T Nation

Drinking Age

Interesting that the conservative WSJ is giving fair play to the discussion that perhaps the drinking age should be lowered and the liberal San Francisco Chronicle is opposing it.

Who wants to micromanage our lives again?

It’s Bush, dumbass. It’s ALWAYS Bush. Have you learned nothing from the last 8 years?

There’s a drinking age?

Sure, but liberals do their micromanaging in the name of “the children”, which makes it ok.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
Sure, but liberals do their micromanaging in the name of “the children”, which makes it ok.[/quote]

You see, I’m all for doing things “for the children”. For example, I support a drinking age that is in line with the child’s age… something like 1 drink for every year of age. That way you never have to worry about a kid under twelve polishing off a 12 pack of beer.

I think this will lead to more teen rape, pregnancy and more STD’s.

[quote]jawara wrote:
I think this will lead to more teen rape, pregnancy and more STD’s.[/quote]

In some cases. It will also lead to more responsible drinking in others.

Teenagers getting drunk in the woods away from older adults can be much more troublesome than teenagers drinking in sight of adults.

Old enough to fight for the country is old enough to have a beer in my book.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Old enough to fight for the country is old enough to have a beer in my book. [/quote]

Old enough to be tried as an adult, as well.

I have a real problem with someone having the responsibilities of adulthood without the rights.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Old enough to fight for the country is old enough to have a beer in my book. [/quote]

I’ve always thought this as well but I’m torn on the issue.

On one hand I look at how my friends and I acted when we were 17-20 and we were SO much more irresponsible in our decisions than when we were 21+ (especially 23 to now). Maybe we just learned from our mistakes then.

On the other hand if you can be trusted to choose a president and kill people in war then you should be trusted consume beer.

I look at a lot of 18 year olds though and think to myself maybe we should raise the military age minimum. (Semi-kidding)

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I have a real problem with someone having the responsibilities of adulthood without the rights.[/quote]

I don’t know why the age was moved to 21 in the first place. I grew up at the tail end of 18 being the drinking age in Texas. All changing the drinking age did was raise revenue for the local cops because they could hand out more MIP tickets.

Lower it to 18 - who cares? It’s not like the 18-20 demographic ain’t already drinking.

The real (possible) problem of lowering the drinking age is that you might also lower the age of illicit drinkers as well. If you’ve got 18-year olds drinking now thinking that they’re “close enough”, then perhaps after the age is dropped you’ll have the same thing happening with 15 or 16-year olds.

Either way the argument that “they are going to drink anyway” is the wrong reason to change the law. Changing it to more properly reflect the level of maturity we expect to see demonstrated in 18-year olds is the right reason to change it. Hopefully raising expectations in this regard will result in a congruent rise in said maturity.

[quote]jawara wrote:
I think this will lead to more teen rape, pregnancy and more STD’s.[/quote]

I’m not so sure.

Bingo. It’s a revenue stream that the liberals up in SF can later use for social welfare tampering.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
The real (possible) problem of lowering the drinking age is that you might also lower the age of illicit drinkers as well. If you’ve got 18-year olds drinking now thinking that they’re “close enough”, then perhaps after the age is dropped you’ll have the same thing happening with 15 or 16-year olds.

[/quote]

It’s not like everyone doesn’t drink at 15-16 or earlier already anyways.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:

[/quote]

[quote]nephorm wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I have a real problem with someone having the responsibilities of adulthood without the rights.[/quote]

I agree completely

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
MrRezister wrote:

It’s not like everyone doesn’t drink at 15-16 or earlier already anyways.[/quote]

My drinking peaked just prior to my 16th birthday…after that I had so share DD responsibilities. By the time I could legally drink in clubs (19) it had already lost its luster.

[quote]Ruggerlife wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:
MrRezister wrote:

My drinking peaked just prior to my 16th birthday…after that I had so share DD responsibilities. By the time I could legally drink in clubs (19) it had already lost its luster.
[/quote]

x2 except I’m not 19 yet.

[quote]MrRezister wrote:
Sure, but liberals do their micromanaging in the name of “the children”, which makes it ok.[/quote]

Yes…That’s why in my campain for the Pat Party my mantra is “Fuck the children”. Children are the parent’s problem not the government’s.

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:
nephorm wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:

I have a real problem with someone having the responsibilities of adulthood without the rights.

I agree completely

[/quote]

This is all that needs to be said, raise the enlistment age and the “tried as an adult age” or lower the drinking age. You are either an adult or not.