T Nation

Drinking Shakes to Lose Weight?

I was at the gym yesterday, and I overheard a guy saying that he’s trying to lose weight, and he going to drink 6-8 shakes a day, and not eat any solid meals until he reaches his goal.

Is this very healthy to do? I know this is similar to the V-Diet, but the V-Diet at least recommends one solid meal per week.

The guy was kinda chubby, so I don’t know how long he plans on doing his plan for.

Anyone’s input is appreciated. I apologize if this has been covered already.

The solid meal was one of personal satisfaction I believe. Ya know when you just get that urge to CHEW something?

As long as the guy is taking fiber and a multi-vitamin he should be fine short term (or long-term I suppose). I’m hoping that there’s some fish oil, olive oil and maybe natural peanut butter in there somewhere.

Will power is the maker or breaker.

I wouldnt say its going to make you picture perfect health no but neither will the V-Diet but for short term extreme results sure go for it

Phill

Thanks derek and Phill for the info so far.

“V-Diet at least recommends one solid meal per week”

i’m sure i’ll be flamed for this, but that sounds like a shitty diet to me.

macro nutrients may be readily available through supplementation, but foods have many micro nutrients that can not be mimicked so easily.

why not just eat?

[quote]texasguy wrote:
“V-Diet at least recommends one solid meal per week”

i’m sure i’ll be flamed for this, but that sounds like a shitty diet to me.

macro nutrients may be readily available through supplementation, but foods have many micro nutrients that can not be mimicked so easily.

why not just eat?[/quote]

The V-diet is extremely more difficult than a diet needs to be. With that said, it also is easier to plan and easier to make mindless. If someone was asking me what extreme diet to use, I’d recommend Berardi’s get shredded.

The get shreeded diet may be hard to follow because u will be hungry a lot, but i think its better then having shakes as whole meals and not getting the proper nutrition unless you want to pop multiple pills a day for all the vitamins and minerals u get from food i kind of find that stupid.

u might be spending half ur day pissing instead of eating… who would want that

i piss every 20-30 minutes drinking over a gallon of water a day