Driving the Masses Away from Exercise

[quote]rsg wrote:
mrw173 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
rsg wrote:
They should do a study on these studies.

They are a complete waste of money. Welfare for college professors.

I think they are only a complete waste of money when they are designed as poorly as this study was. A 2-year study of “oh here’s a treadmill and try to follow these dietary guidelines” becomes a study of compliance. It isn’t a fair test of how exercise intensity associates with weight loss.

Well then why even post such a study, anywhere?

That’s an F- as a project. Fail.[/quote]

The article would be more useful if the topic of discussion was consistent with what the results of the study supported.

Keep in mind that the researchers probably had very little, if any, say in what was written in the Times article. Often times the writer will spin the piece however they want, which can be very different than the actual scope of the study.

[quote]rsg wrote:
They should do a study on these studies.[/quote]

There actually was a study on studies, and it found most of them to be inaccurate if I remember correctly. I believe the article was in one of the major medical websites (medscape, webmd?), and somebody referenced it in a thread on here.

lol you people are really shocked by this or something?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Jakicic and his colleagues originally designed their study to measure whether weight loss could really be achieved and maintained through moderate-intensity exercise, akin to “walking when you’re late for a meeting,” he says, or whether it was preferable to engage in shorter bursts of more vigorous-intensity activity, “like, when you’re late for the bus, chasing it down.” The problem was that not enough of the women stuck with their assigned exercise categories for the researchers to gather enough meaningful data. Within a few months, most of the participants had resorted to exercising as much as they chose to. That left researchers with a slightly different data set than they had planned for, but they were still able to associate women’s reported physical activity with their weight loss.

So, children, as you can see, even though the study FAILED because the fat ladies didn’t stick to the program…scientists can still JUMP to conclusions.

Thank You, Science.

Say, “thank you”, children.[/quote]

And this surprises you!

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
A 2-year study of “oh here’s a treadmill and try to follow these dietary guidelines” becomes a study of compliance. [/quote]

So the conclusion of that study would then be, “Fatties can’t stick to a diet and exercise program.” Really? Who would have thunk it?

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
mrw173 wrote:
A 2-year study of “oh here’s a treadmill and try to follow these dietary guidelines” becomes a study of compliance.

So the conclusion of that study would then be, “Fatties can’t stick to a diet and exercise program.” Really? Who would have thunk it?

[/quote]

Surely you don’t think that overweight individuals can’t ever lose weight and maintain that weight loss.

The important questions would really be the type like what factors are associated with doing well vs. doing poorly.

You know, I get the “science doesn’t tell us crap” arguments when an article like that gets posted on here, but learning what controls behavior like successful dieting is something critical to just about everyone on here.

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
AngryVader wrote:
mrw173 wrote:
A 2-year study of “oh here’s a treadmill and try to follow these dietary guidelines” becomes a study of compliance.

Surely you don’t think that overweight individuals can’t ever lose weight and maintain that weight loss.

[/quote]

No, it’s impossible. They proved it in a study. And don’t call me, ‘Shirley’.

(Yes, I’m joking. I was in my previous post as well.)

[quote]mrw173 wrote:

The important questions would really be the type like what factors are associated with doing well vs. doing poorly.

You know, I get the “science doesn’t tell us crap” arguments when an article like that gets posted on here, but learning what controls behavior like successful dieting is something critical to just about everyone on here.[/quote]

While environment and peers can affect it, in the end you control your own behavior. The factors associated with doing well?

-motivation
-consistency
-a goal for personal achievement

When someone doesn’t go to class and gets kicked out of college as a result, there is no secret as to why they didn’t succeed. It is no different here.

People are lazy. They won’t even stick to a program when it is part of a study that might get published. It is the same reason most kids are now overweight. Why go outside when the X-Box is right there?

You have people who are “content” and will watch their bodies slowly degrade as a result, and you have those who are constantly pushing to do or be better. You can’t give that mindset to someone. They bring it to the table themselves.

There are so many bullshit studies in papers now writing what people want to hear not what they need to hear.

