Drinking a Coke Postworkout

It was suggested to me that I should slam back a coke after I workout to spike my insulin levels.

Yes, no, kick him in the nuts?

[quote]Liquid447 wrote:
It was suggested to me that I should slam back a coke after I workout to spike my insulin levels.

Yes, no, kick him in the nuts?[/quote]

Read the article on Surge in the T-Nation store for an explanation regarding spiked insulin combined with protein aminos for increased muscle recovery. A Coke by itself no but a Coke with a handful of aminos could be understood but very rudimentary as compared to using Surge.

D

milk would be a better option.

and kick him in the nuts for the hell of it…

…when i first started lifting i drank orange soda after a workout for about a month.

we all do stupid things from time to time.

The real question is, after you´ve spiked your insuline levels, then what?

You would not do that just for fun, wouldn´t you?

And you´d need fast acting carbs and protein so such an insulin spike could cramm them into the muscle.

I wonder if anyone sells such a combination…

You also don’t want to spike your insulin levels with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which im sure will do little to replenish your glycogen stores.

[quote]elusive wrote:
You also don’t want to spike your insulin levels with High Fructose Corn Syrup, which im sure will do little to replenish your glycogen stores.[/quote]

Beyond all the corn syrup and such, how about all the chemicals you are using? There are much better options like those above.

thanks guys!

[quote]B rocK wrote:
and kick him in the nuts for the hell of it… [/quote]

Seconded.

Loads of chocolate milk will be a far better option.

A coke won’t really spike your insulin levels because all the sugar is contained in high fructose corn syrup. “Unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate a substantial insulin release.” --Dr. John Berardi

A Coke with protein could make sense when you dont do it on a regular basis. I for myself had today after my American football training chicken and paprika with coke. Its nothing bad about it when you do it at times. You get all you need. Fast carbs, slow protein and little fat.
Sure it is not the maximum but a solid option.

[quote]mbm693 wrote:
A coke won’t really spike your insulin levels because all the sugar is contained in high fructose corn syrup. “Unlike glucose, fructose does not stimulate a substantial insulin release.” --Dr. John Berardi[/quote]

I think, despite of the quote of Dr. Berardi, that it is a PWO. Sure not the best and nothing for an constant routine but a possibility

Drinking a Coke Post-Workout is probably one of the worst Post-Workout Meals you could have. Steak and Beer would probably be a safer choice.

That said, I know a pretty kickass road rider and XC Mountain biker with massive legs who pounds a Coke after every ride. He’s done several 24-hour XC Mountain bike rides. I don’t think he drinks alcohol at all. In fact, I think Coca Cola is his only vice. He doesn’t take in any other sugars, sweets, white breads, or anything else in his diet like Coke. It’s all health food besides that.

So I’d wager that you could have a Coke Post-Workout if the rest of your life is totally optimized.

last time i checked coke or carbonated beverages in general don’t contain protein

[quote]FightingScott wrote:
Drinking a Coke Post-Workout is probably one of the worst Post-Workout Meals you could have. Steak and Beer would probably be a safer choice.

That said, I know a pretty kickass road rider and XC Mountain biker with massive legs who pounds a Coke after every ride. He’s done several 24-hour XC Mountain bike rides. I don’t think he drinks alcohol at all. In fact, I think Coca Cola is his only vice. He doesn’t take in any other sugars, sweets, white breads, or anything else in his diet like Coke. It’s all health food besides that.

So I’d wager that you could have a Coke Post-Workout if the rest of your life is totally optimized. [/quote]

He probably does that because, as JB suggests, even the crappiest carbs are least damaging right after exercise.

Coke will spike your insulin…just because its high fructose corn syrup does not mean its mostly fructose…its still CORN syrup. The difference in fructose btw regular corn syrup and HFCS is actually not very much.

[quote]wirewound wrote:

He probably does that because, as JB suggests, even the crappiest carbs are least damaging right after exercise.[/quote]

No. He’s knowledgeable enough to know that EnduroX or Waxy Maize or some smart PWO carb would be best, but he just drinks Coke because he likes coke. It’s that simple.

[quote]Dubbz wrote:
Coke will spike your insulin…just because its high fructose corn syrup does not mean its mostly fructose…its still CORN syrup. The difference in fructose btw regular corn syrup and HFCS is actually not very much.[/quote]

I am not an expert on this nor do I play one on the internet, however Dr. Scott Connelly (inventer of Met-Rx) said in an interview that HFCS “is the AntiChrist of sweeteners” further more stated that the body metabolized HFCS differently than sugar there by not allowing the body to use it directly as ATP for the muscles…

Any way Jay Cutler drinks a coke and a protein shake post workout in the off season bulking…

First beer, now coke…what’s next PWO pop tarts!?

nah, toaster strudels.

[quote]Digity wrote:
First beer, now coke…what’s next PWO pop tarts!?[/quote]

In case you don’t know, this guy squats 1000+ and benches/deadlifts 800+