T Nation

Drive Of A Champion...

I have always felt ive had a strong drive of determination and ambition to be something out of the ordinary. Everyone would love to play a pro sport, but who would put their heart and soul into it? I am this guy. I love basketball, everything about it, from the jumpers, to the hard fouls, to the late nights of running and working on my game alone. I use Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade and Jason Williams as guys i look upto, guys with strong work ethic (Jason Williams when he was a kid practising in his gym his dad had the keys to, similar to me).

My drive to make it somewhere started to decrease a bit having a girlfriend and being so committed, but now recently after a year, we decided to be friends since she wanted to be with friends more and leaving no time for me, not fair to either of us… Anyways, its tough but the way she treated me near the middle of our relationship towards the end is questionable… so people say it’s best for me, i think the same way. If it happens again, She’ll come to me… and thats a decision i’ll have to make.

Anyways, Im 18 and my buddies are out drinking and having fun… living their lives as they tell me, while im in the gym working on my game, my turn around jumper, running baselines, and coming home after to lift weights, or else before. I play pickup as much as possible. I practise at game speed, and game situations. Im great at visualizing while i practise. Having the girlfriend, left me undecided about school andive missed ID camps for the Fall.

I hope a team will give me a chance, but anyways, tell me what u think. I have a dream of making the NBA or a Euro league team. I know itll be a tough long road. But im ready for it, all i want is a chance. A team or coach to take a chance on me, I wont make a fool of anyone…

[quote]mattydimes wrote:
I have always felt ive had a strong drive of determination and ambition to be something out of the ordinary. Everyone would love to play a pro sport, but who would put their heart and soul into it? I am this guy. I love basketball, everything about it, from the jumpers, to the hard fouls, to the late nights of running and working on my game alone. I use Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade and Jason Williams as guys i look upto, guys with strong work ethic (Jason Williams when he was a kid practising in his gym his dad had the keys to, similar to me).

My drive to make it somewhere started to decrease a bit having a girlfriend and being so committed, but now recently after a year, we decided to be friends since she wanted to be with friends more and leaving no time for me, not fair to either of us… Anyways, its tough but the way she treated me near the middle of our relationship towards the end is questionable… so people say it’s best for me, i think the same way. If it happens again, She’ll come to me… and thats a decision i’ll have to make.

Anyways, Im 18 and my buddies are out drinking and having fun… living their lives as they tell me, while im in the gym working on my game, my turn around jumper, running baselines, and coming home after to lift weights, or else before. I play pickup as much as possible. I practise at game speed, and game situations. Im great at visualizing while i practise. Having the girlfriend, left me undecided about school andive missed ID camps for the Fall.

I hope a team will give me a chance, but anyways, tell me what u think. I have a dream of making the NBA or a Euro league team. I know itll be a tough long road. But im ready for it, all i want is a chance. A team or coach to take a chance on me, I wont make a fool of anyone…[/quote]

I’m in the same boat albeit a bit younger. MY passion is bodybuilding. I love everything about it. I train diligently, eat diligently even practice poses even though I havn’t competed yet.

My friends tell me the same thing. And right now, I don’t have but a few close friends which is all I want and/or need. I try to make friends in the realm bodybuilding. I suggest you make your friends in the realm of basketball. Not only will it help you succeed via “Knowing people” (and trust me, in a lot of things in life, that is what makes some people excel faster than others) but you won’t neglect them because it will be easy to be around them. it might be hard to find some one in your area that shares the same goals but eventually you’ll find some one local. The interenet is a great place to make some friends that will help you succeed.

Personally, I’ve had a girlfirned in the past and I just simply couldn’t give her enough time. The two most important things to me are school and bodybuilding. And, between those two things, I don’t really ahve a lot of time to go to the movies and screw around. But, you know what, I don’t regret it one bit. I LOVE what I do and I’m happy and willing to accept that I won’t have a girlfriend or maybe even wife. I’ll be a hell of a lot better off financially that’s for sure (:p).

I’m not saying that’s for you however.

Follow your dreams man. If you got what it takes, don’t let it go to waste.

Thanks Man. Your words mean alot, I will take your advice. Thank you and good luck with ur Bodybuilding carreer, I wish you the best.

most champions spend inordinate amounts of time on the interweb asking other champions about how to be better champions … either that, or they masturbate a lot.

me? i do no such thing(s).

I’ve play hoops too and I’m 5’9. It’s tough b/c I have to play harder than most of the people I play b/c I’m alot shorter and by no means does it stop me from doing circles around everyone and leading my team in rebounds and swats 75% of the time. I love pullin down boards.

If you got to watch the Ultimate Fighter finale over the weekend it was a classic example of what your talkin about. Ed Herman would’ve rather passed out and died than tap to that RNC b/c he wanted that contract so bad. It was awesome.

