Drinking Coke after a Workout

[quote]bodybuilder01 wrote:
Bicep_craze wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Trenchant wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:
Rexer666 wrote:

This is like the 3rd or 4th time I’ve talked about this and I’m trying to find out what dumbass in a magazine or online article wrote it…that way I can find them and kill them so they don’t spread any more bad advice…it seems to be like the plague spreading from person to person these days.

no offense OP if I had heard this a while back I’d be curious too…I’ve just had a lot of discussions on this topic already lol

DG

I think it came from it being reported that Cutler’s PWO meal for a while was ice cream and soda

lol and they forgot to add that he’s probably taking 10+iu insulin with that…then 20mins later a steak or something lol

*disclaimer…if you don’t know how to use insulin DONT!

DG

naaahhh he’s natural

Yeah Jay Cutler’s natural, that’s the funniest thing I have heard this year. And so is Ronnie Coleman, and all those IFBB guys. It must be just a coincendence that they never test for those shows. LOL

:slight_smile:

[/quote]

Did anyone even mention that?

[quote]Kef wrote:
I drink a 1 L of yogurt. 35g protein , 150g carbohydrates and 20g fats. Almost 1000kcal and when i get home an hour later i eat some chicken breast with potatoes, bread and green salad.

Yogurt is such a great recovery drink in my humble opinion.[/quote]

I mix yogurt in with my shakes, but it’s not really for the extra macros. I’ll get bloated as hell if I don’t. Never really thought of consuming it as a meal in and of itself, but I’ll definitely keep it in mind for the next time I’m having trouble gaining.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
While we are on the soda topic, was wonderin what everyone’s take on diet soda is. Drinking water with every meal gets a bit boring and I need something with flavor. Anyone got any advice on healthy flavored drinks? Ice Tea, diet soda? What do yall drink?

Whole Milk.

I stay away from any kind soda. I dont like aspartame.

I always wonder why most insist on whole milk. the skim milk in my grocery store has more protein than the whole milk… is there somethin im missin?

Calories.

Ok, but isnt protein more important than calories? Wouldnt the one with more protein benefit u more (muscle growth wise) than less protein and more calories?

Calories are the most important aspect when it comes to gaining lean body mass. It doesn’t matter how much protein you are eating if you aren’t eating enough calories overall to grow.

Isn’t there a beginner’s section?[/quote]

Yeah, but everybody in there is too damn scared of gaining fat to gain any muscle. There are a few of us preaching the word, but it doesn’t seem to be getting through.

The whole ‘stay away from carbs’ BS is getting old. I wish I could choke that Atkins bastard.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
While we are on the soda topic, was wonderin what everyone’s take on diet soda is. Drinking water with every meal gets a bit boring and I need something with flavor. Anyone got any advice on healthy flavored drinks? Ice Tea, diet soda? What do yall drink?

Whole Milk.

I stay away from any kind soda. I dont like aspartame.

I always wonder why most insist on whole milk. the skim milk in my grocery store has more protein than the whole milk… is there somethin im missin?

Calories.

Ok, but isnt protein more important than calories? Wouldnt the one with more protein benefit u more (muscle growth wise) than less protein and more calories?

Calories are the most important aspect when it comes to gaining lean body mass. It doesn’t matter how much protein you are eating if you aren’t eating enough calories overall to grow.

Isn’t there a beginner’s section?[/quote]

Sorry, didn’t know I couldn’t ask questions here… I guess I should have asked in the “beginners” section… However, I doubt I would get very accurate answers… Didn’t know this forum was for pros and experts only… but thanks for the tip, il try switchin to whole milk…

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
While we are on the soda topic, was wonderin what everyone’s take on diet soda is. Drinking water with every meal gets a bit boring and I need something with flavor. Anyone got any advice on healthy flavored drinks? Ice Tea, diet soda? What do yall drink?

Whole Milk.

I stay away from any kind soda. I dont like aspartame.

I always wonder why most insist on whole milk. the skim milk in my grocery store has more protein than the whole milk… is there somethin im missin?

Calories.

Ok, but isnt protein more important than calories? Wouldnt the one with more protein benefit u more (muscle growth wise) than less protein and more calories?

Calories are the most important aspect when it comes to gaining lean body mass. It doesn’t matter how much protein you are eating if you aren’t eating enough calories overall to grow.

Isn’t there a beginner’s section?

Sorry, didn’t know I couldn’t ask questions here… I guess I should have asked in the “beginners” section… However, I doubt I would get very accurate answers… Didn’t know this forum was for pros and experts only… but thanks for the tip, il try switchin to whole milk…[/quote]

This isn’t about simply asking questions. This is about being in the dark so much that you thought your protein intake alone was going to magically put muscle on you. It shows complete inexperience and while some of that is tolerated, if someone tells you that calories are most important, should your response really be that you thought protein was more important than calories?

Why would you think that?

Why would you assume that the big guy telling you something is so wrong on an issue that basic?

