Drew Brees

Gettinitdone is the most retarded person ever. Nothing he’s ever posted made sense to anyone.

I bet he drools constantly.

Honestly, if they keep pushing football further and further towards a bitch sport by not allowing you to lay a hand on either the quarterback or the receiver during a passing play, I suspect the record will be broken repeatedly and time and time again.

You don’t have to be a great quarterback to hold records anymore.

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
Honestly, if they keep pushing football further and further towards a bitch sport by not allowing you to lay a hand on either the quarterback or the receiver during a passing play, I suspect the record will be broken repeatedly and time and time again.

You don’t have to be a great quarterback to hold records anymore. [/quote]

I agree with you.

Doesn’t mean Drew isn’t great though.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
Gettinitdone is the most retarded person ever. Nothing he’s ever posted made sense to anyone.

I bet he drools constantly.[/quote]

Yes, and anyone who’s spent time in the NFL threads knows about this clown.

[quote]Gettnitdone wrote:
I remember watching Brady in 2007 and Brees in 2009 and just marvelling at these two guys single handedly carrying their teams and causing mayhem.

I wonder how long before Cam Newton breaks the record. Newton is the potential GOAT.[/quote]

Or Manning carrying his team ever since he got drafted.

Take your clothes off worthless slut[/quote]

I sincerely apologize for ever saying a negative thing about you…you sir, are royalty

[quote]SSC wrote:

I bet he drools constantly.[/quote]

Yes, and anyone who’s spent time in the NFL threads knows about this clown.[/quote]

I haven’t but now I must.

[quote]Chushin wrote:

[quote]simpstr1 wrote:

[quote]Chushin wrote:
No idea what you’re talking about Simp, but wanted to say Happy Holidays to you! :-)[/quote]

THank you!!![/quote]

:slight_smile:

Is that YOUR tree?

In any case, much appreciated, since I don’t get a tree here in the land of the Setting Sun. :frowning:

But doubly cool if it’s yours…[/quote]

Its actually the tree in my Moms hospital.
Here is mine.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:
Drew Brees is a stud.
It was awesome watching the Superdome erupt when he broke the record.
He’s a great QB.[/quote]

Hearing it is even better!

No doubt the game has evolved but the creativity and design between Peyton/Brees is a beutiful thing to watch. And it still takes outstanding play to do it. Bottom line: The record book won’t have a footnote about hte game being different.

Beyond all that, growing up in Louisiana and the Saints being the Aints for so long we are just enjoying it all.

Brady is probably going to eclipse Marino this week as well, and Rodgers would have a shot if the Packers still had something to play for. It’s not very meaningful when two people do it in the same season.

Hell, Rodgers could set records for yards, TDs, and passer rating with one more monster game.

All this means is that the standard for records has changed.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
That record means nothing. Quarterbacks throw from a virtual cocoon compared to when Marino played. The rules are FAR more tailored to favor the QB than they were in 1984. Besides, his run’s going to end against the Niners in the playoffs anyways and he’ll just be another footnote on the Niners’ run to the Super Bowl title, just Marino was in 1984.[/quote]

right on, Marino’s record stood for so many years, now you have Brees, Brady going to break it, and Rodgers could have. its the league rules being difference, the pussy calls on secondaries.

I’d humbly posit that the game itself has changed in ways that make the record at least as remarkable as Marino’s, and therefore worthy of the same level of recognition and honor.

Let’s put Marino’s record into perspective. From 1974-1983 (the year prior to Marino’s record), teams passed on average 46% of offensive plays. This is only part of the story. From 1974-1979, teams passed 43% of plays, and from 1980-1983, they passed 50% of plays from scrimmage. Marino’s record is one of three that were set from 1979-1984: in 1979, Dan Fouts passed for 4082 yards, in 1980, Fouts passed for an astounding 4715 yds, and in 1982, he passed for 4802 yds. Prior to Fouts’ record in 1979, the record was 4007 yds, set by Joe Namath in 1967.

So, when Marino set the record in 1984, it was part of a shift in the game, and could easily be predicted. However, it can’t be denied that this shift was recent in the contemporary sense: from 1968 to 1978, the leading passer passed for over 3500 yds only twice, and teams ran the ball 54% of the time. From 1979-1984, only the strike shortened season of 1982 saw the leading passer pass for LESS than 4000 yards (a side note on that strike shortened season: Dan Fouts threw for 2883 in 9 games…if he carried that pace for 16 games, he’d have thrown for 5125 yards). As stated above from 1979-1984, teams ran and passed equally, indicating that the running game was still a major focus of offenses league-wide.