I like to think by percentage, T-Nation is stronger and has more heart than any nation in the world. I’m very fortunate to find this place and would like to thank everyone for their contributions to making this place what is is today.

[quote]BASTARD GUY wrote:
most champions spend inordinate amounts of time on the interweb asking other champions about how to be better champions … either that, or they masturbate a lot.

me? i do no such thing(s).[/quote]

Is that why they call you BASTARD cause you sure sound like one.

[quote]BASTARD GUY wrote:
most champions spend inordinate amounts of time on the interweb asking other champions about how to be better champions … either that, or they masturbate a lot.

me? i do no such thing(s).[/quote]

Ah, it’s great to have ya back buddy!

don’t ever let your passionate attitude die. No matter whether you stick with basketball, bodybuilding, or whatever you love for the time being. Atleast realize that you do what you love because you love it. There has to be no ultimate goal to have the best goddamn time possible.

the 17-21 Years(which i’m still in right now) has been an emotional and revealing time for me. Each day i plague myself with questions i feel i never have an answer for. What’s more, is i see many of my peers give up when things get too tough in light of achieving their goals. I say fuck that, I scream at the top of my lungs when things get extremely difficult or i fail, and then i trudge on.
If i honestly want to do something i won’t waiver. You shouldn’t either, this passion has brought the most success to my life so far.

As far as making the professionals, no doubt in my mind and hopefully yours, that you can do it. People will come along to talk down to you, but they can do that all they want, don’t take their advice to heart if it interferes with what you want to do.

The girl issue, i’ve made a lot of mistakes when i was younger, letting my hormones get the best of me. I’ve always come out of an emotional breakup with a “life is over” kind of attitude, she was “my world” bullshit.
One huge mistake i was making in relationships is that at a young age i was constantly looking for a wife… and now looking back i’m thinking …what the fuck? How could i have been so stupid?

Take women as they come and go. You will go through plenty, and each one is a great experience.
The last thing you should be doing is “stressing” about women. They should be occassional relief or simply acquiantances, unless ofcourse you really do find one you want to spend much more time with.

then let it take you where it wants to go, but do not fall off a tower if it collapses, just realize it was good and now it’s time to look forward to building a new relationship.

thats my take on life and women.

If you had the true drive of a champion, it would carry over to keeping an eye on the best prospects for your future, which would be getting into college… and you blew it!

Drive without talent is a wasted effort. And true talent is easily recognized by your coaches, teachers and University scouts. These are the people you should go to for advice, yet you mention none of them in your post. Do you even have high school team experience?

You need the talent, a team and a good coach, son. Even then your chances of getting noticed are slim to none. Enjoy the sport but get a reality check before it’s too late.

"Having the girlfriend, left me undecided about school andive missed ID camps for the Fall.

I hope a team will give me a chance, but anyways, tell me what u think. I have a dream of making the NBA or a Euro league team. I know itll be a tough long road. But im ready for it, all i want is a chance. A team or coach to take a chance on me, I wont make a fool of anyone…"

I don’t think the Lakers will be pounding down your door because you spend 5 hours a day shooting free throws. The above poster is correct. What was your high school career like? Did you get a scholarship to a division I college?

It takes talent to go along with that drive. Get into a good division I college with a good coach ASAP.

[quote]A-Town Crown wrote:

If you got to watch the Ultimate Fighter finale over the weekend it was a classic example of what your talkin about. Ed Herman would’ve rather passed out and died than tap to that RNC b/c he wanted that contract so bad. It was awesome.

[/quote]

Just to shed a little bit of truth on this passage, in reality he wouldn’t have actually died. He would have passed out and woken up with a killer headache. No proffesional athlete is going to put his life on the line because he thinks it might further his career a bit. Don’t try to make this kid think that it is worth giving up everything to have a minute chance to play a professional sport.

There are plenty of people who dreamed of playing sports for a career but ended up doing something else. The ones that didn’t give up absolutely everything to chase a fleeting dream are the ones that are happy with their lives now.

Definitely chase your dream but don’t give up everything else, especially if it something that is way down on the possibiities list.

All good advice in this thread matty. Just ignore Bastard. He’s a complete troll.

True desire and heart are what make a champion. From Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Dan Gable, etc., these guys had a lot of talent but they also had the drive to go along with it.

If that desire really does exist in you, don’t ever lose it kid. In my opinion, it is what is best in man. People will come along and tell you that you should quit, and you should never listen.

I’m kind of reluctant to post this because I have to question whether true desire would want to talk about it on the internet, but I hope you pursue your dreams and you some day make them real.

You’re in a battle against yourself and the only one who can stop you is you.