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:

Sorry, didn’t know I couldn’t ask questions here… I guess I should have asked in the “beginners” section… However, I doubt I would get very accurate answers… Didn’t know this forum was for pros and experts only… but thanks for the tip, il try switchin to whole milk…[/quote]

You can ask here, however as you can see er there are alot of people providing a bit … suspect information.

Beginners forum has a good few people who know what they are on about, and less its easier to tell who knows and who is talking out their arse.

Best of luck with your training

:slight_smile:

Carbonation actually increases speed of absorption, it doesn’t slow it down. Since a post workout shake is in liquid form anyway though, that really doesn’t matter. Out of curiousity, what does your post workout shake or meal look like X under ideal circumstances?

[quote]Da Vinci wrote:
Carbonation actually increases speed of absorption, it doesn’t slow it down. Since a post workout shake is in liquid form anyway though, that really doesn’t matter. Out of curiousity, what does your post workout shake or meal look like X under ideal circumstances?[/quote]

I don’t usually drink a shake right after a workout. I may just drink something with carbs in it as I usually have no appetite for about 30-45min. After that I eat a regular meal when my stomach calms down.

I made that previous comment about “Coke” (a beverage I hate with all my heart…I would rather drink rootbeer), because some people here seem to believe all progress would stop if they dared drink a soda. That’s retarded. You will not always have IDEAL circumstances and those who figure out the basics so they can act accordingly to the situation will always make more progress in the long run.

I know how I feel right after training. I feel drained and wiped out. Carbs help me NOT feel that way so that is my primary focus regardless of what some random study may come up with down the road.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Da Vinci wrote:
Carbonation actually increases speed of absorption, it doesn’t slow it down. Since a post workout shake is in liquid form anyway though, that really doesn’t matter. Out of curiousity, what does your post workout shake or meal look like X under ideal circumstances?

I don’t usually drink a shake right after a workout. I may just drink something with carbs in it as I usually have no appetite for about 30-45min. After that I eat a regular meal when my stomach calms down.

I made that previous comment about “Coke” (a beverage I hate with all my heart…I would rather drink rootbeer), because some people here seem to believe all progress would stop if they dared drink a soda. That’s retarded. You will not always have IDEAL circumstances and those who figure out the basics so they can act accordingly to the situation will always make more progress in the long run.

I know how I feel right after training. I feel drained and wiped out. Carbs help me NOT feel that way so that is my primary focus regardless of what some random study may come up with down the road.[/quote]

For a long time I didn’t have anything near me IMMEDIATELY after a workout except for sodas from the machine (and some Yarnell ice cream). Guess what? I fucking grew!

Also, as far as calories are concerned, they are the foundation. Go ahead and see-start making calories the most important aspect and you’ll grow. I sure as hell did.

[quote]bodybuilder01 wrote:

Yeah Jay Cutler’s natural, that’s the funniest thing I have heard this year. And so is Ronnie Coleman, and all those IFBB guys. It must be just a coincendence that they never test for those shows. LOL

[/quote]

…dude…seriously…I put a smiley in the end. My post went like

"Naaaah hes natural

:)" <<---------------------- a few lines down

It was meant to be sarcastic…Gesus…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
While we are on the soda topic, was wonderin what everyone’s take on diet soda is. Drinking water with every meal gets a bit boring and I need something with flavor. Anyone got any advice on healthy flavored drinks? Ice Tea, diet soda? What do yall drink?

Whole Milk.

I stay away from any kind soda. I dont like aspartame.

I always wonder why most insist on whole milk. the skim milk in my grocery store has more protein than the whole milk… is there somethin im missin?

Calories.

Ok, but isnt protein more important than calories? Wouldnt the one with more protein benefit u more (muscle growth wise) than less protein and more calories?

Calories are the most important aspect when it comes to gaining lean body mass. It doesn’t matter how much protein you are eating if you aren’t eating enough calories overall to grow.

Isn’t there a beginner’s section?

Sorry, didn’t know I couldn’t ask questions here… I guess I should have asked in the “beginners” section… However, I doubt I would get very accurate answers… Didn’t know this forum was for pros and experts only… but thanks for the tip, il try switchin to whole milk…

This isn’t about simply asking questions. This is about being in the dark so much that you thought your protein intake alone was going to magically put muscle on you. It shows complete inexperience and while some of that is tolerated, if someone tells you that calories are most important, should your response really be that you thought protein was more important than calories?

Why would you think that?

Why would you assume that the big guy telling you something is so wrong on an issue that basic?[/quote]

wasnt questioning whether calories or protein intake is more important. i usually drink skim milk throughout the day for better and faster protein since it drinking whey makes more sense with skim as there is less fat and the muscle receives the protein faster than with whole. whole i might start drinking before bedime with my slow release protein now that i think about it, and i guess the extra calories are good for me before bed anyway… i think there are benefits for whole and skim, and i was just askin y everyone seems to be so pro whole, u can get calories in other ways as well… wasnt doubting calorie intake. and yes, calorie intake is very important but u do need calories made up of meaningful components, otherwise i would just eat mcdonalds all day long and gain muscle…

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Professor X wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
Drizzt wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
While we are on the soda topic, was wonderin what everyone’s take on diet soda is. Drinking water with every meal gets a bit boring and I need something with flavor. Anyone got any advice on healthy flavored drinks? Ice Tea, diet soda? What do yall drink?

