborate on this? Isn’t microtrauma a mechanism (among others) that induces cell signaling (mgf in particular)?
(I realize this topic my be too in depth for this medium–article maybe?)