T Nation

Drinking Raw Eggs?

Nutritionist buddy of mine has me drinkng raw eggs, anybody else do this?

Been discussed here before, but you're missing out on a lot of protein if you drink eggs raw

Google "avidin" and you'll see why

This is as dumb and archaic as so called super shakes. The supplement industry has improved since Rocky I, buy some Metabolic Drive, Superfood powder and blend.

Wouldn't call it dumb, just a lot of people aren't aware of it.

I thought it was perfectly fine until a prof told me in 1st year uni...

It's safe, just need to know where the egg comes from.

Pimp5000 is right, you get more bio available protein from cooking the eggs.....

Like i mentioned in another thread, just microwave the whites and throw them in a blender with ice + scoop of protein for flavor. You dont have to dirty up a pan and wash it, best part of the whole thing.

I do it for the convenience, not because I think I'm getting better protein.... I know I'm not.

I have been having 5 raw eggs/day in shakes for about a year now. Just regular store bought eggs. Never have had a problem.

Ever since i made my main protein source free-range organic raw eggs (anywhere from 12-72 raw eggs a day chugged) i feel a whole lot more better just in general and i am MUCH more happy with my mood and life.. just sayin

72 eggs a day? Respect.

MONSTERMATT why don't you boil them? I have a lot of eggs too, and the most convenient way I found to eat them is to boil them right after I buy them. I always have at least 10 boiled eggs in the fridge ready to eat.

I eat 4-8 raw eggs a day. Added to certain shakes. It's completely fine and very convenient. There are plenty of other well developed people eating more than that.

You simply arent 'missing out on protein' by eating raw eggs. THe issue with avidin is a NON issue if you eat whole eggs. Avidin binds to biotin. That's it's function. However, there is little need to fear developing a biotin deficiency unless you are consuming a lot of EGG WHITES ONLY. Avidin is found in the egg whites. Guess what's found in the yolk? BIOTIN. Eating whole eggs raw is completely fine. So either a professor's message was misinterpreted or the whole story wasnt told.

And the salmonella issue is something like 1 in 30,000 eggs. Every egg you eat has a 1 in 30,000 chance of being contaminated. A healthy adult has very little to worry about when it comes to salmonella from an egg.

There are actually whole threads on this that actually have factual information and not regurgitated tidbits from 3rd and 4th-hand sources.

I have nothing against raw eggs. Easy to consume, they can even be delicious if you know how to consume them. But, I rather scramble them, cause I like solid food better.

I don't think anyone should be mislead by that avidin-biotin thing, BONEZ is simply right. The problem was here, that due to the fear of cholesterol, everyone started to consume egg whites only...

Luckily, most of the people got over that old cholesterol myth a long time ago.

You're right - avidin is not the issue here.

While this study utilized a test group that doesn't necessarily reflect the average T-Nation user (ileostomy patients), I still found it interesting:

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/10/1716.abstract

"In this study, it was shown that after ingestion of 25 g of raw egg protein, almost 50% is malabsorbed over 24 h. The higher digestibility of cooked egg protein presumably results from structural changes in the protein molecule induced by heating, thereby enabling the digestive enzymes to gain broader access to the peptide bonds."

I stand corrected on the protein loss part. Thanks for that Pimpbot

No problem.