Whole Milk.

I stay away from any kind soda. I dont like aspartame.

I always wonder why most insist on whole milk. the skim milk in my grocery store has more protein than the whole milk… is there somethin im missin?

Calories.

Ok, but isnt protein more important than calories? Wouldnt the one with more protein benefit u more (muscle growth wise) than less protein and more calories?

Calories are the most important aspect when it comes to gaining lean body mass. It doesn’t matter how much protein you are eating if you aren’t eating enough calories overall to grow.

Isn’t there a beginner’s section?

Sorry, didn’t know I couldn’t ask questions here… I guess I should have asked in the “beginners” section… However, I doubt I would get very accurate answers… Didn’t know this forum was for pros and experts only… but thanks for the tip, il try switchin to whole milk…

This isn’t about simply asking questions. This is about being in the dark so much that you thought your protein intake alone was going to magically put muscle on you. It shows complete inexperience and while some of that is tolerated, if someone tells you that calories are most important, should your response really be that you thought protein was more important than calories?

Why would you think that?

Why would you assume that the big guy telling you something is so wrong on an issue that basic?

wasnt questioning whether calories or protein intake is more important. i usually drink skim milk throughout the day for better and faster protein since it drinking whey makes more sense with skim as there is less fat and the muscle receives the protein faster than with whole. whole i might start drinking before bedime with my slow release protein now that i think about it, and i guess the extra calories are good for me before bed anyway… i think there are benefits for whole and skim, and i was just askin y everyone seems to be so pro whole, u can get calories in other ways as well… wasnt doubting calorie intake. and yes, calorie intake is very important but u do need calories made up of meaningful components, otherwise i would just eat mcdonalds all day long and gain muscle…

[/quote]

If you are eating several times a day, why would you be that worried about whey protein shakes being absorbed that quickly? You might have a point there when it comes to directly after training, but that is about the ONLY time that your concern holds any merit.

in the morning perhaps… havin a whey shake when u wake up instead of havin eggs or somethin…

pretty much anytime u take a whey shake, cuz isnt that the point of isolate? fast acting…

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
in the morning perhaps… havin a whey shake when u wake up instead of havin eggs or somethin… [/quote]

I want you to give a good reason for avoiding eggs in the morning for a whey protein shake other than “it gets absorbed fast”. Fast absorption is a NON-ISSUE if you are eating several times a day. Do you avoid steaks because they don’t “absorb” as fast?

Using your logic, why not just drink protein shakes all day and forget about real food?

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
pretty much anytime u take a whey shake, cuz isnt that the point of isolate? fast acting…[/quote]

Breakfast should be the most calorically dense meal of the day. Why the fuck would you want just a shake for fucking breakfast?

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
in the morning perhaps… havin a whey shake when u wake up instead of havin eggs or somethin… [/quote]

Why is fast acting in the morning an issue? It’s the FIRST meal of the day, it’s not like you have a 20 minute window of opportunity in the morning to absorb nutrients otherwise the excess just gets shitted out.

k, my point here is getting a bit overlooked by trying to prove whos right and who is wrong… we went from skim milk sucks and whole milk is way better to now whey in the morning sucks and eggs are better… i like havin a whey shake in the morning along with a large breakfast… i dont like eating too many eggs and since i eat about 2 hours later i choose a whey shake over other forms of protein shakes… the reason i choose the whey shake is because i havnt had anything for at least the past 8 hours while i was sleeping… hense, thats why i choose a fast acting form of protein… am i really the only one that finds this logical??

[quote]That One Guy wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
pretty much anytime u take a whey shake, cuz isnt that the point of isolate? fast acting…

Breakfast should be the most calorically dense meal of the day. Why the fuck would you want just a shake for fucking breakfast?[/quote]

i fuckin didnt say all i fuckin have is a fuckin shake for breakfast, its just fuckin part of my fuckin breakfast… and shit…

[quote]ebraunschweiler wrote:
That One Guy wrote:
ebraunschweiler wrote:
pretty much anytime u take a whey shake, cuz isnt that the point of isolate? fast acting…

Breakfast should be the most calorically dense meal of the day. Why the fuck would you want just a shake for fucking breakfast?

i fuckin didnt say all i fuckin have is a fuckin shake for breakfast, its just fuckin part of my fuckin breakfast… and shit…
[/quote]

Translation: “I prefer a protein shake as my protein source during breakfast to BREAK the catabolic state I have been during the night FAST”

I’m spending way too much time on this website.