Let’s contrast this with the past ten years. From 2001-2010, teams passed 54% of offensive plays. Each year, the league’s leading passer has passed over 4000 yards, but only Drew Brees in 2009 (before ALL of the current pussification rules were in effect) came within 100 yards of Marino’s record. Even then, only a few times (4 I think) did a QB surpass 4500 yards.

It could be argued, then, that while in 1984, defenses had yet to adequately respond to the prolific passing attacks, from 2001-2010, defenses had stopped the onslaught, and passing yardage evened out. Thus, when the rules changed, defenses were no longer equal to the offenses, but AGAIN at a disadvantage. If that is the case, then the situations are somewhat equivalent.

[quote]pushharder wrote:

[quote]Meni69 wrote:

…its the league rules being difference…

[/quote]

Like the one that in essence says a defensive player’s head and helmet cannot come within three feet of a QB during a tackle.[/quote]

Ninja kick the bastards.

That or blowguns.

[quote]defenderofTruth wrote:
I’d humbly posit that the game itself has changed in ways that make the record at least as remarkable as Marino’s, and therefore worthy of the same level of recognition and honor.

Let’s put Marino’s record into perspective. From 1974-1983 (the year prior to Marino’s record), teams passed on average 46% of offensive plays. This is only part of the story. From 1974-1979, teams passed 43% of plays, and from 1980-1983, they passed 50% of plays from scrimmage. Marino’s record is one of three that were set from 1979-1984: in 1979, Dan Fouts passed for 4082 yards, in 1980, Fouts passed for an astounding 4715 yds, and in 1982, he passed for 4802 yds. Prior to Fouts’ record in 1979, the record was 4007 yds, set by Joe Namath in 1967.

So, when Marino set the record in 1984, it was part of a shift in the game, and could easily be predicted. However, it can’t be denied that this shift was recent in the contemporary sense: from 1968 to 1978, the leading passer passed for over 3500 yds only twice, and teams ran the ball 54% of the time. From 1979-1984, only the strike shortened season of 1982 saw the leading passer pass for LESS than 4000 yards (a side note on that strike shortened season: Dan Fouts threw for 2883 in 9 games…if he carried that pace for 16 games, he’d have thrown for 5125 yards). As stated above from 1979-1984, teams ran and passed equally, indicating that the running game was still a major focus of offenses league-wide.

Let’s contrast this with the past ten years. From 2001-2010, teams passed 54% of offensive plays. Each year, the league’s leading passer has passed over 4000 yards, but only Drew Brees in 2009 (before ALL of the current pussification rules were in effect) came within 100 yards of Marino’s record. Even then, only a few times (4 I think) did a QB surpass 4500 yards.

It could be argued, then, that while in 1984, defenses had yet to adequately respond to the prolific passing attacks, from 2001-2010, defenses had stopped the onslaught, and passing yardage evened out. Thus, when the rules changed, defenses were no longer equal to the offenses, but AGAIN at a disadvantage. If that is the case, then the situations are somewhat equivalent.

[/quote]

I think it has more to do with the fact that you can’t touch a receiver 5 yards past scrimmage or even look at a QB the wrong way without getting penalized in today’s NFL.

[/quote]

No matter how humbly you posit, there’s no denying that a record cheapens when it is potentially broken 3 times in one season. For instance, I don’t think anyone here would deny, steroid use aside, that McGwire’s HR record in 1998 was cheapened by the fact that the following several years Maris’ HR total from 1961 was surpassed each of those years.

[quote]overstand wrote:

[/quote]

I think it has more to do with the fact that you can’t touch a receiver 5 yards past scrimmage or even look at a QB the wrong way without getting penalized in today’s NFL. [/quote]

That is, assuming you are not a *black, scrambling quarterback.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]overstand wrote:

[/quote]

I think it has more to do with the fact that you can’t touch a receiver 5 yards past scrimmage or even look at a QB the wrong way without getting penalized in today’s NFL. [/quote]

That is, assuming you are not a *black, scrambling quarterback.[/quote]

Tim Tebow isn’t black, and when was the last time they called roughing the QB on him?

(But I guess it helps that he is the size of some LBs)