I read one the other day on how it is bad for your health to drink water…

The proof? A woman in the UK who suffered brain damage from water intoxication and from 1 example they think they can write an article saying how you can die from water and all this shit…they just failed to mention how much, which I think from the top of my head is like 12 litres(3gallons) in a day depending on physical activity.

mrw173 wrote:

You know, I get the “science doesn’t tell us crap” arguments when an article like that gets posted on here, but learning what controls behavior like successful dieting is something critical to just about everyone on here.

While environment and peers can affect it, in the end you control your own behavior. The factors associated with doing well?

-motivation
-consistency

When someone doesn’t go to class and gets kicked out of college as a result, there is no secret as to why they didn’t succeed. It is no different here.

People are lazy. They won’t even stick to a program when it is part of a study that might get published. It is the same reason most kids are now overweight. Why go outside when the X-Box is right there?

You have people who are “content” and will watch their bodies slowly degrade as a result, and you have those who are constantly pushing to do or be better. You can’t give that mindset to someone. They bring it to the table themselves.[/quote]

I don’t disagree with anything in your post.

That being said, what is responsible for the things that you mentioned, like motivation, consistency, and goals? I didn’t just wake up one day motivated to lift weights.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the “some people have it, and some people don’t” type of argument, but I do think the things you mentioned are changeable as well.

[quote]mrw173 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
mrw173 wrote:

-motivation
-consistency

You have people who are “content” and will watch their bodies slowly degrade as a result, and you have those who are constantly pushing to do or be better. You can’t give that mindset to someone. They bring it to the table themselves.

That being said, what is responsible for the things that you mentioned, like motivation, consistency, and goals? I didn’t just wake up one day motivated to lift weights.

I don’t necessarily disagree with the “some people have it, and some people don’t” type of argument, but I do think the things you mentioned are changeable as well.[/quote]

I’m glad you asked that because I was about to make a thread on the topic.

Your life experiences are primarily responsible for your motivation. This is one reason we need to put an end to the mentality that children need to be sheltered from any and all negative criticism.

Would I have pushed as hard in school or in the gym had I been told that everything I did was perfect from the start? Doubtful. I pushed hard because I saw areas that NEEDED improvement. Someone who hits their peak in high school may not be as motivated to make any changes at all.

A grown adult has their basic character set in stone and is much less likely to change if they have lived that way for 30+ years. There is still hope for the little brats under the age of 18 who are being told they get a gold star just for showing up to class.

If you want a country filled with pasty whining weak apathetic assholes, keep raising kids like it’s ok to be really fat and that any effort at all deserves praise.

If you want a country filled with fighters who are constantly working on improvement, you don’t hesitate to show them where they are coming up short (within reason) and you quit praising the slightest effort.

Take a look at the RMP forum and tell me which group makes up the majority today.

You would almost think someone planned this on a mass scale…

mrw173 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
mrw173 wrote:

-motivation
-consistency

I don’t necessarily disagree with the “some people have it, and some people don’t” type of argument, but I do think the things you mentioned are changeable as well.

I’m glad you asked that because I was about to make a thread on the topic.

Your life experiences are primarily responsible for your motivation. This is one reason we need to put an end to the mentality that children need to be sheltered from any and all negative criticism.

Would I have pushed as hard in school or in the gym had I been told that everything I did was perfect from the start? Doubtful. I pushed hard because I saw areas that NEEDED improvement. Someone who hits their peak in high school may not be as motivated to make any changes at all.

A grown adult has their basic character set in stone and is much less likely to change if they have lived that way for 30+ years. There is still hope for the little brats under the age of 18 who are being told they get a gold star just for showing up to class.

If you want a country filled with pasty whining weak apathetic assholes, keep raising kids like it’s ok to be really fat and that any effort at all deserves praise.

If you want a country filled with fighters who are constantly working on improvement, you don’t hesitate to show them where they are coming up short (within reason) and you quit praising the slightest effort.

Take a look at the RMP forum and tell me which group makes up the majority today.

You would almost think someone planned this on a mass scale…[/quote]

Completely agree. Good post.

well if your populace is physically strong, think critically, think independently and are questioning of authority figures then you can’t tell them what to believe or buy now can you ?